PDA

View Full Version : Transport 1964 Daytona convert from Gold Beach, Oregon to Milaca, Minnesota-The Daytona has landed!

Milaca
03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
I bought a driveable Daytona convert from a SDC member and need it shipped from the west coast of Oregon to the center of Minnesota.
The convertible top is ragged and might shred apart unless it is covered with a heavy tarp or hauled in an enclosed trailer. I contacted Peg Trucking and she quoted me $1800-2000 for enclosed transport. Peg informed me that the location is at least 350 miles from any main shipping lane which increased the cost. Furthermore, I learned today that I need to remove this car within the next few weeks due to the loss of storage, and I wouldnt have time to haul it myself until summer or later.
I will likely need to pay the $2000 but would certainly like to transport it for less. Anybody have any ideas or recommendations for transporting this car for less money?

Thank you much,
Brent

candbstudebakers
03-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Brent I know the car well as I was one of the past owners, I sold it to this owner and delivered it to him at that time, it had rust out in the fenders but not sure of the frame, it did run nice but it was originally from New York I was told when I got it, I might be able to go get it but it is a full days drive from me here in the bay area, also might even think about a quick trip east, we can talk if you want to....Bob

(S)
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Hows the weather along the way? We have snow levels down to 3000 feet but our main highways are clear. From Oregon, there would be less. This time of year can be a sweet drive to warmer temps, and can also be white knuckle h;llish driving.

I have done the trip to South Bend, a few times, about 2600 miles, 3-4 day trip.

I'd suggest having it driven out that way. Check the weather and drive it or have someone already out here drive it. wink.

Milaca
03-31-2012, 12:49 PM
I wasnt aware of it being from New York, Bob, now I am a bit concerned. As for driving it, it needs brake repair otherwise I would gladly hire Mike to drive it.
I contact you later Bob, I have to meet someone about a Ford pickup with a plow up near Duluth soon. Take care, Brent

Bob Andrews
03-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Brent- I've bought a few convertibles with bad tops in the past. I have the seller wrap the top with a CANVAS tarp, tied inside, and send it open transport. Just be ready to pull the seats and carpet as soon as it arrives. There won't be that much water inside if you do that.

Don't bother with tapes, or the plastic tarps. Wrap the ends in, go around with nylon rope, close the doors, and go. It's worked great for me.

Scott
03-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I live about 2 hours from Gold Beach, but I personally don't have any kind of transport. Try Orestudeguy. He knows a lot of people out here. I don't know what Peg trucking is talking about. Gold Beach is an hour and a half to I-5 (well, maybe two hours).

snowy_buffalo
03-31-2012, 02:23 PM
I live about 2 hours from Gold Beach, but I personally don't have any kind of transport. Try Orestudeguy. He knows a lot of people out here. I don't know what Peg trucking is talking about. Gold Beach is an hour and a half to I-5 (well, maybe two hours).

Scott,
Peg is probably talking about a main east/west shipping lane since Milaca is trying to ship from Oregon to Minnesota. I-80 or I-90 would be the main routes for shipping from Oregon going east. I-5 runs north/south so it doesn't come into play for this transport, so maybe she does know what she's talking about?

63r2
03-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Congratulations on the new purchase Brent.
I'm sure it will work out well.
pb

aarrggh
03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
I think " BS " means Best Suggestion . ?

stupak
03-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Brent: I just had a car shipped from Eastern PA to Phoenix AZ, enclosed. We initially contacted PEG Trucking but was contacted by one of their 'dealers', Door to Door Transport. I have to tell you, this was perhaps the nicest transaction I have had in a long time. Tony was my contact at their office. He handled every detail of the shipment from start to delivery. I AM ONE HAPPY DUDE! I am sure he would be glad to give you a no obligation quote. His tele number is 954-320-7105. I think they are based in Texas but their drivers are all over the place. You can go into Door to Door Transport and look at their feedback. I was impressed. stupak

candbstudebakers
04-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Here is the car when I owned it in 2004 at a small all car car show, 2 guesses on who the kid is with me ? he now stands about 6'.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM004313.jpg

The car behind it was the bell of the ball, my brand new 2005 Dodge Hemi Magnum, show was June 2004 and this was out as a 2005 first one sold in this area, most people at the show had never even seen one at that time , people even wanted to sit in it, best advertising for Dodge then.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM004314.jpg

wittsend
04-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I would just be cautious about ANY transport company. I'm not saying they are all bad, but when I was looking into transporting a car I opted to fly to the location and rent a truck and trailer based on the horror stories I read.

