Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old guy here

Hello All - Old Gearhead Here:

My knowledge about Studebakers is more than 50 years old (but then, so are all of the Studebakers I owned). After an absence of any Studebakers in my garage since 1964, I'm back. I had 5 of the coupes or hardtops from 1959 through 1964. Have you ever seen a 1953 Coupe with an entire 56 Corvette Rear body look alike? I had one. More on a future post.

I recently looked at a 55 Studebaker on E Bay. Wow, a 55 President Coupe. I have never had one of those. I have maybe owned 150 cars in my 71 years, but never have I bought a car without laying my own eyes and hands on it. What to do? I'm in N. California and the car is in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

I was referred to Dave (Studedude) and we had a nice long phone call. What a coincidence finding him. Turns out Dave had gone out to help the guy that owned the car I just bought. See Dave's post regarding My car on the web.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...955+studebaker[/COLOR][/U][/B]

Now I've "Torn It". I bought the car. I am having it detailed and an after-market A/C installed. I look forward to joining the SDC and I am very grateful for this web site. But, the site is a trap! You can spend hours and hours reading the articles here (LOL).

More later.

CHIEF BLAZE
    Last edited by CHIEF BLAZE; 03-28-2012, 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Welcome aboard, Chief! Good luck with your latest Stude!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum. Go to Hawk Talks sdc check our calender when you can come to one of our meetings. Stephen Rainville

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Chief. My family owned a 50 Starlite, some M15 dump trucks, 57 Silverhawk and a 60 Lark V1. They didn't look after them. My first stude was a 55 Commander Coupe and I lost it when I was leaving the country and had to pay some bills. 40 years later I have another 55 Commander, this one a hardtop, and with the help of this forum and SDC vendors, it has seen a total body off refurb. I'm looking after this one! Good luck with yours.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Welcome, Chief Blaze! Are you a fire chief?

Our backgrounds are somewhat similar. I am a bit older than you. I have owned more than 100 cars, of which more than 50 were Studebakers. I worked on cars, but my early Studebaker specific knowledge came from working with/for a guy that was the head mechanic at a Studebaker dealership.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by CHIEF BLAZE View Post
            Have you ever seen a 1953 Coupe with an entire 56 Corvette Rear body look alike? I had one. More on a future post.
            Was it this car?...

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Holy crap I like that. Tell me more about it.

Oh and welcome Chief, the Stude waters are warm.

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
              Was it this car?...

TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Originally posted by CHIEF BLAZE View Post
                ... But, the site is a trap! You can spend hours and hours reading the articles here (LOL).

More later.

CHIEF BLAZE
                Indeed it is! Next thing you know, you'll have a second Stude too!!

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Welcome aboard indeed. Post pictures when you can! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I can't say that I've cared for many of the custom Bourke Coupe cars but this one.....................I LIKES IT!!!!
                    Was it this car?...

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Welcome neighbor. Like Steve already said, go to www.Hawktalks.com and check us out. Lots of activities close to home and we'd love to see you and your new Stude.

If, like Studegary suggested, you are a former or current fire fighter, we have another retired fireman in our club.

Hope to meet up with you.
                      Jon Stalnaker
                      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

If it isn't its the sister!

Was it this car?...

Hi Dick: That's my name too. If that isn't the car it is identical. The color is exactly right on. Does this one have the truck top mounted floor shift on the 3 speed tranny? I put it there.

I was about to lament in my next posting that I had no remaining pictures of the car. This is identical to the one I had. Now I have to scratch the gray matter to come up with exactly when I bought it. Let's confirm the car was the one I had and then I will tell you the story. By the way, posting here is great. In addition, I have no problem with e mail either. richlock@volcano.net

Just for more clues: It was probably around 1961 or so. I bought it from a guy in Berkeley, CA. I lived in San Lorenzo at the time. He was not the one that had originally built the car.

Do you own the car?

I am fairly computer fluent but could use some forum help here. I am not sure how to post a picture of my new ride. Also, when I do these postings, I would like to have a copy go to my own e mails so I can keep organized (at 71 that can be a challenge you know.)

Thanks for the quick reply on this one.

Dick AKA: CHIEF BLAZE (and in answer to another posting, Chief is retired Police Chief and Blaze is my nick name as a Destruction Derby Driver.......no never a Studebaker!)

Comment

HI NEIGHBOR BACKATCHa-- RETIRED POLICE CHIEF HERE (BUT I LIKES FIREMEN TOO)

Hi: I too would like you to see my new (old) 55. However, it is probably going to be a few months. If you followed Studedude's posts, you know it needs a little help. For 10 years I lived in the Ft. Smith, AR. area. A close friend runs a used parts (Never call em wrecking yards no more) and body shop there. He is picking up the car for me in Stillwater, OK and taking it to his shop. A/C aftemarket, rub out paint, all the stuff that Dave mentioned, before I have it sent out to CA.

By the way, I live in Pioneer, CA which is above Jackson, Ca. Once the car arrives you should see my wife Kerry and I at some of your functions.

Man, I don't need to be running on at the mouth (fingers) this much but you can probably tell that I am excited and am revisiting my youth with this car. I have Fremont Drag Strip stories to tell and lots more. My 55 Commander (Alpena Blue color, V8 engine, automatic stock except for President 4 bbl carb & intake) had the track record in 1959 and peed off a whole lot of 55 and 56 Chevy owners. No self-respecting Chevy owner in those days would admit to being blown off by a Studebaker LOL.

I can't believe that Green Stude=vette response so soon. I had lost all hope of ever seeing that one again, or even accurately describing it. Wow.

More Soon.

Two questions Please: 1. How to post a picture on my mail.

2. How to CC myself on these postings.

Thank You all for making us feel so welcomed!

Dick and Kerry
                          Last edited by CHIEF BLAZE; 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM. Reason: Adding information

Comment

another welcome here from a retired l.e.o. (only made it to Lt. in so-cal ), and went over to probation/parole in NC in the early 90's...

my 1st name happens to be Kerry.

with posting pics, the easiest way i've found is use the square "whatever you call it" to the right of the envelope, on the advanced reply option. that will let you download pics from your 'puter picture file and make them thumbnails. the dial-up folks like that. others will be along shortly and direct you to the other instructions here on the other ways to use photo bucket, etc.

looking forward to pics!!!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

But, the site is a trap! You can spend hours and hours reading the articles here (LOL).
                              Is there a downside to that? <G>
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X