PDA

View Full Version : Antique License Registration or Regular?

Marie Mac
03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
I chose to have a regular registration instead of a restricted one--I wanted to drive my car anytime I wanted, without time constraints...I'm just wondering how many SDC members have done the same?...second guessing myself after the fact (my State allows either choice).........Marie

Kurt
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
I have one of each. My 66 has regular registration. My 51 has antique plates. It suits the intended use for each of my cars.

Milaca
03-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I have collector car plates on my Studes and I go whenever and wherever I want to with no hastle. I have regular license on my F-150 and daily commuter car so it's not like I am shortchanging the government in any way. If I should ever get pulled over by the highway patrol for collector plates, I will argue my case in court! :)

raoul5788
03-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I have antique plates on all three of mine. Here in CT it doesn't restrict how I can drive it, though. Only the type of insurance does that.

Welcome
03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I chose to have a regular registration instead of a restricted one--I wanted to drive my car anytime I wanted, without time constraints...I'm just wondering how many SDC members have done the same?...second guessing myself after the fact (my State allows either choice).........Marie

Our State, Indiana, has a 3rd & 4th choice we can exercise; a personalized license plate i.e. "MM 56J" ...OR ....any 1956 Indiana license plate in good condition can be used as well. Do you have those 2 additional choices in WV???

Bobgray
03-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Here in Massachusetts at one time an antique plate was only good on the weekends or to shows . Now I believe the rule is to and from shows and to and from the garage. There is a show or cruise night every day of the week now. I do not have a antique plate now but I am thinking of putting on year of manufacturer plates. I think the older plates look great. Bob

Flashback
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Alabama has a (YOM) law, Year of Manufacture also. That's what I run.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/mineraloilandupdate12-8-10021-1.jpg

JBOYLE
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I have collectors plates on both of my toys, I agree with Chip, my insurance is more limiting than the plate type.
(As an aside, I have a show plate on my Bearcat...a 1914 NM plate...which I cover with my legal plate, in the past I've driven back from a show without covering it, and no police officer has ever stopped me...I really think they have better things to do than worry if you drive your collector car too often).

The main reason I have collectors plates is that in my state, they don't require a front plate...very important with an Avanti.

Marie Mac
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Our State, Indiana, has a 3rd & 4th choice we can exercise; a personalized license plate i.e. "MM 56J" ...OR ....any 1956 Indiana license plate in good condition can be used as well. Do you have those 2 additional choices in WV???
Yes we do...I found a 1956 plate and used it when I registered...I'm waiting to know if it's accepted or not...

rockne10
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Definitely varies by state and, ultimately, by your insurance carrier.
In Pennsylvania you can't get an antique or classic plate unless you have another vehicle with standard registration.
You are limited to parades, club activities and occasional transportation, whatever that means. The interpretation of the state is one day a week for personal pleasure. Years ago they stopped limiting antique driving to daylight only, though many folks are still under that impression.
My insurance (State Farm) expects less than 2000 miles per year per vehicle. In the event my standard vehicle is laid up for a period of time, the insurance doesn't care what I drive to work or play. I do them the courtesy of letting them know when that is necessary.

Marie Mac
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Our restriction is noon Friday til noon Monday, holidays, or driving for repairs, etc...many that have restricted plates pretty much drive when they want...I've been told that you can always argue your case for the latter; but, I went with regular...

Green53
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I have personalized plates on my 3 Studes. In Arizona a Historic plate is $25 and $15 per year renewal. Personalized are $25 every year plus the $25 regular fee.

Denny L
64 Avanti 4AVANTI
53 Champion Starliner Restomod 1COOL53
40 President Club Sedan street rod 40STBKR

SN-60
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
To: Marie Mac,----About this business of 'arguing Your case'. The burden of proof will always be with You. Everything is fine when running on a restricted antique plate until You (Heaven forbid) have a serious
accident that's Your fault....then...Good Luck!! You made the RIGHT DECISION when You chose to go with a regular registration if You intend to drive Your car during the week, or to and from work
on a somewhat regular basis.

Peanut
03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
When my Lark is rehabilitated, it will be my daily driver, so that isn't quite the same thing you're debating. But I think I would always want to have the option to drive my baby whenever I want. So I support you in your decision to go with regular registration. Worth the extra cost (at least in Missouri it costs more for regular registration than historic).

