PDA

View Full Version : New old guy here

CHIEF BLAZE
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Hello All - Old Gearhead Here:

My knowledge about Studebakers is more than 50 years old (but then, so are all of the Studebakers I owned). After an absence of any Studebakers in my garage since 1964, I'm back. I had 5 of the coupes or hardtops from 1959 through 1964. Have you ever seen a 1953 Coupe with an entire 56 Corvette Rear body look alike? I had one. More on a future post.

I recently looked at a 55 Studebaker on E Bay. Wow, a 55 President Coupe. I have never had one of those. I have maybe owned 150 cars in my 71 years, but never have I bought a car without laying my own eyes and hands on it. What to do? I'm in N. California and the car is in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

I was referred to Dave (Studedude) and we had a nice long phone call. What a coincidence finding him. Turns out Dave had gone out to help the guy that owned the car I just bought. See Dave's post regarding My car on the web.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?59602-It-Was-a-Dark-and-Stormy-Day&highlight=1955+studebaker[/COLOR][/U][/B]

Now I've "Torn It". I bought the car. I am having it detailed and an after-market A/C installed. I look forward to joining the SDC and I am very grateful for this web site. But, the site is a trap! You can spend hours and hours reading the articles here (LOL).

More later.

CHIEF BLAZE:)

Roscomacaw
03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Welcome aboard, Chief! Good luck with your latest Stude!

55coupe
03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi welcome to the forum. Go to Hawk Talks sdc check our calender when you can come to one of our meetings. Stephen Rainville

warrlaw1
03-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, Chief. My family owned a 50 Starlite, some M15 dump trucks, 57 Silverhawk and a 60 Lark V1. They didn't look after them. My first stude was a 55 Commander Coupe and I lost it when I was leaving the country and had to pay some bills. 40 years later I have another 55 Commander, this one a hardtop, and with the help of this forum and SDC vendors, it has seen a total body off refurb. I'm looking after this one! Good luck with yours.

studegary
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome, Chief Blaze! Are you a fire chief?

Our backgrounds are somewhat similar. I am a bit older than you. I have owned more than 100 cars, of which more than 50 were Studebakers. I worked on cars, but my early Studebaker specific knowledge came from working with/for a guy that was the head mechanic at a Studebaker dealership.

Dick Steinkamp
03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Have you ever seen a 1953 Coupe with an entire 56 Corvette Rear body look alike? I had one. More on a future post.

Was it this car?...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics1.jpg

TDITS
03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Holy crap I like that. Tell me more about it.

Oh and welcome Chief, the Stude waters are warm.

Was it this car?...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics1.jpg

ozarkman
03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
... But, the site is a trap! You can spend hours and hours reading the articles here (LOL).

More later.

CHIEF BLAZE:)

Indeed it is! Next thing you know, you'll have a second Stude too!!;)

Welcome to the site!

BobPalma
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Welcome aboard indeed. Post pictures when you can! BP

rusty nut garage
03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I can't say that I've cared for many of the custom Bourke Coupe cars but this one.....................I LIKES IT!!!!

Was it this car?...

Sdude
03-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome neighbor. Like Steve already said, go to www.Hawktalks.com and check us out. Lots of activities close to home and we'd love to see you and your new Stude.

If, like Studegary suggested, you are a former or current fire fighter, we have another retired fireman in our club.

Hope to meet up with you.

CHIEF BLAZE
03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Was it this car?...

Hi Dick: That's my name too. If that isn't the car it is identical. The color is exactly right on. Does this one have the truck top mounted floor shift on the 3 speed tranny? I put it there.

I was about to lament in my next posting that I had no remaining pictures of the car. This is identical to the one I had. Now I have to scratch the gray matter to come up with exactly when I bought it. Let's confirm the car was the one I had and then I will tell you the story. By the way, posting here is great. In addition, I have no problem with e mail either. richlock@volcano.net

Just for more clues: It was probably around 1961 or so. I bought it from a guy in Berkeley, CA. I lived in San Lorenzo at the time. He was not the one that had originally built the car.

Do you own the car?

I am fairly computer fluent but could use some forum help here. I am not sure how to post a picture of my new ride. Also, when I do these postings, I would like to have a copy go to my own e mails so I can keep organized (at 71 that can be a challenge you know.)

