Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can supercharger fluid get into the air filters on an R2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Can supercharger fluid get into the air filters on an R2?

I got a nasty surprise the other day. Heard a rattle under the hood. Traced it to the supercharger. The fluid level didn't even register on the dipstick. It took 6 oz of Type A trans fluid to refill it. It was full the last time I checked it. The rattle stopped, but I'm concerned as to what happened. I recently found what I thought was engine oil residue when I changed the air filters. Now I'm wondering if it could somehow be the S/C fluid? And how is that possible? Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Ed: The supercharger needs to be rebuilt pronto. The "rattle" might have gone away promptly when you filled it with fluid, but the damage is done and it should be rebuilt before it seizes and costs even more to have done. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The proper fluid for the supercharger is Type F ATF !
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I think the original spec called for type "A", but that is no longer available, replaced by type "F" or "FA". Either should be OK on a properly operating supercharger.

Comment

Typo. I used Type F trans fluid.

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
          The proper fluid for the supercharger is Type F ATF !
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

To answer the question posed, yes, it is possible to get S/C fluid pumped into the scroll housing. There could be several potential causes for this to happen. Lack of vent cover in the scroll area, defective inner O-ring if your unit has the pressure balance orifice from the scroll housing to the region between the O-rings, and worn or broken seal rings on the output shaft or scored bore, are all possible causes. As Bob Palma suggests, your unit needs to be completely disassembled and inspected for damaged drive parts (driver, balls and inner and outer races) as well as the cause of fluid loss.

Comment

Hi Guy's..
              Please correct me if I am wrong.. But, doesn't the Supercharger draw ai though the air filter before sending it to the carburetor.. Even if the seals and all were leaking the oil would go into the Carburetor.. Right?
              Ron Husak
              Ron Husak
              Conifer, CO
              Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
              63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

As I understand it, type "F", ( not "FA"), Ford Automatac Transmission Fluid, is the latest approved lubricant for their ball drive superchargers, by Paxton. Their tests were done 15 or 20 years ago. I ordered a case from the local Ford dealer a few years ago. Requirements involve heat tolerance. Trickier, the drive balls have to roll. If they slide across the races, or output shaft; they will fail. More slippery is not better!
                Mike M.

Comment

Yes. I am fearful that you are 100% correct. Even though it seems to be operating fine and not making any noise now, the fluid had to escape somewhere. And, there are no visible leaks. Musta blown it into the engine thru leaking seals or bad bearings. This S/C probably hasn't been touched in 49 years. Thanks for the straight dope. :-(

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Ed: The supercharger needs to be rebuilt pronto. The "rattle" might have gone away promptly when you filled it with fluid, but the damage is done and it should be rebuilt before it seizes and costs even more to have done. BP
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

There is a better fluid available from John Erb called Santrac (?spelling?)

Comment

Working...
                    X