Cancun Avantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancun Avantis

I see that someone has a 1964 Avanti for sale on eBay that they say was one of the cars belonging to Mike Kelly. He states that he got this Avanti and another Avanti from the Cancun Avanti Museum in 2011.
    I didn't know that anyone was able to get any of the Avantis out of the Cancun Avanti location. I would like to get one of the 2001-2007 model Avantis, even if it needed a little finishing up.
    Has anyone heard anything about Avantis coming out of the Cancun location?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Yes it is true. There was an article about this very subject in the Wall Street Journal.
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    I see that someone has a 1964 Avanti for sale on eBay that they say was one of the cars belonging to Mike Kelly. He states that he got this Avanti and another Avanti from the Cancun Avanti Museum in 2011.
    I didn't know that anyone was able to get any of the Avantis out of the Cancun Avanti location. I would like to get one of the 2001-2007 model Avantis, even if it needed a little finishing up.
    Has anyone heard anything about Avantis coming out of the Cancun location?

Comment

He won't give me the serial numbers....
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The "Chicago vernacular" for the two Avantis is that they "fell off the truck" or in this case, got lost in the Cancun factory. "Badda-bing".
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

" I know a guy what knows a guy "...

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            He won't give me the serial numbers....
            Bob, the serial number for the 1964 is R-4957B and listed on your website. The number is from a post on the AOAI Forum.
            Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Gary L - Any 2005 and up Avanti cannot I repeat cannot be legally imported into the US from Cancun. Long Story. That includes cars not completed. Just a heads up.

The 1963 and 1964 Avanti carried valid US titles and have no problem being imported into the US that would also apply to cars built in Villa Rica Georgia or other US built cars not exported to Cancun for completion and reimportation into the US such as any 2005,2006 & 2007.

I accepted delivery of the yellow 1963 Studebaker Avanti for Mike Kelly at a exotic dealer here in Clearwater Florida years ago. It left Clearwater for the port in Miami and was shipped to Cancun.

Spent a lot of time on this.
              John Hull

Comment

Speaking of Cancun...August 1st is Lorena and my 25th wedding anniversary. We just booked a week long Cancun all inclusive vacation. First time in 18 years we will go away all by ourselves. We have always taken our beautiful daughter everywhere with us since she was born. She is 18 now and likes her alone time, she we will finally go away without her.

Back to Cancun, is there a museum or a factory that was there I can visit? Some investigation ?

Comment

The last I've heard, the Cancun facility is locked up and the name gone. I have no idea what cars or materials may still be locked inside...lots of speculation but few confirmed facts.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Sounds like I need some recon....

Comment

One of our chapter members has a black 2007 Avanti which is registered here in California and driven VERY regularly. Anyone who attended our Winter Meet at the Petersen Museum on March 11th this year had an opportunity to see the car there.
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I saw that car Howard! Beautiful machine.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                          One of our chapter members has a black 2007 Avanti which is registered here in California and driven VERY regularly. Anyone who attended our Winter Meet at the Petersen Museum on March 11th this year had an opportunity to see the car there.
                          There are 2005-2007 Avantis that are in the USA legally. John was referring to cars that are still in Mexico and were not brought into the USA prior to the shutdown. Those were the cars that I was referring to.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I wonder if someone in the USA Federal Government should be informed that at least these two Avntis have escaped from the plant in Mexico. I thought that all of Kelly's assets were seized by the Government.

EDIT: I would be leary about purchasing either of these Avantis, or any other vehicles that have been removed from the Mexico location, for fear of them being repossesed by the US Government.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I wonder if someone in the USA Federal Government should be informed that at least these two Avntis have escaped from the plant in Mexico. I thought that all of Kelly's assets were seized by the Government.

EDIT: I would be leary about purchasing either of these Avantis, or any other vehicles that have been removed from the Mexico location, for fear of them being repossesed by the US Government.

These two cars were brought here legally by the company handling the liquidation for the U.S. government, with proceeds from the car's sales going into the trust fund to fund any restitution payments. The liquidation company is in the process of clearing up the status of the remaining cars in Cancun and they too will eventually be brought back to the U.S. for eventual sale.
                              It is unlikely that any of the partially assembled or unfinished 2006 or 2007 Avantis will be brought back to the U.S.
                              Lew Schucart
                              Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X