PDA

View Full Version : SilverHawkDan's rig out and about

kurtruk
03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
This has become a regular sight for me on Wednesday mornings in Santa Maria.

SilverHawkDan
03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Kurt,
I guess my secret is out. I work there fixing and selling sewing machines to support my habit. So you drive from Fresno to Santa Maria every Wednesday? Later this year I will be driving from Santa Maria to Fresno to repair machines and of course visit my friend Eric. What brings you to Santa Maria every week?
Dan

kurtruk
03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Every Wednesday. And Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, too. Used to do Fridays too. But that was too much overtime. So now 4 Tens. With three-day weekends. Been doin' this route for about 14 years or so. Have lost track. Wholesale distribution. Leave from Fresno. First deliveries are in Paso Robles. Then Atascadero, SLO, Arroyo Grande, and on to Santa Maria.

showbizkid
03-26-2012, 08:12 AM
That's a pretty cool camper. What year is the chassis?

SilverHawkDan
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Clark,
The truck is a 1952. Bought new in '51 and shipped to Toole, Utah. Vista Leisure Coaches added 12" to the frame beHind the cab and 18" to the back of the frame. Unbolted the rear fenders and then cut the outer wall of the bed. Then they built the camper onto the bed. Delivered to the Fresno Stude dealer. Your looking at a 32,000 mile survivor. I'm the fifth owner. I upgraded the running gear to 1961 Stude. 289 with 3 speed with OD and Dana 60 axle. That gave me modern 8 lug wheels and modern tires. Since I use it to tow the Avanti and trailer I needed to be able to replace tires at a reasonable cost and with a ready available supply.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/dieselguy2006/DSCF4452.jpg
That picture was taken Saturday on Pismo Beach.
Dan

showbizkid
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Dan, that's pretty dang cool! It's neat that you were able to trace the history of the truck all the way back. I doubt highly that there are very many more like yours around!