Thanks for the quick reply on this one.

Dick AKA: CHIEF BLAZE (and in answer to another posting, Chief is retired Police Chief and Blaze is my nick name as a Destruction Derby Driver.......no never a Studebaker!)

CHIEF BLAZE
03-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Hi: I too would like you to see my new (old) 55. However, it is probably going to be a few months. If you followed Studedude's posts, you know it needs a little help. For 10 years I lived in the Ft. Smith, AR. area. A close friend runs a used parts (Never call em wrecking yards no more) and body shop there. He is picking up the car for me in Stillwater, OK and taking it to his shop. A/C aftemarket, rub out paint, all the stuff that Dave mentioned, before I have it sent out to CA.

By the way, I live in Pioneer, CA which is above Jackson, Ca. Once the car arrives you should see my wife Kerry and I at some of your functions.

Man, I don't need to be running on at the mouth (fingers) this much but you can probably tell that I am excited and am revisiting my youth with this car. I have Fremont Drag Strip stories to tell and lots more. My 55 Commander (Alpena Blue color, V8 engine, automatic stock except for President 4 bbl carb & intake) had the track record in 1959 and peed off a whole lot of 55 and 56 Chevy owners. No self-respecting Chevy owner in those days would admit to being blown off by a Studebaker LOL.

I can't believe that Green Stude=vette response so soon. I had lost all hope of ever seeing that one again, or even accurately describing it. Wow.

More Soon.

Two questions Please: 1. How to post a picture on my mail.

2. How to CC myself on these postings.

Thank You all for making us feel so welcomed!

Dick and Kerry

Corvanti
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
another welcome here from a retired l.e.o. (only made it to Lt. in so-cal :o), and went over to probation/parole in NC in the early 90's...

my 1st name happens to be Kerry. :)

with posting pics, the easiest way i've found is use the square "whatever you call it" to the right of the envelope, on the advanced reply option. that will let you download pics from your 'puter picture file and make them thumbnails. the dial-up folks like that. others will be along shortly and direct you to the other instructions here on the other ways to use photo bucket, etc.

looking forward to pics!!!

BubbaBear
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
But, the site is a trap! You can spend hours and hours reading the articles here (LOL).

Is there a downside to that? <G>

Sdude
03-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Our next meeting is Saturay, April 21st in Stockton. (not far from Pioneer) Just to make sure you are clear on this... You don't need to bring a Studebaker to attend. There will be plenty there. This is a fun event as it is a joint meeting from several California local chapters as well as the Avanti club.

Hope you can make it. There will be more information in the next issue of Hawk Talks. Look for it on the web site in a couple of weeks. I'm just putting it together now.

Dick Steinkamp
03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Dick: That's my name too. If that isn't the car it is identical. The color is exactly right on. Does this one have the truck top mounted floor shift on the 3 speed tranny? I put it there.

I was about to lament in my next posting that I had no remaining pictures of the car. This is identical to the one I had. Now I have to scratch the gray matter to come up with exactly when I bought it. Let's confirm the car was the one I had and then I will tell you the story. By the way, posting here is great. In addition, I have no problem with e mail either. richlock@volcano.net

Just for more clues: It was probably around 1961 or so. I bought it from a guy in Berkeley, CA. I lived in San Lorenzo at the time. He was not the one that had originally built the car.

Do you own the car?

I am fairly computer fluent but could use some forum help here. I am not sure how to post a picture of my new ride. Also, when I do these postings, I would like to have a copy go to my own e mails so I can keep organized (at 71 that can be a challenge you know.)

Thanks for the quick reply on this one.

Dick AKA: CHIEF BLAZE (and in answer to another posting, Chief is retired Police Chief and Blaze is my nick name as a Destruction Derby Driver.......no never a Studebaker!)

That car was customized by Lee Talbot. He was living in Livermore, CA, at that time. Probably late 1950's.

I restored another one of his customs in 2008 and took it to the 2009 Grand National Roadster Show.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/Ute%20Photo%20Shoot/pics037-1.jpg

I chronicled the build here...

Kart Hauler (http://studeute.steinkamp.us/)

I was fortunate enough to meet Lee and he helped me through the restoration of the Kart Hauler. Lee gave me some pictures of other cars he did and the one with the Vette tail lights was among them. I don't own that one. My guess is that Lee sold it to the guy in Berkeley that you bought it from.

