PDA

View Full Version : Streamer tag mystery

Roscomacaw
03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Cleanin' up in the garage today. Got down to a benchtop I haven't seen in YEARS. Found things I'd forgot about, as usual. One of the things unearthed was/is a 65-66 body tag set - for a Cruiser (V-Y9) and number 7645. There's a streamer tag that reads: EXT TM What's dat??? External tire mount? Extra trim?
I might well remember this particular Cruiser. I remember one that was the color of these tags (medium metallic green) that I scored a bunch of neat trim off of. It had an AM-FM and flanged axle 44 rear. Of course, that was about 25 years ago, so I can't be certain at all.

8E45E
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
As per your request:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?22350-Tags-again&highlight=streamer

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?6412-Body-Tag-Question&highlight=streamer

Craig

Roscomacaw
03-25-2012, 09:51 PM
OK, obviously, I'd forgotten asking about this tag. BUT..... here's a tick to it. As I said, I think maybe I remember this particular car. And when I visualize it, it seems it had a vinyl roof. Reckon THAT would be considered extra trim?

8E45E
03-25-2012, 10:32 PM
All the vinyl roof-equipped Cruisers from late 1965 to '66 that I have seen with streamers read 'VIN ROOF' on them. But some could have read 'EXT TM', though I've never seen one.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7247/6870490282_104534a12f_b.jpg

Craig

(S)
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
It makes sense to me it may mean extra trim. In other words make sure it has the proper holes in the body for the extra trim a Cruiser would have before paint. Same goes with the interior-- they were a bit different. It may have been an 'early' one so the streamers were to keep the crew on thier toes.

Roscomacaw
03-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Well, as I said, this particular Cruiser was "loaded" - I remember marvelling at that. (This was in Los Angeles, BTW) When I found it, it had obviously just been set out for picking - there was nothing missing from it and I wondered WHY it was there. There was no damage or rust of anything to lend a clue as to why it was there. Of course, at that time (mid-to-late 80s) there were A LOT of cool cars in those yards that made you scratch your head. This Cruiser's paint was tired, but that couldn't have been the reason for it's doom. There WAS a '66 AMC Ambassador that I came across that was literally GLEAMING. I don't remember what it was in the glove box, but there was some info that allowed me to contact the last owner. I was interested in the engine and factory AC so I called and talked to the elderly owner. Turned out that nothing was wrong with the car when they let it go. The old fella had been deemed to be too old to drive, so the car sat in the garage until heirs came to "clean up". They - hot caring about dad's old clunker - simply responded to ther Pick-a-Part ads that were/are everywhere: WE PAY CASH FOR COMPLETE CARS!

BobPalma
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Well, as I said, this particular Cruiser was "loaded" - I remember marvelling at that. (This was in Los Angeles, BTW) When I found it, it had obviously just been set out for picking - there was nothing missing from it and I wondered WHY it was there. There was no damage or rust of anything to lend a clue as to why it was there. Of course, at that time (mid-to-late 80s) there were A LOT of cool cars in those yards that made you scratch your head. This Cruiser's paint was tired, but that couldn't have been the reason for it's doom. I don't remember what it was in the glove box, but there was some info that allowed me to contact the last owner. I was interested in the engine and factory AC so I called and talked to the elderly owner. Turned out that nothing was wrong with the car when they let it go. The old fella had been deemed to be too old to drive, so the car sat in the garage until heirs came to "clean up". They - not caring about dad's old clunker - simply responded to the Pick-a-Part ads that were/are everywhere: WE PAY CASH FOR COMPLETE CARS!

Unbelievable, Bob...yet sadly believable, too. And with today's prices fetching $500 a car for heavier ones....gulp.

Are they paying that much in California? Here in central Indiana, it's about $280 a ton. BP

Roscomacaw
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm not aware of what scrap's getting out here. We have one scrap operation here in Visalia, and I don't do business with them - no matter what. The guy that owns the place and I got into an argument over a 2R16 that I scavenged parts from. Whenever we cross paths, he defames my ancestors and I suggest he performs impossible intimate acts on himself.

It's really a shame that we don't have any competition to this operation locally (the next closest is 30 miles away, and I suspect, as cut-throat as the one I speak of. The closest one that has some competition is about 50 miles away. As a result, they pay better. The local rip-off artist knows he can pay less because the myriad minor scrappers that scour the countryside for old appliances and hot water heaters and the like, can't afford the extra gas for what would be a 100-mile round trip to get a better payoff.