58 Hawk V8 auto swap to V8 4 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 58 Hawk V8 auto swap to V8 4 speed

How hard is it to swap a 61 Hawk v8 auto to a 61 Hawk 4 speed?? Is there any tricks to it? What should I pull and install ? How hard is it to pull and install the clutch crossover shaft ,throttle linkage? any suggestions ? Can I use the auto rear or pull and change the stick rearend to keep the same stick rear end ratio... Any and all thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.. My new old Hawk windsheild is waiting to get installed after I find an old school glass guy.. thanks..

To: hawk58man,----The trick would be to find all the correct parts You need to do this swap....and that gets harder every day.

Comment

The good news is the rear axle ratio doesn't need to be changed. TwinTraction becomes more of a necessity with a 4-speed, as do traction bars.

The rest is a bolt-in, once you locate all the parts. While it is possible to get 'er done one piece at a time, it is usually more cost effective to buy a complete conversion.

Be aware the original '61 Hawk used a Chevy pattern bellhousing and T10 with a 2.20 first gear. Any '62-64 Studebaker/Ford pattern bellhousing and T10 will work just as well and you'll have the 2.54 first gear, which is usually better for all-around use.

Unless you are doing a period-correct conversion, strongly recommend you consider a 5-speed. Much better all-around driver, better fuel economy and costs about the same and about the same amount of work.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Isn't that the truth SN-60..I will have a chance to by a whole Hawk, I'M hopeing it will have the stuff that I'll need...

Comment

Thanks for the info Jack, at least there are some options ..

Comment

hawk58 man. My 1962 Gran Turismo has everything Your asking about on this Forum. Check Your email for details and pics.
            ~effiedude
            Patrick Sammon

Comment

Regarding bolt pattern...'61 and '62 have the wide eared "Chevrolet" bolt pattern. '63 and '64 4-speeds used the "Ford" bolt pattern, which happily was the same as the Studebaker T-86 three speed, which means a very common bellhousing in the Studebaker world.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                Regarding bolt pattern...'61 and '62 have the wide eared "Chevrolet" bolt pattern. '63 and '64 4-speeds used the "Ford" bolt pattern, which happily was the same as the Studebaker T-86 three speed, which means a very common bellhousing in the Studebaker world.
                Don't I recall the change in tranny bolt patterns being mid-'62? Seems like I've seen several '62 GTs with the Ford-pattern T10 trannies.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Chassis Catalog: 1552737 Housing w/Bushing, clutch - C-K-J8-L8-Y8 (w/4 spd. trans.) 61V, 62V
                  1539373 Housing w/Bushing, clutch - exc. Y1 63V, 64V
                  Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                    Regarding bolt pattern ... ''63 and '64 4-speeds used the "Ford" bolt pattern, which happily was the same as the Studebaker T-86 three speed, which means a very common bellhousing in the Studebaker world.
                    Is the T-85 bolt pattern the same as the T-86 and the '63 and 64 4-speed bolt patterns?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
                      Is the T-85 bolt pattern the same as the T-86 and the '63 and 64 4-speed bolt patterns?

Thanks
                      All I've seen were the same.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

All the 1961 & 62 4-speeds have the Chevy bolt pattern. First gear was changed from a 2.20 to a 2.54 in early 1962.

Joe
                        sigpic

1962 Daytona
                        1964 Cruiser
                        And a few others

Comment

I have a T-85 from a '56 Golden Hawk (Packard engine). Will this fit where my present T-86 is ('56 Sky Hawk)?
                          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                          X