I can put you in touch with Lee if you wish. I'm sure he would be happy to hear from you. He is currently living in Astoria, OR.

Pat Dilling
03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey Chief, Another member of the Karel Staple chapter here welcoming you and also looking forward to meeting you at one of our events.

Pat
(Also a Chief <Master Sergeant>)

CHIEF BLAZE
03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Man: The world just keeps getting smaller and smaller. For a very short while (1992 and early 93) I was Police Chief of Astoria. Sure, please do turn the guy on to my e mail address. Until I hear from him, I will try to put that car back in my mind. One thing I recall: The tail work must have been fiberglass because I always had trouble with the grounding an those sleeved Corvette tail lights.

OK: Is this green one a one of a kind? If so, it was definitely mine. The guy in the Berkeley or Oakland hills was an old guy. LOL: I was 20 or so at the time so he was probably younger than me now. Anyway, he had advertised a yellow 1953 2 dr. commander hardtop. In his yard was the yellow one and this green one that "He didn't want to sell." Now there is a challenge, right? So, I got him to sell it to me. It was like apple green in color. I think I paid about $450 in 1960 dollars (lotz a buks then). The 53 had been listed at $350.

Do we know if the green one (lets call it a Studevette or a Corvebaker) was a 54 or a 54...I can't remember? I also can't remember why I sold it. Maybe the dash was hashed because I remember putting in the truck floor shift and a turned alum. dash out of a 56 speedster w all the nice guages. This car was a v8 and it ran good. I wonder if anyone has seen this out there. If anyone has, it will probably be someone that reads these forum entries. Thanks for the reply. Dick

kmac530
03-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Big welcome to the site Blaze.
Looks like you have already made a big splash and a few new friends.
Glad to have you here and I hope you figure out how to post some pics, we love them here.
Kelly

kurtruk
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Dick,
To keep track of your threads go to "Settings," at the top of the page. Click on that. Look down the LEFT side for "MY Settings." Click that. Then click "General Settings." You should find something like this to the right:

"Default thread subscription mode."
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Then whenever you log on, click on "Quick Links," and then "Subscribed Threads." All threads you have participated in should be there. That's how I have mine set up. Many options to tailor it how you want.

What a great place, huh?

showbizkid
03-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Hey Dick - Welcome to the Forum! I'm glad we got you on here ;)

Kurt gave you the skinny on the thread subscriptions - there's a tutorial on how to post photos posted here - have a look. (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/announcement.php?f=6&a=6) You'll be posting pictures in no time!

Studedude
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Good to see you made it here, Dick!

Things are gonna start happnin' now!

CHIEF BLAZE
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi Jon: Nice to meet you. My wife (Kerry) and I will probably be able to make that April meeting in Stockton.
Guess we will have to drive there in our other automotive toy, (screaming yellow 2004 Mach I Mustang.) Our Stude won't be here yet.

A little new guy guidance here please:

What (and how) do we join? Do we join the local chapter? I take it that would be the Karel Staple Chapter? Does that enroll us in a SDC national group too?
Please send some information on dues, form(s) to fill out, etc.

I notice there are different headings above the members icons. Like yours, SDUDE "President Member". Does the President label refer to your car or to your office holding?

Thanks Jon I will look for your answers here on the forum.

CHIEF BLAZE
03-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Very grateful to all your advice. Without your review of the ride, I probably would have bought the car anyway, but I will always be thankful for putting me more at ease as I spent lotsabuks for a car I never saw or touched.

Thank You Dave

warrlaw1
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
The member designation escalates with the number of posts one contributes. Champion is the starting point. It is a recent thing. Don't let it discourage you, Chief.

Corvanti
03-29-2012, 01:39 PM
join the SDC here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?2554-JOIN-THE-SDC...right-here-right-now!

this is also found in the "sticky" sections on top of the forum sections. :)

showbizkid
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Champion is the starting point...Don't let it discourage you

How could being called a Champion discourage anyone? :D

That's one of the reasons we don't have a "Dictator"-level membership ;)

CHIEF BLAZE
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
LOL. Who's Discouraged? Just curious. Your reasoning makes sense, and its probably a good thing Studebaker never made a "Supreme Allied Commander" model either.

