PDA

View Full Version : Found March 1957 Hot Rod Magazine

SilverHawkDan
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Here is an interesting piece of Studebaker History. I bought a Hot Rod magazine on the web for my dad. He owned a 57 Golden Hawk with belly pans. Part of the Bonneville prep collection. I was amazed by two things. One was the length and thoroughness of the article and test drive. The other thing that was cool was the author and test pilot. None other than cam and race car builder Racer Brown. Cool stuff. Question is, is it ok to scan and post the article here at SDC? Don't want to cause any problems or get in trouble.
Dan

mbstude
03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I'd certainly like to learn more about these factory-backed '57 Golden Hawk Bonneville cars...

SilverHawkDan
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Matthew,
I will share all that I know about them and I will contact Andy Granatelli to fill in the blanks. The question I have is a legal one. I would like to post the scanned magazine article but I am not sure if it's legal to do so. I think it is since I am not selling the information simply posting it for others to read. So can I do it?
Dan

PackardV8
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I've also, got that 4/57 HRM issue where Racer Brown road tested the '57 GH on El Mirage dry lake and hit a top speed of 122 MPH @ 5100 RPMs. Racer did many HRM Road Tests of new cars in the mid-to-late-'50s. At the end of each test, he would give recommendations on how to modify the subject cars for racing.

I'd certainly like to learn more about these factory-backed '57 Golden Hawk Bonneville cars... Before we get too excited here, where are the written references for any factory Bonneville effort in '57? While the Granatelli brothers bought Paxton in 1957, and thus they sold S-P superchargers for the '58 GH and PH, do we know about any direct involvement in Studebaker racing before S-P bought Paxton in 1962?

jack vines

Welcome
03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
>>>Question is, is it ok to scan and post the article here at SDC? Don't want to cause any problems or get in trouble.
Dan

Hey, is this one of those trick questions???:rolleyes::D

There is NO NAME at all in your SDC Forum profile so for all we know you may even be the Owner of Hot Rod magazine?!?!

SN-60
03-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, what Packard V-8 said, I think we're talking about a new, completely stock, 1957 Golden Hawk that was thoroughly road tested by 'Hot Rod' Magazine in '57. The last few paragraphs of the article described
Racer Brown's recommendations on how to make this '57 Golden go even faster. But these ideas, (one was fitting a four barrel carb), were never done to this vehicle.

SilverHawkDan
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I was referencing the article to see if Bacer Brown had made notice of the Bonneville Golden Hawks. After reading the article it appears he never mentioned them.

I have updated my imformation so you will be able to see that I do not work for or own Hot Rod. I am however currently racing a former Hot Rod Mag car the Bill Burke Avanti.

I was informed that I can post a reference to a link that contains the Golden Hawk test drive article but not the article itself. I was trying to make sure I didn't cause any problems for SDC. I have seen other web sites that have allowed people to post scans of other articles but I have also seen people say that's a no no.

As soon as my dad responds I will post the information about the 100 GH's. Already another member of SDC has contacted me to tell me he too once owned one of the belly pan equipped Hawks. More to come soon.
Dan

SilverHawkDan
03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
For those who are interested here is the link to the article previously mentioned.
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/dieselguy2006/Hot%20Rod%20Golden%20Hawk%20Article/
Sorry the pages are out of order in the album. Look for the page numbers at the bottom to follow the article.
Dan

Blue 15G
03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
I remember this article. It was reprinted in Turning Wheels a L O N G time ago. (70s? Don't know when exactly.) It was a very thorough report and , IIRC, they had a very favorable opinion of the car.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

SilverHawkDan
03-28-2012, 07:28 PM
OK, I heard from dad. The story is that in order to qualify for a record in the Factory Stock classification with the American Automobile Association in the fifties they required at least 100 units be built and sold. This was to prevent a manufacturer from submitting a one off factory race car. This rule is similiar to what we faced in the sixties with NHRA and NASCAR. They required 500 units built and sold. Since whoever was behind this effort at Studebaker felt the Golden Hawk could set a new record the project was given the go ahead. Since I still haven't talked to Andy Granatelli yet I don't know who came up with the idea of the belly pans. Probably someone with knowledge of what was happening at Bonneville. Belly pans were in use and were very effective on the roadsters at that time. The curious thing was the pans were only installed between the frame and the rocker panel. There was no pan that ran from frame to frame on the inside (middle of car) which was the common set up at the time. There were louvers that were located at the leading edge of the pans that faced forward (front of car) and another set that faced backward (rear of car) just before the rear wheel well opening. Since I spent a considerable amount ot time under dad's Hawk I can still remember the pans and louvers but I don't recall the number of louvers at either end. Seems like there were six or eight at each end. This was the set up used at Bonneville to set a new Factory Stock (Officially called Production Automobile) record of 147.???. I have a historian looking for the exact figures. The problem is that records for Bonneville have always been hand written and not very well preserved. But hopefully they can be found and photographed.

Dick Steinkamp
03-28-2012, 07:40 PM
The curious thing was the pans were only installed between the frame and the rocker panel.

