Timken Diff ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Timken Diff ??

Other than the basic instructions in the manual, are there any wierd things I need to know about changing a pinion seal on an old Timken split center diff?

I do not think there is anything odd, but I thought I would ask.

I thought I would throw my two cents in here. Assuming yours is the same as mine, it should not be a problem.

1. Remove u-bolts that attach the u-joint to the yoke.
    2. Remove drive shaft from yoke, no need to remove other end of drive shaft.
    3. Remove cotter pin from pinion/yoke nut/
    4. Loosen yoke nut 5 turns. May need to use and impact wrench.
    5. Attach a pulley puller to yoke and separate the yoke from pinion shaft.
    6. Remove pinion nut and yoke from pinion.
    7. Remove the bolts attaching the pinion carrier from differential housing.
    8. Remove pinion cover that holds the pinion seal.
    9. Replace seal in pinion cover. Apply oil to the seal.
    10. Reassemble.

If you are concerned that an impact wrench may damage the pinion/ring gears, remove the entire pinion carrier from the differential first. You can chuck the pinion carrier in a vise and use an impact wrench to remove the pinion nut. If you don't have an impact wrench then you will have to loosen the nut while the carrier is still attached to the differential. Put the emergency brake on and block the wheels. Use a breaker bar with a pipe slipped over the handle.
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks John.
      That was just the kind of info I was thinking. It is just what it looks like it is. It looked simple enough, but once in a while there is some wierd thing on this truck and if you do not know the trick it becomes a pain. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Mark the splines of the yoke and the pinion with a center punch, and assemble in the same position. also put a little non hardening sealer on the splines during reassembly. This reduces possibility of seepage thru the splines.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X