Chrome Blues/ Shocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Blues/ Shocked

Well today was the day that I was not looking forward to. I took my chrome and pot metal to the rechromers. Here is the recap

1 front bumper. straighten and chrome $375.00
    1 rear bumper Chrome $325.00
    1 front hood bar Chrome $300.00
    1 front bumber bar Chrome $200.00
    4 lugage rack post Pot metal (one cracked) $400.00
    2 side moldings Pot Metal(pitted and broken) $200.00
    4 mis small pieces (door s's and tail gate ends) $200.00
    --------
    $2,000.00
    Forgot the bumper gaurds est $100.00/pc 200.00
    Well is anyone shocked???? I figured $1,500.00 before I got there. He claimed the pot metal is a real challange. I have seen his work and it is good and he does stand behind it. It just brings to light all these nice cars we look at everyday are extremely expensive to build. Well that's enough I need to go crush a lot of cans.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Actually seems reasonable to me...IF the pot metal actually comes out nice.

Virtually all chrome shops can do bumpers and other steel parts...very few can do pot metal. I would carefully inspect his pot metal work and have him give you some kind of guarantee. A LOT of pot metal has been ruined by chrome shops. To do it right, they must silver solder the pits, then plate with copper until the piece is smooth, then start the rest of the plating process. Most shops will grind out the pits and the piece is no longer recognizable.

It's no fun to try to find replacement pot metal after a shop has made yours useless.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Actually seems reasonable to me...IF the pot metal actually comes out nice.

Virtually all chrome shops can do bumpers and other steel parts...very few can do pot metal. I would carefully inspect his pot metal work and have him give you some kind of guarantee. A LOT of pot metal has been ruined by chrome shops. To do it right, they must silver solder the pits, then plate with copper until the piece is smooth, then start the rest of the plating process. Most shops will grind out the pits and the piece is no longer recognizable.

It's no fun to try to find replacement pot metal after a shop has made yours useless.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Those bumper prices are quite good. I hope you get good quality for that price.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Those bumper prices are quite good. I hope you get good quality for that price.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Those prices are not high. Before you have him do the work, check him out. Look at his work, talk to others who have had work done there. There are a few shops which do good work, and many, many that do lousy work. Caveat emptor!

Comment

Those prices are not high. Before you have him do the work, check him out. Look at his work, talk to others who have had work done there. There are a few shops which do good work, and many, many that do lousy work. Caveat emptor!

Comment

Somehow a few of you missed this:

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

I have seen his work and it is good and he does stand behind it.
                Dick's right about the pot metal, though; hopefully he'll know the correct procedure. I'd think he'd have some examples of his work on hand that he can show you, as any experienced chrome shop should know how tricky this is, and how nervous a customer might be.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Somehow a few of you missed this:

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

I have seen his work and it is good and he does stand behind it.
                  Dick's right about the pot metal, though; hopefully he'll know the correct procedure. I'd think he'd have some examples of his work on hand that he can show you, as any experienced chrome shop should know how tricky this is, and how nervous a customer might be.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I have used this shop for years on bumpers,ss and pot metal. He is real good. I know he is giving me a good price break as I have continue to bring him a lot of work from my old shop via the new owner. He and I walked around his shop and there is a lot that goes into chroming. He says in my price after all expenses he'll make about $300.00. I tend to think he is probally correct. The materials and labor hours sre high. I will keep you posted.

Comment

I have used this shop for years on bumpers,ss and pot metal. He is real good. I know he is giving me a good price break as I have continue to bring him a lot of work from my old shop via the new owner. He and I walked around his shop and there is a lot that goes into chroming. He says in my price after all expenses he'll make about $300.00. I tend to think he is probally correct. The materials and labor hours sre high. I will keep you posted.

Comment

One last thing. I took everything out of my truck and layed it on the shop floor. His first words were ah a Studebaker. The man can't be all bad. He knows what he is looking at.

Comment

One last thing. I took everything out of my truck and layed it on the shop floor. His first words were ah a Studebaker. The man can't be all bad. He knows what he is looking at.

Comment

I recently had a front bumper straightened and chromed, a rear bumper - the same and 3 guards as well - all done for $380 or so. And they look NICE!

Pot metal, I'll pay the price to use guys with a PROVEN track record and lots of referrals you can call and talk to.

If they grind it to clear the pits, It'll BE the "pits" when you get your shiny, ruined parts back![V]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I recently had a front bumper straightened and chromed, a rear bumper - the same and 3 guards as well - all done for $380 or so. And they look NICE!

Pot metal, I'll pay the price to use guys with a PROVEN track record and lots of referrals you can call and talk to.

If they grind it to clear the pits, It'll BE the "pits" when you get your shiny, ruined parts back![V]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X