This sounds like the torque boxes (hog troughs) that were standard on every K series Studebaker from 1953-1964.

SilverHawkDan
03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
The next question you might have is did they work? Since this was one of the first cars that I learned to drive in I can tell you that they did indeed work. Dad's Hawk would be like any other Hawk under about 80 mph. Over that you could feel that something was happening but the first time I experienced it I wasn't sure what was happening. I don't remember the exact speed but somewhere around 100 mph the car would bottom out. By that I mean the car would lower down until it rested on the rubber suspension bumpers. When the speeodmeter pegged at 160 (actual speed ?) the car was like a slot car. Very smooth and stabile even though it was on the rubber bumpers. When I got caught going over 130 mph in Pearblossom in 1969 by the CHP I had been over 100 quite a few times and had actually come to trust this car at those speeds. Unlike my 1959 Silver Hawk the Golden Hawk was a real thrill to drive at speed. On the other hand my Hawk got real light on steering and felt like it was floating over 100 mph.

Dad had the pleasure of meeting an Arizona Highway Patrol officer before I got my license and he must have been a Studbebaker guy as he asked dad to raise the hood and while looking under the hood made note of the serial number. He was not that surprised to see that the car was one of the 100 and even told my dad that he had a rare and special car he was driving. So as soon as I have more info I will post it. I do know that the serial numbers were reportedly consecutive and perhaps began around 300. I got an email from a fellow SDC member who had one of the 100 and his car was number 341. I have got to believe that there are more people out there who have inside knowledge of this project. Maybe they will share their knowledge with all of us here.
Dan

PackardV8
03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Dan,

Wow, that's some new news. Just now learning that S-P built 100 special 1957 Golden Hawks for a factory Bonneville effort which resulted in a 147 MPH record is quite interesting. What modifications, other than the partial belly pan, were done to give a 160 MPH top speed, what was the option code and what documentation do we have?

IIRC, Studebaker bought Paxton Products in 1962 and thus AFAIK, Granatelli became associated with Studebaker performance after that time.

jack vines

SilverHawkDan
03-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Jack,
My dad's GH was stock without a working Mc Cullough when he purchased it. He opted for a Paxton replacement but the stock carb and manifold wouldn't cut it. We never got to have the Hawk timed with the original engine. When the original engine got tired (pretty quickly with two teen sons) dad and I built a better engine. The 160 (remember that was speedometer speed which might not have been the real speed. In fact probably not) was obtained after the engine was replaced with a 300 with Jahns flat top pistons, Granatelli supplied cam and valve gear, ported heads, custom medium rise 4 barrel intake with AFB carb, dual point distributor and free flow 2" exhaust system. Trans was one that I built and it had the Jaguar convertor. Rear gears were 3.31. This was the sixth or seventh engine that I had built with dad and it was a real good runner. So it didn't have a option code.

As far as Andy is concerned he was very much connected with Studebaker long before Paxton was purchased. He was working at STP at the time the Paxton deal was cut. His Indy and dirt track involvement brought him in contact with Studebakers a lot. Google Andy and you can read about his early involvement with Studebaker. As soon as Andy gets back to me I will give his side of the story or he might like to tell it himself. I'll let you know.
Dan

hausdok
03-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Send Hot Rod magazine an email asking for permission to reprint the article on the SDC forum. I've asked the Journal of Light Construction for permission to reprint articles of theirs on my webzine occasionally and they've been very accommodating.

It's worth a shot; the worst they can do is say No.

03-29-2012, 07:46 AM
I liked the Honest Charley Speed Shop ad on the fifth picture- V-8 dual exhausts for $12.95.

mbstude
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Sounds like the same guys that engineered those 100 Hawks were the same ones that later did the 50 or so '59 Larks with 352 Packard engines. A guy popped up here on the forum a few years ago who's granddad had one of those.

I think I'm gonna need waders if I stay around here too much longer. :rolleyes:

BobPalma
03-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I think I'm gonna need waders if I stay around here too much longer. :rolleyes:

You don't already have some, Matt? BP

55studeman
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Matt, like the Studillac, I'm thinking there's leads on 2 future TW article for you to write in this post...and expand your Studilac blog to include these cars as well too.

PackardV8
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
He was working at STP at the time the Paxton deal was cut. Studebaker-Packard Corporation acquired STP in early 1961, as part of their retreat from automotive manufacturing and diversifying into other areas.Studebaker briefly tied STP into its advertising as an abbreviation for “Studebaker Tested Products”.

Later in 1961, S-P bought Paxton Products. Studebaker-Packard CEO Sherwood Egbert felt that STP could one day outpace its parent company and in 1963, recognizing Andy Granatelli's promotional genius, made him CEO of STP to help raise the product’s image. Granatelli became the public face of STP, often wearing a white suit emblazoned with the red oval “STP” logo to races, distributing thousands of all-weather STP stickers. Studebaker abandoned auto manufacturing in 1966 to become a closed investment company, STP sales continued to climb to the point where it was spun off Studebaker-Worthington Corporation’s balance sheet and into a publicly traded company in 1969.

Most of the printed history out there indicates it was S-P who put Andy into STP.

jack vines