PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker photo and mention in May Hemming Muscle Machines...

Gunslinger
03-29-2012, 01:20 PM
In the May issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines which just arrived, there's a story on the Indy 500 Pace Cars. The first photo is of a 1952 Studebaker Commander...but the caption gives incomplete and even incorrect information. It says the Commander was powered by the "new 232-cu.in, 120hp V-8 that topped the engine lineup virtually to the company's end in 1966."

Gee...I didn't know the 232 was the company's top engine right through 1966! An uninformed reader might never know that Studebaker had a 224, 259, 289 and the 299 and 304.5 engines, plus the fact that 1965 and 1966 they no longer used Studebaker made engines. I realize that "virtually" intends to mean the same basic block for all succeeding engines that were Stude made, but non-Stude knowledgeable readers would not know that.

There was also no mention of the 1962 Lark Pace Car and the Avanti as the honorary pace car that year.

I realize any Studebaker mention in such an article is a good thing, but they have to realize not everyone is well versed in all aspects of the auto world and the independents. Sometimes the authors and fact checkers need to spell it out for the lesser informed...don't simply assume they know. And I'm assuming the author knew the accurate information when he wrote that...and I know what assuming can get me.

Marie Mac
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Agree...don't understand a National publication not doing the homework (although, I would never have known without your pointing it out)...

Gunslinger
03-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Agree...don't understand a National publication not doing the homework (although, I would never have known without your pointing it out)...

This isn't Time, Newsweek or some other general news magazine...it's a car magazine by and for car people for cryin' out loud. Not just for car people...for older car people who lived during that time period and live and breathe the subject. I would think they would hold themselves to a higher standard but I guess that's just a dream.

Maybe they do this on purpose just to get letters to print and create some controversy for its own sake. That doesn't sound likely but controversy gets them noticed and talked about.