Thanks for the reply.

Studedude
03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Thank You Dave
My pleasure!

CHIEF BLAZE
03-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the information.... So much to learn....so little time...... LOL. We just joined. Member # A014564L.

Dick and Kerry

CHIEF BLAZE
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
In my excitement over your picture of that corvette tailed Stude, I completely forgot to tell you just how great that Kart Hauler looks. I am guessing that the color on your car is the same as the C. Tail Stude? Congratulations on a really beautiful hauler there. I wonder if it is possible that the coupe with the C. Tail is still out there somewhere? Still awaiting a contact from Lee to find out more about the build on the C. Tail.

dick

Dick Steinkamp
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
In my excitement over your picture of that corvette tailed Stude, I completely forgot to tell you just how great that Kart Hauler looks. I am guessing that the color on your car is the same as the C. Tail Stude? Congratulations on a really beautiful hauler there. I wonder if it is possible that the coupe with the C. Tail is still out there somewhere? Still awaiting a contact from Lee to find out more about the build on the C. Tail.

dick

Dick,
Lee Talbot's email is talbotjudy at q dot com. Send him an email. I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you.

When Lee built the Kart Hauler, he painted it T-Bird Pink...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6a.jpg

I tried hard, but I just couldn't do the pink. :eek: I got Lee's permission to paint it 1953 Stude Chippewa Green which I believe is the same color that yours was.

Here's Lee in a Hot Rod TV video at that 2009 Grand National Roadster Show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnzF0M4B7M&feature=player_embedded

Effie
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Welcome aboard; enjoy the new old Stude.

warrlaw1
03-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Did I ever tell you Dick was an honourary Canadian?

Sdude
03-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Sent you a PM

junior
03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Another view of the coupe with vette rearend...

http://www.kustomrama.com/images/thumb/7/73/Lee-talbot-studebaker-custom2.jpg/400px-Lee-talbot-studebaker-custom2.jpg

candbstudebakers
03-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Our next meeting is Saturay, April 21st in Stockton. (not far from Pioneer) Just to make sure you are clear on this... You don't need to bring a Studebaker to attend. There will be plenty there. This is a fun event as it is a joint meeting from several California local chapters as well as the Avanti club.

Hope you can make it. There will be more information in the next issue of Hawk Talks. Look for it on the web site in a couple of weeks. I'm just putting it together now.

Dick welcome aboard the forum, if by chance you can make the meet in Stockton there is a good chance of seeing an old time drag race driver from the Fremont strip also in a Studebaker a pea green 52 starlite coupe he ran this for years and just stopped a few years ago I think he is 76 or so, his name is Bob Mikulic and lives in Fremont, back then he ran there and Half moon bay but over the years he has ran all over California, went from a 232 with 3 speed to R-2 with auto ran in the 12"s near the end, hope to see and meet you in Stockton......Bob

Dick Steinkamp
03-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Dick welcome aboard the forum, if by chance you can make the meet in Stockton there is a good chance of seeing an old time drag race driver from the Fremont strip also in a Studebaker a pea green 52 starlite coupe he ran this for years and just stopped a few years ago I think he is 76 or so, his name is Bob Mikulic and lives in Fremont, back then he ran there and Half moon bay but over the years he has ran all over California, went from a 232 with 3 speed to R-2 with auto ran in the 12"s near the end, hope to see and meet you in Stockton......Bob

Here's a few pics of that car....

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/71d0.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/5d01.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/5c17.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/22f4.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/97f4.jpg

Bob...I think that was about 10 years ago at your church in Castro Valley. You AND Clayton were a lot younger ;)

CHIEF BLAZE
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=junior;634178]Another view of the coupe with vette rearend...

Typical of my profession (retired LE) something tucked way back in my gray matter triggered a recall of the license number on the ride. THIS B IT!

I'm still waiting on a e mail reply from Lee. I bet the build story on this car is very interesting.

Thanks for this post Junior

candbstudebakers
03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Here's a few pics of that car....