Chris_Dresbach
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I have regular plate and regular insurance on the '40. I found that it's cheaper and less hassle. I drive the thing whenever and wherever I fell like it really... The insurance is also a lot cheaper than a collector car pollicy. I put an Indiana 1940 plate on the front just for show.

okc63avanti
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
In Oklahoma you first pay regular license fee, show proof of insurance, and get current year registration sticker for the latest version of OK license plate. After doing this you fill out a form registering the regular license plate and registration numbers on the same form with your vintage YOM license plate number. This allows the State Dept of Motor Vehicles to link the two license nos. in their database. The extra fee for the vintage tag is about $20 per year. Once this is done you can display the YOM license plate on the rear of your car in place of the regular license plate. The regular license plate must be keep inside (trunk) at all times, its registration must be current and you are given a small current year "Vintage License" decal to stick on the lower left hand corner of the front windshield. Here's the tag that will be displayed on my avanti ....

63 R2 Hawk
03-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Oregon allows you to register your car as "Special Interest". You may use any "retired" license plate that would be correct for your vehicle year or a special issue "SP" plate, and there are no yearly registration fees. My Hawk has the early '60s Pacific Wonderland plate with a unique number/letter/punctuation combo. Only the rear plate is required. Driving is limited to parades, club events etc. My X brand truck has Vet plates.

lschuc
03-29-2012, 12:46 AM
When my Lark is rehabilitated, it will be my daily driver, so that isn't quite the same thing you're debating. But I think I would always want to have the option to drive my baby whenever I want. So I support you in your decision to go with regular registration. Worth the extra cost (at least in Missouri it costs more for regular registration than historic).

Missouri is getting out of control for vehicle licensing. I've always had a personalized plate (STUDE) on one of my Studebakers, either a '47 Champion, '55 Champion, or most recently, my '63 Avanti. When my personalized plates were due for registration in July, it would have cost more than $100 (personal plate + normal registration) EACH AND EVERY YEAR! It used to be half this amount, which at least wasn't that bad. This state has got so greedy and money hungry that I decided to only pay the $25 one-time fee for collector plates.

AnAvanti4Bob
03-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Just got my YOM plates for my 1963 Avanti. In MI we pay a $35 lifetime fee (non-expiring) and the plate is valid until the car is sold, transferred or scrapped. The vehicle must be "deemed safe to operate on MI highways" and cannot be used for "general transportation" (only club activities,etc.). Interestingly, the Secretary of State ruled in 2011 that the Woodward Dream Cruise (and similar events) are in compliance with state law with regard to year of manufacture or historical plates usage. MI is still motor-centric for car guys.

Peanut
03-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Missouri is getting out of control for vehicle licensing. I've always had a personalized plate (STUDE) on one of my Studebakers, either a '47 Champion, '55 Champion, or most recently, my '63 Avanti. When my personalized plates were due for registration in July, it would have cost more than $100 (personal plate + normal registration) EACH AND EVERY YEAR! It used to be half this amount, which at least wasn't that bad. This state has got so greedy and money hungry that I decided to only pay the $25 one-time fee for collector plates.

Missouri didn't used to offer 2-year renewals. And in 2011, your '63 would have been eligible for a 2-year renewal. So, just curious, was that $100 for a two-year renewal? If so, that works out to $50 per year, or "half this amount". :)

Also, keep in mind that, in Missouri, the "core" part of daily driver registration fees are based on the taxable horsepower of the engine (one of, if not THE only state to still do it this way). So, regardless of the 1-year versus 2-year issue, it is easy to see why the registration fee for your Avanti would be more than your '47 or '55 (not that it feels any better to your wallet!). The actual registration fees haven't changed in Missouri for decades.

03-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Yes we do...I found a 1956 plate and used it when I registered...I'm waiting to know if it's accepted or not...
Hope you don't get what I did. I took a beautiful '64 WV plate in to the DMV to register for my '64 Daytona. Woman ran the number and said I couldn't use that plate. The number was current for a handicapped plate.

Michidan
03-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Just got my YOM plates for my 1963 Avanti. In MI we pay a $35 lifetime fee (non-expiring) and the plate is valid until the car is sold, transferred or scrapped. The vehicle must be "deemed safe to operate on MI highways" and cannot be used for "general transportation" (only club activities,etc.). Interestingly, the Secretary of State ruled in 2011 that the Woodward Dream Cruise (and similar events) are in compliance with state law with regard to year of manufacture or historical plates usage. MI is still motor-centric for car guys.

Glad to hear your opinion on Michigan Bob. I cannot decide what to do either on this. Last year I put a regular plate on the 52 because I didn't want to be limited on driving it. Outside of a few trips to work though, it was really was mostly to shows. I have a nice 52 plate that would look great on my Stude. I asked some other guys at shows, where you see mostly YOM plates, and they claim to drive their stuff whenever they want. No one seems to worry about it.
I'm deathly afraid of switching to YOM plate, then having some yahoo hit the car. It's the insurance that worrys me.

