X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A significant Studebaker that you may not know even existed

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Looks kinda like a Dutch Darrin creation.....perhaps as a styling study as a precurser to the Kaiser Darrin? Looks like a 50 Commander front bumper, so I'll guess 50?
    The green house looks like Loewys creation.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Vince Gardner. 1950. He didn't like the lines of the stock Stude.

Comment

The Vince Gardner Special. It recently made its debut at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. I think Gardner was a designer under Loewy and he bought the car new, and customized it right after purchasing it. I've heard that it was his proposal for a factory production roadster, but I'm not sure.

Comment

The photos supplied by Fran Roxas who restored the car (he has a restoration facility in Bridgeview, Illinois which is about 30 minutes north of me)

Alan was first but Matthew a little more complete so you must share in the extravagant awards. Half a gold star and move to the middle of the class. I am thinking Matthew may have a future in this hobby unless he gets mixed up with some woman!

The rear view I think is more attractive than the front. Additional information here: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?...er-profile.jpg
          Richard Quinn

Comment

I guess this is the same car, according to the sign. I can read it in the original print.
            I can't remember what year they were taken.
            I like the car a lot better now.
            John V.

Attached Files

Comment

There may not be a better looking Champion engine compartment anywhere. Roxas excels in all phases of restorations but engines seem to be a specialty.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Now I've got to find a finned head and a dual carb setup for a 245 Big Six.

Comment

I guess this is the same car, according to the sign. I can read it in the original print. I can't remember what year they were taken. I like the car a lot better now. John V.

Yes, John that is the same car. For many years it belonged to Curt Thews who was a former Studebaker employee and volunteer at the Studebaker National Museum. He was the owner when you took your photos. Gardner did some alterations on the car during his ownership and there were additional changes made by subsequent owners. It has been restored to its original configuration.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

What is the pump for ? The car shows a hard cover.
                    Klif
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                      Klif
                      Both the hood and deck lid operate hydraulically. Incidentally the deck lid is hinged at the rear. The storage area was designed to accommodate the plexiglass top.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

I can't say that I care for the front end styling (looks like it got punched in the nose and has to wear a face guard!). The back of the car looks pretty nice, if not a bit overwhelmed by the '50 bumper. But I'll allow that we all have our ideas of beautiful design.

That said, the quality of the restoration looks to be fantastic. Congratulations on preserving a piece of Studebaker history!

And I hadn't noticed, at first, that the headlight doors are stock, just turned 180 degrees. I initially mistook them for '52 units!
                        Last edited by Peanut; 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
                        ~Matt Connor
                        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Attention to detail! Note the 1941 Champion steering wheel and the four gauge instrument cluster.
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Hi

Vince Gardner demonstrated what good design 'bones' were and are available in the '47-'52 bodies to anyone who wants to build a sporty customized roadster. Fortunately, there is still a long supply of donor cars that could become as attractive as his effort. While it's a major project only for the very skillfull, a worthwhile one to consider.

Gardner's work history prior to Loewy and Studebaker was in the Auburn/Cord design department, so he had a fine background in lithe, slinky, sporty cars.

Steve

Comment

Looks like a 12v electric power steering setup...
                              Jeff
                              PS: I thought I saw Mickey Prankas in the background of Richard Quinn's Photobucket pic...

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                              Klif
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X