First, most car transports are simply "brokers." They own no trucks and likely work out of their home. They just contract with a shipper. They will offer a price, but it is based on a shipper being willing to move the item - at that price. Typically you are obligated by contract for 30 day. So, your car can sit, and sit, and sit if no one is willing to move it at the price the broker is offering.

They will charge extra for "inaccessible areas," which the don't confirm until they are there. They charge something like $150 extra if the car doesn't start - per event. This can really add up because a car may be on/off a number of different trucks until it reaches your destination. This is because some companies (or brokers) contract multiple shippers to take your car to various locations to their logistical advantage. I've also heard of cars getting half the distance and then sitting in a storage yard because no shipper will take the rest of the journey. Then the storage yard charges you because it's your car sitting there. I've heard of fees going so high it wasn't worth the cost to get the car released.

Now, I have never personally experienced this, but in my search for a shipper there were enough horror stories that I did opt to get the car myself. The pain was lessened because the seller worked for Southwest and gave me a free "Buddy Pass" for the flight. Most purchases typically don't have a pleasant surprise though.

So, if you do ship choose a reputable shipper who will guarantee the price. Otherwise, in the end it may be better (and cheaper) to just store the car in Oregon for a few months and then go get it yourself.

Tom (Almost been there, almost done that)

candbstudebakers
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I will be picking up Brent's new ride some time this month, small world Brent lives in Minnesota and I am from Minnesota but live in California and I owned this same car until 04 when I sold it to Don the fellow Brent bought it from, some how we will get it back to Brent so he can enjoy driving it around in the winter and in the snow Ha, Ha, I think the heater worked.....good show Brent 64 Converts are the best looking, my opinion any ways.

Scott
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm from Minnesota and sold Milaca my GT Hawk before I moved to Medford, OR in 2010. Now he's looking at a car out here! Yep, small world.

Milaca
04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Thank you to forum members Bob Peterson (candbstudebakers) and Mike Gahlbeck (S) for the offers to haul my car, much appreciated. In the end, I decided to have Bob Peterson haul the car to his home and from there....I'll figure that out later. :) I can hire Peg Trucking to bring it home for me from there or maybe I can convince Bob that he should bring a load of parts to the May swap meet in South Bend and drop the car off along the way somewhere. ;) This may be crazy wishful thinking, but maybe I could fly-in and drive the car home? I'll keep you posted.

Milaca
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm from Minnesota and sold Milaca my GT Hawk before I moved to Medford, OR in 2010. Now he's looking at a car out here! Yep, small world.

Hey Scott, I fired up the black Hawk last Sunday for the first time this season and it runs great. I need to get to work on the car as I may haul it to South Bend this summer to use as my commuter around town and try selling it at the meet. That reminds me, I need to register for the meet....

Milaca
04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I suppose I may as well share a more recent photo of it, as most here seem to like photos. :)
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/ssbn623g/S4200002.jpg

Skinnys Garage
04-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice looking car Brent.:cool: Have you gained any room in the storage shed, or are you going to start stacking them?:rolleyes:;)

candbstudebakers
04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
He can just go out and cut down some nice white birch trees and make a lean too.

edpjr
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
I remember being there back in 1974 when the late HT Woody from Hickory, NC hauled in a gold rusted out '64 R1 Convertible 4 speed from Siler City, NC. It was missing the trans. He parked it on the bank beside the road at his place and never moved it again. I think there were only a dozen of those puppies ever made. That one died a horrible death...

Bamajak
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I had the R1 engine but just transfered it to Starliner62 a few weeks ago.............

Milaca
04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Nice looking car Brent.:cool: Have you gained any room in the storage shed, or are you going to start stacking them?:rolleyes:;)

I will cover the floor with straw and tip the cars onto their sides. I figure I will have room for 12 more Studebakers (or 24 more Crosleys) when I am done. Wanna give me a hand? ;)

Milaca
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
He can just go out and cut down some nice white birch trees and make a lean too.