BobGlasscock
03-29-2012, 08:02 AM
In Texas, I had about 3 choices of plates varying from very restricted use to no restriction. I chose the YOM option, bought my plates and took them to the courthouse. No restriction on car use and re-registration is only once every 10 years. And cheap, don't remember the dollar amount, but it is less than regular plates. The most expensive part was buying the plates, and it wasn't easy to find them.

sweetolbob
03-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Glad to hear your opinion on Michigan Bob. I cannot decide what to do either on this. Last year I put a regular plate on the 52 because I didn't want to be limited on driving it. Outside of a few trips to work though, it was really was mostly to shows. I have a nice 52 plate that would look great on my Stude. I asked some other guys at shows, where you see mostly YOM plates, and they claim to drive their stuff whenever they want. No one seems to worry about it.
I'm deathly afraid of switching to YOM plate, then having some yahoo hit the car. It's the insurance that worrys me.

Dan

My area is a smaller population center in Michigan than yours but I know of two instances where historical tagged vehicles were ticketed for non-compliance. In both cases the owners just blatantly disregarded the law and drove there cars as if they were normally tagged vehicles. Their problems came from the local law folks seeing the same old car day after day parked in the same general area. In one case it was where the individual was employed at a big box type store.

Thats blatant and can, in fact, muck up the whole concept for the folks that abide by the law. So I have no issue with issuing citations to the offenders.

In Michigan, the savings are large.

My 2008 Impala cost about $130/yr for plates and $650 annually with $500/$1MM coverage and I have a $3MM umbrella policy to cover all eventualities.
My 1983 Avanti costs about $3/yr plates and $160/yr for the same (actually better) coverage and is also covered by the umbrella policy. With three historically tagged vehicles that is a significant savings.

The local law folks don't seem to have any issues with my historically plated vehicles on the road at most any time because they don't see them very often. In fact, I passed a couple of police cars last week about 10:00 AM on a tuesday taking the Avanti to Munger for a little paint work from a friend. All I got was a thumbs up, and they don't even seem to care that the car ain't quiet.

In talking to the insurance folks, I'm of the opinion that it's ok to drive it, not regularily, but you need a purpose. I'm going to a show, I need to get a paint estimate, things like that. So I'm quite comfortable with the type and coverage I carry. With one car the financial pain is lower but why not just talk to the insurance folks and get a reading.

Bob

Marie Mac
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Hope you don't get what I did. I took a beautiful '64 WV plate in to the DMV to register for my '64 Daytona. Woman ran the number and said I couldn't use that plate. The number was current for a handicapped plate.
Paul...that's my concern..the plate I want to use is a small # of only 3 digits...I fear it might be in use & rejected, but I do have a backup, just in case.....Marie

41 Frank
03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
In Nebraska our Old Car Council was instrumental in lobbying for, and getting the state to allow YOM plates. We allready had historical plates restricted to hobby use of vehicle only. Both types of plates have a one time $65.00 fee. After the first vehicle the cost drops by $10.00. YOM plates only require one plate on rear of vehicle and they do a search to ensure the number is not being used. I have heard some rumblings that the state is contemplating charging us a yearly fee as they are always looking for more revenue sources. I have historical plates on three of my cars and a YOM plate on the 41 Champion. I have never been stopped and asked if I was on a hobby related run in 21 years. I do limit my driving to shows, cruise nights, club tours and occasional lunch with the car guys. All four are insured for agreed value with J.C.Taylor. The 41 has modified insurance, as it is not stock. It cost double of what the others cost.

Skip Lackie
03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Paul-
I have extra 64 WV plates if you want one. Can't guarantee that the number(s) won't be in current use on some other class of plate, though. They're probably all 6-digits with no letters, which was the WV passenger plate format at the time.

JRoberts
03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
In North Carolina you can run a YOM plate no matter how it is registered. The plates are not registered as an assigned plate. You must carry the restered plate (regular or historic it doesn't matter) with you and be able to show a law enforcement officer if so asked. The advantage of an antique or historic tag here is that it limits the tax value of your vehicle to $500. This alone is worth the extra cost of the plate. That said, if you do have a historic/antique tag the car cannot be a daily driver. However there is no mileage limit. As has been said previously insurance limits mileage for me. I carry a copy of the statute that allows the use of a YOM tag as some law enforcement folks are not aware of it.

