PDA

View Full Version : transmission

cove
03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I have a 49 pickup with the flathead 6 and a 3 speed transmission on the column.
I was wondering if there was an overdrive available or a 4 speed. also I was wondering
what kind of speed the flathead 6 gets , not looking to go fast but would like to keep up with traffic
it is a 170"

2R5
03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi , your truck would do much better in traffic if you could change over to a OD tranny . There is a fella who lives in the York PA area that rebuilds and sells transmissions , he usually has the correct tranny for your set up .

garyash
03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Here's a list of vendors who sell at York. Gerry Kurtz in Dover, PA is the guy who rebuilds transmissions and converts them to overdrive.
http://www.sdckeystoneregion.com/pdf/Vendor%20Specialities%20RevA.pdf

My M5 truck with overdrive will keep up with traffic at 60-65. It will go faster, but the suspension is really made for that.

TX Rebel
03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
I have a good used OD for 6 cyl truck
www.Studebakersite.com

Roscomacaw
03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
You will NOT like your truck without overdrive. The OD makes it roadable by today's standards. Even my V8 truck would be intolerable without the OD it has. A 4-speed as was available - is no better than a straight three speed. The only thing youi get with a 4-spd is a super-low "Granny Gear". That's not something that will enhance your driving experience.

Welcome
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I have a 49 pickup with the flathead 6 and a 3 speed transmission on the column.
I was wondering if there was an overdrive available or a 4 speed. also I was wondering
what kind of speed the flathead 6 gets , not looking to go fast but would like to keep up with traffic
it is a 170"

Sorry, can't respond to your specific speed concerns. However, IF ...you are thinking of installing a new 4 speed or O.D. transmission in your Stude truck, you may want to check with Studebaker International. Believe they have a good supply of Stude truck NOS transmissions.

Good Luck!!!:cool:

StudeRich
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
As yet no one has mentioned the REASON that these Trucks are only good for 45 MPH. That would be your 4.88? Ratio Rear Axle. Check your ratio Tag on the rear cover, and find out what you have.

The Overdrive will help a lot, but you may need something closer to 4.09 before it really starts to be able to "Cruise" the Highways and Interstates.

You do not want to go too High on the Ratio though, because the Truck Weight, Engine Size, Load? needs to be considered otherwise it would not have enough Power to use Overdrive in a 5 Mile per Hour wind or a 2% Grade, if you know what I mean.

eirenetheou
03-27-2012, 07:52 AM
The differential in a 1949 2R5 1/2-ton, with or without overdrive, is 4.82.

In a 2R10 3/4-ton pickup, the standard differential is 5.571. Studebaker offered an optional 4.857 rear-axle ratio for the 2R10, and i am looking for one of these. i have installed a "big block" Commander six (overbored to 254.9 cid) and overdrive, but i want to keep the 14-inch brakes on my truck, so a 4.857 gearset would enhance its utility. If anyone has these parts for sale or trade, i'd like to learn about them.

God's Peace to you.

d