How about I leave the car in your garage and then I will come visit the car every winter? ;)
Actually though, I need to get the car ready for when Hollywood calls. The upcoming season of the television show 'Pan-Am' will be entering the year 1964 and that cute French stewardess will need a new ride! ;)

DieselJim
04-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Here is a suggestion. Have the car transported to South Bend, dropped at my place. I will check the brakes. Tell you what they need. You get the parts. In May, hop in the silver tube to SB. Fix the brakes and take in the May meet. Drive the car home. Jim

packardHawk58
04-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I remember being there back in 1974 when the late HT Woody from Hickory, NC hauled in a gold rusted out '64 R1 Convertible 4 speed from Siler City, NC. It was missing the trans. He parked it on the bank beside the road at his place and never moved it again. I think there were only a dozen of those puppies ever made. That one died a horrible death...

Hey Ed, I have the remains of that car here and I am in the midst of rebuilding it, a very rare car, only six made with R1 full package, 4 spd. It will rise from the ashes one day. Remember i bought the 64 R tacko from you.
Regards Brian

Bamajak
04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey Ed, I have the remains of that car here and I am in the midst of rebuilding it, a very rare car, only six made with R1 full package, 4 spd. It will rise from the ashes one day. Remember i bought the 64 R tacko from you.
Regards Brian

We can fix you up with the engine block...............

Milaca
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Here is a suggestion. Have the car transported to South Bend, dropped at my place. I will check the brakes. Tell you what they need. You get the parts. In May, hop in the silver tube to SB. Fix the brakes and take in the May meet. Drive the car home. Jim

Hi Jim,
thanks for the offer but I think I've got it covered. I hope to see you in July at the big show. :)

packardHawk58
04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
We can fix you up with the engine block...............

Hey Jack are you saying you have the original block to suit my car? I can organize to have it picked it up no problem, PM me with a price,
Thanks Brian

Milaca
04-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Regards Brian

Brian,
is that red Lark a recent aquisition or did you repaint the yellow Lark? I don't recall ever seeing it before. As for the restoration of the car that Ed speaks of, are you starting with a tachometer and building a car around it?? ;)

packardHawk58
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Brian,
is that red Lark a recent aquisition or did you repaint the yellow Lark? I don't recall ever seeing it before. As for the restoration of the car that Ed speaks of, are you starting with a tachometer and building a car around it?? ;)

Brent, you are dead right about building it around the tacko, but I do have all the hard to get parts to start, if I can get the original block that would be good even though I bought the R1 off Pat in L.A. You could say i am building it around the firewall. Did you get my PM the other day i actually sent you some photos of the project, but you didin't reply so I thought maybe you didin't get the PM. I think you have seen the red Lark before you just can't remember!

Pm your direct email address
Rgs Brian

Milaca
04-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Brian, I received a message that my Inbox was full, so I didnt get your message. I will send you my direct E-mail address. As for the red Lark, it looks like Barnlark's car....no, it can't be!

packardHawk58
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Brian, I received a message that my Inbox was full, so I didnt get your message. I will send you my direct E-mail address. As for the red Lark, it looks like Barnlark's car....no, it can't be!

Funny about that!

starliner62
04-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I will get the number off of the block as soon as I get to the shop. With me trying to get my wife and kids to her Mother's house in Louisville, I probably won't get to the shop until Monday morning.

Hey Jack are you saying you have the original block to suit my car? I can organize to have it picked it up no problem, PM me with a price,
Thanks Brian

packardHawk58
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I will get the number off of the block as soon as I get to the shop. With me trying to get my wife and kids to her Mother's house in Louisville, I probably won't get to the shop until Monday morning.

No problem, no rush, let me know how you go,
Thanks , I appreciate it,
Brian

Milaca
04-07-2012, 07:47 PM
This car was sold to me with extra parts. I will just assume that the extra parts came from the same North Carolina '64 Daytona R1 convertible that Ed spoke of. ;)

starliner62
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
The number on the block is JTK 314

edpjr
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I know. I asked about buying it from you once.