BubbaBear
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Actually I think Missouri is one of the best when it come to collector car plates. $25, no inspection, proof of insurance and they are good for life. I believe we are restricted to 1200 miles a year plus club and show functions. So they allow for some pleasure driving. And it isn't monitored in any way. Obviously personalized are a different story. Will you be at the Easter show?

ozarkman
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Here in Arkansas they don't allow YOM plates!:mad: I have plates for both or our '56 Hawks, and also for my '62 Daytona. I can only use them at shows. I would gladly pay a yearly fee to be able to use them, as long as it didn't exceed the standard fee for regular registration. On the flip side, the Antique plates that the state offers are a one time fee for a permanent registration. As long as you keep the car insured, it's registered. They do have a few conditions on the Antique plates. Must have another car with a standard registration. You aren't allowed any modifications from stock!:eek: The only exception are for safety. That includes updated lighting, brakes, safety belts, and that's about it. Engine and body must remain stock. You also aren't allowed to tow anything for any reason. I've seen some very modified cars running the Antique plates and towing a trailer. They are technically in violation of the law, but I've never heard of anyone being cited for a violation.
As far as insurance goes, we went with Grundy. Rose read every word of the policy, and there aren't any limitations of use.

BeeJay
03-30-2012, 02:35 PM

I run YOM plates on all my toy cars. Have yet to be bothered for any of them. Of course, I am retired so I don't have the option of driving to work. I am insured with Grundy, and insurance wasn't a problem when I had trouble in SC on the way home from Daytona. Have put about 35,000 miles on the Stude since I put it together. My '33 Chevy has over 70,000 as a street rod with YOM plates. There are some kind of event in my area every night of the week (sometimes several to chose from) that may be why the police don't bother.
Bob

31Streetrod
03-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Paul...that's my concern..the plate I want to use is a small # of only 3 digits...I fear it might be in use & rejected, but I do have a backup, just in case.....Marie

Marie Mac, please keep us advised as to whether WV DMV approves the three digit number. I live in Martinsburg and it is my understanding that the first "1000 numbers" belong to the Governor. I know this was a fact way back when because my Dad had WV # 148 from 1949 thru 1961. I couldn't get away with a darn thing when I first started driving. I have a couple of his 148 plates and all of the DAV 148 tags.

aarrggh
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I have the regular plates . Those restricted plates in Minnesota are to cheap and plain lookin ....
And since spring has arrived i went to get tabs for my plates but they said its time for them to be updated . ( IE : More money for them ) .
So until i get my new plates in the mail i get to drive around with this piece of paper ;

http://i42.tinypic.com/57jp0.jpg

My outdated plate so they say ;

http://i42.tinypic.com/nlbci1.jpg

kirkdob
03-30-2012, 11:17 PM
I went to www.licenseplates.tv and had a set made with my correct license number. These are the correct plates for when my car was delivered in 1956 with the current number that matches my registration. Not sure if technically legal, but I've had no problems.

Skip Lackie
03-31-2012, 08:22 AM
I wrote the District of Columbia Historic Motor Vehicle licensing law (in the 1970s) and the DC YOM law (in the 1990s). In order to convince our local legislature that my proposal was common practice elsewhere, I accumulated as many comparable laws from other states and provinces as I could. As a result of this effort, I can say one thing with assurance: each state/province treats old cars differently. Some have several classes with different restrictions; some have no restrictions at all. Some require renewal annually; some are permanent for a single payment. Some require a pair of authentic, legible plates for YOM use and inspect the plates for compliance; some allow reproductions. Some permit duplication with current plate numbers; some do not. Some are "display" laws, and require HMV/antique auto plates to be carried inside the vehicle; others register the vehicle with the number on the YOM plate. Some limit YOM plates to certain numbers series; others permit anything. Questions regarding HMV/antique auto plates and YOM plates can only be answered by checking local state laws.

8E45E
03-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Here in Alberta, the YOM plate ruling is the same as Oklahoma's, it appears, where one MUST keep the current 'antique auto' plate somewhere inside the car in which it must be shown to a police officer should they ever get stopped. Again, like most other jurisdictions, one is only allowed to drive them to shows, or to and from a garage to be repaired. However, there WAS a time many years ago, when the two major cities, Edmonton and Calgary held their summer 10-day 'Old West'-themed celebrations, Klondike Days, and the Calgary Stampede, where one would see impressive amounts of antique cars on the road. As part of the celebrations, the law enforcment agencies looked the other way during those ten days where one could drive their antique-plate cars daily for any reason, but now with more traffic on the road and the more restrictive insurance regulations, that is part of the 'good old days', unfortunately.

