Poor poor Avanti!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor poor Avanti!!!

Most of the car is ok but WHY would you do that to the front end of that car??

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

repair after accident damage? Looks Aston-ish, could've done worse, but it doesn't work for me.

Comment

Here's a link to the full listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...m=330711878917

I wouldn't have done that, but it is nice workmanship.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

IMO the front isn't bad, but it no longer works with the rear. Like two separate cars grafted together, which I guess it is.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I don't usually care for restyling a nice looking car, but this one is well done and not bad. Overall it's well done . Besides it's just an Avanti II!
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

To each his own, I like it and like Studebaker states dare to be different, wonder how much air it takes in up front?
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I kinda like it too. I think I would replace that Lincoln emblem in the grill with something Studebaker though. Seems to be very well done.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should...but that's in the eye of the beholder. I'm guessing that will be a tough sell unless the seller is willing to take a huge loss. Not many like such radical modifications to a beautiful design that doesn't need the "improving".
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I wonder if it was done to improve cooling or as an attempt to improve the design?

Someone added a Porsche 356 rear deck grille to an Avanti to imporve cooling...though I can think of better ways to do that without changing the design.
                  Last edited by JBOYLE; 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

This car was at the Mecum auction in Kissimie. If I bought it I would put the original Avanti front end back on it and drive it.

Comment

We've seen much, much worse. At least this one was professionally done. Overall, I could live with it.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

The quality of the workmanship appears to be good, but it loses its uniqueness with a rather generic looking body color grille and rounded front.

Craig

Comment

I don't think that it looks bad. I am tempted to bid on it, except for one thing. It is on a rebuild title. I assume that it got the new nose when it was rebuilt from an insurance total loss.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

COOL! Avanti's original front doesn't make me happy & even if I'd done it different this aint to bad. Loox a bit lie a 60's Lancia Fulvia or some other Italian car. Keeps the balance with Bertone (or?) Zagato-styled rear.

Comment

His car, his money, his choice. We talk about this all the time so there's not much to add. We'll see how he does trying to sell it. Probably won't get much interest from Studebaker/Avanti people but someone is bound to like it. It does look well done. The one customizing thing that makes me cringe is when people change the wheel openings. That was one of the items that Loewy was very specific about. Rounded and flared just doesn't look as good IMHO.
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X