I had the R1 engine but just transfered it to Starliner62 a few weeks ago.............

edpjr
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
It would be nice to reunite that extremely rare car and the original R1 engine. Even if you have to rebuild the car around the tach. Who would've figured that R1 convert and it's replacement Tach were in such close proximity (within 10 miles of each other at one time). The R1 Vert sat there rusting in Hickory while the Daytona 4-dr with the Tach was rusting away in Sawmills, NC... small world.

packardHawk58
04-12-2012, 05:33 AM
It would be nice to reunite that extremely rare car and the original R1 engine. Even if you have to rebuild the car around the tach. Who would've figured that R1 convert and it's replacement Tach were in such close proximity (within 10 miles of each other at one time). The R1 Vert sat there rusting in Hickory while the Daytona 4-dr with the Tach was rusting away in Sawmills, NC... small world.

How good is it to be able to locate an engine half way around the world. Says a lot for this Forum! That is a perfect match for 64V-12439. Starliner 62 would you like to Pm me with your cell number and I will give you a call., thanks.
While we are on a roll does anybody know where 64V-9077 , Golden Sand R2, 4 spd Convertible is?
Rgs Brian

gohdes
04-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Brent, you finally sprung for a convert! Did you win the Lottery??
My top had several tears (including the entire back seam) when it came from CA on an open transport, the wonders duct tape will do, held fairly well if you use enough. If the Mythbusters can make a boat out of it, surely it can make a temporary convertible top and keep some rain out. http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-duct-tape-boat.html
Sounds like you have a plan already however.

Anyway, my hopes are for my convert engine to be re-built (again!) in the next few weeks at a shop in Annandale, and I hope to have it on the road come Memorial Day. We'll see, I'm not going to hold my breath - if I would have at any point since I bought it, I would have been long dead by now. Hopefully I will see you at the Memorial Day Stude show.

Milaca
04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Brent, you finally sprung for a convert! Did you win the Lottery??
My top had several tears (including the entire back seam) when it came from CA on an open transport, the wonders duct tape will do, held fairly well if you use enough. If the Mythbusters can make a boat out of it, surely it can make a temporary convertible top and keep some rain out. http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-duct-tape-boat.html
Sounds like you have a plan already however.

Anyway, my hopes are for my convert engine to be re-built (again!) in the next few weeks at a shop in Annandale, and I hope to have it on the road come Memorial Day. We'll see, I'm not going to hold my breath - if I would have at any point since I bought it, I would have been long dead by now. Hopefully I will see you at the Memorial Day Stude show.

Its good to see you on the forum again, I guess this means that you have come out of your Studepression? I will be interested to hear of your experience from the upcoming rebuild as I have yet to rebuild my '63 Hawk's engine and may look to hire someone to do it. I didnt win the lottery, if I had I would have spent the money on a Russian mail-order bride. ;)
I wont be at the Memorial day show because of a family function but I intend to be at the Get-the cars-out event in Annandale next month. If nothing else, maybe I'll see you in South Bend this summer? I registered for it last week so now I HAVE to go! Maybe we can convoy together?

starliner62
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
A deal has been struck for the R-1 engine. It will be transported to South Bend in July.
Brian an I completed the deal yeaterday by phone. (I like the way he talks!!)

How good is it to be able to locate an engine half way around the world. Says a lot for this Forum! That is a perfect match for 64V-12439. Starliner 62 would you like to Pm me with your cell number and I will give you a call., thanks.
While we are on a roll does anybody know where 64V-9077 , Golden Sand R2, 4 spd Convertible is?
Rgs Brian

gohdes
04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello Brent,
yes, kinda coming out of the "studepression". I liked that one! I don't want to but I have to if I am ever going to get the damn thing running again. It's hopefully being taken apart right now as we speak. Hopefully I will know more in the coming days this week on how much I have to rebuild. I hope the pistons and cylinder walls are good. hopefully just turn the cam, new rings, and bearings.

yes, I plan on going to South Bend, probably leaving on Sunday morning. Hopefully I will also have a couple other Stude's in my group, too. Would be fun to be in a big group. Not so fun through Chicago, however. We learned last time, that we have to have a meeting point on the other side because it's impossible to stay together.
Don't know if it'll be ready for the get the cars out event.
I have been lurking for a couple weeks here to get in the mood again.
My signature pic was taken last saturday, engine out. I'm going to paint the engine bay.