Craig

Welcome
03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
I chose to have a regular registration instead of a restricted one--I wanted to drive my car anytime I wanted, without time constraints...<<<Marie

Marie,

Please be aware police in your area have been cracking down on improper license plated cars. Donít get caught like this poor driver did!!!;) http://tinyurl.com/7rbmm5c

Marie Mac
03-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Marie,

Please be aware police in your area have been cracking down on improper license plated cars. Don’t get caught like this poor driver did!!!;) http://tinyurl.com/7rbmm5c
Thanks Welcome--saw that on the news--what a hoot!...an adult with a sense of humor & adventure--thumbs up!!!
Marie

Lenny R2
03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
In Georgia antique tags cost $35.00 each & every year,i turned 2 antique plus 2 other special
tags so i saved $140.00 off my bill.I have a 64 tag for the Avanti but need to go to the DMV
to fill out the form,they have a metal detector at the entrance i always set off the alarm because of
the rods&screws in my back.You have to keep the Ga state tag &the paper in the car with you.

Peanut
03-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Word to the wise: If your state allows YOM registrations, be sure to contact the Motor Vehicle Bureau in your state to check the availability of the configuration before shelling out a bunch of bucks on plates. Nothing worse than finding out that your sweet "new" plates can't be used for registration.

In Missouri, you can send an e-mail to mvbmail@dor.mo.gov to have them check for you.

rusty65
03-31-2012, 04:17 PM
I currently have historic plates on the Daytona and always have.My classic insurance company allows 2,500 miles per year on each antique vehicle.No driving to and from work or school, blah, blah,blah.Whenever Sarah gets a real paint job,I'm going to opt for YOM plates.I have 2 I'm thinking of using;one,a 2letter,4 number plate or a dealer plate.Both look really nice.The site that Kirkdob mentioned looks pretty cool though! I wonder if the Maryland MVA would allow one of those plates to be used.Interesting.......

On another note, I got historic plates for my Crapparo in January, but I still have it insured as a daily driver.100% legal.

redbox
04-01-2012, 05:34 AM
In Maryland they don’t care what plates you put on the old cars as long as your carry the regular plates in the car. They are just happy to get their money.
I have ’63 plates on the Avanit and ’56 plates on the 56J

Skip Lackie
04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
One warning re Maryland YOM plates. The Maryland law requires a matched, legible pair of plates for YOM use, except in those years (55, 56) that Md issued only single plates. Redbox is correct that most local Md MVA offices will allow the use of dealer plates as YOM. But be aware that Md only issued dealer plates as singles in some years, even though all other classes of plates came as pairs. In those years (maybe after Stude stopped building cars, though) a single dealer plate is not supposed to be allowed as a YOM plate. Your results may vary, however.

SN-60
04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
To:redbox,---Hard to believe Maryland is that 'loose' about what plates can be attached to an antique vehicle..........I like it!!!!

redbox
04-02-2012, 05:06 AM
Both plates are a matched set. I even had another set of '56 plates that were one number off from mine that I sold to a friend with a '56 Tbird.

Maryland is just looking for any way to tax us more! That is why we can do it.

Marie Mac
04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Well Guys,
Situation resolved...my license plate application for a 1956 #624 was rejected!...I was informed that all numbers 2, 000 & under were reserved for the governor...DRATS!...I have one that's over 2,000 that was approved to use though...so, Paul, if you can find one larger than 2,000, you most likely can use it...
Marie

63 R2 Hawk
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I guess I'm lucky to be in Oregon. I recently re-registered my '63 Hawk to a 1963 stickered Pacific Wonderland plate with the added SI (Special Interest) sticker for a one time $89 fee. OR requires only one single plate and you can register your vehicle to any appropriate-year plate that is not currently in use. Incidentally, my short plate number is 1L:23 . I have no idea what it originally meant but colons and other punctuation are no longer allowed to be used on plates so it is unique.

Marie Mac
04-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Oregon's policy makes good sense to me...if a plate is antique, the number should be irrelevant, but I was not consulted by the guys who make the rules...oh well...

SN-60
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
To: Marie Mac,----- When You have time, how about posting a few more photos of Your '56 Golden? (Pinky) Thanks!

irish
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
As others have mentioned Oklahoma does allow you to register and use a YOM tag but Oklahoma doesn't have a 'antique vehicle' or limited use type of tag. When your car turns 25 years old you only pay 22.50 a year and for that you get a regular license plate, not a bad deal.

Joe