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/71d0.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/5d01.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/5c17.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/22f4.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/97f4.jpg

Bob...I think that was about 10 years ago at your church in Castro Valley. You AND Clayton were a lot younger ;)

Dick, that was the show and that fellow with us is not Bob but an old friend and studebaker nut Dave Carter, he has since moved back southeast and have not heard from him since then, have you ? Dick where do you keep coming up with all these pictures so fast? I don't remember you being at the show but I guess you were.

studeclunker
03-31-2012, 01:20 PM
And here I thought Chief might'a meant CPO. Welcome back to the madness.;)

Dick Steinkamp
03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Dick, that was the show and that fellow with us is not Bob but an old friend and studebaker nut Dave Carter, he has since moved back southeast and have not heard from him since then, have you ? Dick where do you keep coming up with all these pictures so fast? I don't remember you being at the show but I guess you were.

I try to keep in touch with Dave, but it has been a while.

Dave did a beautiful 53 Champion Sedan. The most perfect one I have ever seen. He sold it almost immediately after he finished it and started in on a 51 business coupe "phantom". He installed a 289 and three speed OD but the rest was bone stock. The biz coupe was spot on perfect. I believe he still has that one. IIRC, he got both cars from you. Here it is parked next to my car at that show. I think we came together...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/d6b9.jpg

candbstudebakers
03-31-2012, 07:13 PM
I try to keep in touch with Dave, but it has been a while.

Dave did a beautiful 53 Champion Sedan. The most perfect one I have ever seen. He sold it almost immediately after he finished it and started in on a 51 business coupe "phantom". He installed a 289 and three speed OD but the rest was bone stock. The biz coupe was spot on perfect. I believe he still has that one. IIRC, he got both cars from you. Here it is parked next to my car at that show. I think we came together...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Castro%20Valley%20Car%20Show/d6b9.jpg

Ya and the white hawk is Pat's 4 speed car he got it from me also, Dave got the coupe out of South Dakota I think but got the new running gear from me, and he found out just because it was a 51 it didn't make it any easier putting a V-8 in to it for those that think it is a bolt in change good luck.

kirkdob
04-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Chief,

I see you are in Pioneer CA. I have a vacation house in Arnold. I have a list of all the old car events around that area. There are a bunch of small car shows, Ironstone is the big one, and a bunch of Murphy's cruise nights, chili feeds in Jackson etc. Let me know if your interested and I'll get it to you.

Kirk

CHIEF BLAZE
04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Kirk: Sure! Any information is appreciated. I am in touch with SDUDE too for their local activities. As of this time, my wife and I are planning on attending their meeting in Stockton in April. I don't know if you are a member of that same group or not but maybe we will meet there?

Thanks Dick '

PS Your note reminds me that I need to post a thing on gas tank wanted. I saw the one about the fabricated aluminum but think I want to stay with a stock one.

candbstudebakers
04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Chief, I was in Pine Grove today picking up a nice hood and trunk lid for my 66 Daytona hardtop project, while there I ended up saying ok on a 56 "C" cab truck bed trailer, nice box, nice fenders, nice tailgate and licensed and ready to haul away, the truck I had today didn't have a ball so will be going back with my 01 Chevy some time this week or next, just could not so no to the really nice parts on this trailer, I will be in Stockton and will see you there if not before....Bob

kirkdob
04-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Dick.

Not sure about April event, what date and what is it? If you send me a private message with an email address, I'll send you a link to a Google calendar I keep with all the car events for the Gold Country listed. One way or another, looking forward to meeting you and your wife.

Kirk

CHIEF BLAZE
04-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi Dick: A rather old post to reply but here's a coincidence. I just heard from a friend in Livermore. He knows Studebakers a little as his first car was a 48 Land Cruiser. Anyway, he said: "Theres a guy running around Livermore with a 50 stoodie sedan with a truck bed. Sounds funny but he did a good job..."

So I sent him a picture of yours (I know yours is not a 50 and you are in Washington State). I haven't heard back from him, but there is at least one other conversion Studebaker in the Livermore Area. When he writes back I will try for more information.

This is just kind of an FYI.

The reason the friend in Livermore told me about the 50 conversion was that I had sent him a picture of the "Studevette" that Lee had worked on.

Also, I wrote to the builder of the "Studevette" but didn't get an answer. Have you heard from him lately? Please give me his e mail address once more and I will try again.

Dick (AKA Blaze)