'56 Transtar with strange rear wheelwells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Transtar with strange rear wheelwells

What is going on with the Bed of this truck?

It looks every bit original factory, in quite good shape inside the Bed, original looking paint and all and professionally done inner wheel wells, and really looks factory.

But as most of you know unlike other makes, no Studebaker Trucks had any intrusion in the beds allowing a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood to drop in.

Is this some special order Truck built like the famous Sand cars and Trucks for the Saudi Arabian Desert sand that had really big wheels and tires, or what?

It appears to be just a 1/2 Ton 8 ft. bed so not a 1 Ton or even a 3/4 Ton that could be converted to Dual wheels, just makes no sense!
    This is a lot better Truck me thinks, than it appears though, with spotty paint etc.

Last edited by StudeRich; 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Nicely done. Gotta genuine Transtar radio too!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I say someone reworked it after the fact.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Don't count out a dual rear wheel conversion.....
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Looks like the rear axle assembly might be out of something else, and is just a little narrow.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Would be intersting to see the build sheet for that one...
            That looks to perfect and planed out than to be somebodys back yard modifications. The paint is also even and appears to be old.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Wouldn't mind having that bed; those wheel tubs look very nicely done. I'm with DEEPNHOCK, I bet they were done to run duals.
              TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Nicely done a number of years back. I would think if the factory had intended such a mod the corners would have been more rounded, but a one off might have been done by an outside vendor. Might be for duals or for a narrower rear end. The build sheet would tell if it was factory authorized.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have a 51 1/2 ton with the same tubs. The truck has 56 or 57 doors and hood I am told...who knows what else has been changed. I will know more when I start restoration this fall.
                  Ray Stewart SDC
                  51 pick-up
                  57 silver hawk
                  62 lark

Comment

An early remodel work job would have likely been painted with the same type of paint as the factory, and would deteriorate at a similar rate, so it is hard to say if it was a factory installed option for some specific application, like a Saudi use, or if it were someones modification for their own needs.

Comment

It's missing the battery hold down, take a few bucks off for that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X