Will talk to you soon.

candbstudebakers
04-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Brent, the 64 is back in California as of last night, I picked it up on Wed. late afternoon and it was raining cats and dog, the car was in don's lower garage so it was nice and dry, I had to back my rig down his side driveway and around a corner just to get to it, had it not been raining we would have just driven it up to the road and covered it there and put it on the trailer but with it raining I need to cover it in the garage, after about an hour it was on the trailer and heading south to Cresent City where my wife and sister in law were waiting along with my 2 little traveling dogs, ( both dogs have been to the PSMCR) Any way the car is at the shop and will take it off the trailer today or tomorrow, I did not get a chance to take any pictures because of all the rain but will today, Brian the car doesn't look much different except for the white front fenders than when I took it up there in 04 you got a hell of a deal, Don took good care of it all this time, we can talk later about it ...Bob

Milaca
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Happy to hear you made it back okay. Sorry you had to deal with heavy rain but I sure appreciate you doing what you did. I may be calling you tonight around 7pm your time (unless another time works better?).

Thank you much, talk to you later.
Brent

candbstudebakers
04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Unloaded the 64 today and drove it around the parking lot before putting it in the shop, it has disk brakes and one is making some noise so will put it on the lift on Monday and have a look see, it started right up with one turn of the key and ran nice, here is a picture of it on the trailer still covered from the rain we had up north.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM004394.jpg

Milaca
04-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Looks like the rain washed the red paint off of the front fenders. ;)

Milaca
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
As of 5:45 tonight, my Daytona is home. It was unloaded at my parents house at 5 pm and soon after I drove it to my home one mile away. I need to do some servicing to the transmission, but otherwise it runs and drives great! Thank you to the former owner Mr. Weissert and a big thanks to Bob Peterson for all that you did. Thank you Peg Trucking for your service as the car arrived in the same condition as it was on the West coast. Now I need to get to work!

Skinnys Garage
06-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Careful where you park it, the Hawks might get jealous.;)

Will it be ready for a DQ run next time we stop over?:!:

Milaca
06-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Careful where you park it, the Hawks might get jealous.;)

Will it be ready for a DQ run next time we stop over?:!:

That depends on your definition of "ready". ;)
It may not be show ready, but it will be road ready. You having mentioned Dairy Queen has me anxious to drive it top-down through the DQ drive-thru. :)

gohdes
06-11-2012, 10:47 PM
very cool Brent!

Warren Webb
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I agree with everyone else in that the 64 was the best looking convertible made. Since I have a 60 & a 62 I guess the next one HAS to be a 64!

JimC
06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Beautiful car. I even sorta like the gray front fenders :D

Hey, gohdes, which shop did you go to in Annandale? My in-laws are in the Maple Lake area, (Father in law works at Lundeen Ford In Annandale) and I spent a few years living there, as well as St. Cloud, before returning to the promised land. It would be nice to know a good shop if I ever find myself back in that neighborhood (or if I send my family up there on a car quest!)

06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree with everyone else in that the 64 was the best looking convertible made. Since I have a 60 & a 62 I guess the next one HAS to be a 64!
Add me to the list of those who agree. I wish I hadn't sold this one.

Sam Ensley
06-12-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree with all of those above who think the '64 Daytona is the best-looking convertible. I love ours. I am getting teady to paint ut. The original color was cream, but it has been painted bordeaux red. I want to paint it tulip cream. I know that color wasn't available on Studebakers in 1964, but that's the color I want. I am also excited about the '64 plain-jane, 2 dr. that I bought from the Kirby collection. The factory color of it is bordeaux red, and I plan to leave it that way. It's going to take a lot of work, but it will be worth it.

Jessie J.
06-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I agree with all of those above who think the '64 Daytona is the best-looking convertible.
And the '64 Daytona HT is not far behind. The entire '64 Studebaker Lark-type line has been my all-time favorite make, year, and model since the day it was introduced.
Have owned 8 of them over the years. Liked those Daytona's better than my '66 Austin Healy 3000 Mk III, '67 Cougar 390 4-gear GT, '68 AMX, '69 Camaro SS 396, '70 Cougar Eliminator 428 4 speed, or '71 383 Magnum Satellite....and a dozen or more transportation also rans.
If I had my choice of any vehicle, it would be a '64 Daytona. Outside of commercial vans used in my business, all six of my present automobiles and pickups are Studebakers, ...sadly though, some are now only fit for parts.

gohdes
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Hey, gohdes, which shop did you go to in Annandale? My in-laws are in the Maple Lake area, (Father in law works at Lundeen Ford In Annandale) and I spent a few years living there, as well as St. Cloud, before returning to the promised land. It would be nice to know a good shop if I ever find myself back in that neighborhood (or if I send my family up there on a car quest!)

Took it to Scott Zeidler. He runs a transmission and engine business out of his garage, says he does work for a couple area car repair shops. 135 Knollwood St. West, Annandale, MN 55302 320-274-3139 . Just getting the rebuilt engine back into the car, so don't know final results yet, but he seemed to be very knowledgeable and decent priced compared to the cities. Be prepared to spend some time "chatting" along the way, very talkative guy with many stories.

RadioRoy
06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Do you guys go to French Lake auto dismantling, just outside of Annandale?

I grew up in Minneapolis, bought my first Studebaker in Ivanhoe, but left for California in 1973. Didn't "discover" French Lake until the 90's. What a great junk yard.

There is also the one near Spooner, Wisconsin. That one is a real kick, too.

Milaca
06-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Do you guys go to French Lake auto dismantling, just outside of Annandale?

I grew up in Minneapolis, bought my first Studebaker in Ivanhoe, but left for California in 1973. Didn't "discover" French Lake until the 90's. What a great junk yard.

There is also the one near Spooner, Wisconsin. That one is a real kick, too.

I've heard of French Lake auto salvage but have never been to it and I was not aware of a yard near Spooner WI, which I just attended a car show at on Sunday. Do they both have lots of old cars and trucks?

speycaster
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
For sure do not use budget auto shipping in florida

Milaca
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM

FYI, Peg charged me $1100 for open transport from Hayward California (near San Francisco) to Milaca Minnesota (center of most road maps of the state) and the car arrived in great condition. I didnt get pricing from any other transport but I believe it was a reasonable price. Bob Peterson tied down/secured some large parts (rear fender & front grill) inside the car and taped some large holes shut in the convertible top for me and it all traveled very well.

Kurt
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Looking good Brent. I too like those 64-66 Studes. Especially the hardtops and convertibles.

bob40
06-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Spend a fair amount of time at French Lake and it should be a place to visit for any old car buff.The yard near Spooner has been a once a year visit for 15 years.
Brent....you need to get out more;)

candbstudebakers
06-13-2012, 12:46 AM
FYI, Peg charged me $1100 for open transport from Hayward California (near San Francisco) to Milaca Minnesota (center of most road maps of the state) and the car arrived in great condition. I didnt get pricing from any other transport but I believe it was a reasonable price. Bob Peterson tied down/secured some large parts (rear fender & front grill) inside the car and taped some large holes shut in the convertible top for me and it all traveled very well.

Brent I planned on asking how it travled but you answered it all ready, glad it had no problems, you found the other set of keys in the ash tray ok? the trunk key was on that ring.

avantilover
06-13-2012, 03:29 AM

So you keep saying. Question is why did you use them when Peg has been mentioned multiple times and I'm sure I would use her if I had to move a car I had purchased.

showbizkid
06-13-2012, 05:09 AM
Hey, everyone's allowed to make a mistake now and then! :) The key is learning from them, yeah?

oltrknut
06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Ed is just trying to protect anybody he can now that he has learned a hard lesson.

swvalcon
06-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi brent glad to see that you got your car home. If you need your fenders painted pm me. Still tring to get the money together for the hawk. Hope to have some for you soon. I've got most of the people lined up to do the sub let jobs needed on the frame off job for this winter.The 64s daytonas are nice looking cars. Steve

58PackardWagon
06-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I have been to both salvage yards and Smokey Hill (another one in MN). Smokey Hill was the most organized, French Lake offered the most unique cars. Smokey Hill was very fair on prices, French lake was expensive. One would of thought that each part came off of a 32 Packard conv.....but still worth a visit and look around. French Lake had a very large selection of Studes. Good luck with your car, I wish it was mine.

avantilover
06-15-2012, 02:43 AM
No criticism of Ed, I was curious why he chose another shipper when Peg came highly recommended. I'm sure no-one will use the other company, all the best with the car Ed.