PDA

View Full Version : APRIL TURNING WHEELS has arrived!!!!

Welcome
03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
...any comments???:D

Bob Andrews
03-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Yes, why the announcement? I get one every monthhttp://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

Usually the only reason a TW thread is started is to set off a gripefest. Never saw the point in it.

woodysrods
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Just started reading my March issue!
Time is moving along far to fast!
Good Roads
Brian

52hawk
03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Matt's column is great! Imagine a kid bringing home a car that looks like that,and doesn't get any flack from his parents!

SN-60
03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Another excellent issue of 'Turning Wheels'....Love the detail in the 1936 Final Assembly Line photo!

Welcome
03-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Matt's column is great! Imagine a kid bringing home a car that looks like that,and doesn't get any flack from his parents!

As I was reading it I wondered if such articles might "inspire" other young'uns to latch onto a "parts car," strip it, selling what they can for what they can and invest that money into something better, maybe an entry level driver or some such thing.

mbstude
03-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Well, I don't live with my parents. But even still, that poor old car didn't come anywhere close to my house. The home owners assoc. (and the landlord) would've kicked me to the curb.

BobPalma
03-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Before anyone else points it out, there is an error in The April 2012 Co-Operator that will be addressed in the May Co-Operator.

To Wit: Later model SL Ross steering gears, as used in the Avanti and most (if not all) non-Larks after 1961, do not require the special Kendall C-999 or equivalent semi-fluid grease, as do the Models TA and TL gears used on most cars from 1960 on back.

Rather, Ross SL Steering Gears use SAE 90 GL-1 mineral oil lubricant.

The easiest way to tell the two steering gears apart is to note the number of bolts holding the side cover to the housing.

Older TL/TA Ross steering gears have FOUR bolts holding the cover in place:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF2853.jpg

Newer SL Ross steering gears have SIX bolts holding the cover in place:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF2854.jpg

"Larks" from 1961 to the end, except RHC, have the newer, better Saginaw steering gears that don't look anything like Ross units.

As I said, the correction has been noted and will be updated in the May 2012 Turning Wheels Co-Operator. BP

Bob Andrews
03-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Glad to see a positive TW thread for once!:) got mine earlier this week, hoping to look into it this week. I'm sure it'll be good like always.

BobGlasscock
03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Sorry Bob, but I got a gripe.

Hey Matthew, what the heck is your problem?! A whole, interesting TAILGATING article including NUMEROUS mentions of some 50 Champion, and NOT A SINGLE PICTURE! What is going on here?

Welcome
03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes, why the announcement? I get one every monthhttp://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

Usually the only reason a TW thread is started is to set off a gripefest. Never saw the point in it.

As the OP of this thread ...Bob Andrews, I would like to thank you for your vital feedback and assure you I will always be respectful of your opinion.

Giving feedback can be a touchy situation, often exacerbated by unreceptive and insensitive recipients. For maximum effectiveness, all feedback should be considered "constructive" instead of "critical." The ultimate goal of "CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK" (key words!) should always be to identify a mistake or undesirable action and to pave the way for a successful solution.

FWIW Dept.: Bob, apparently a group of people thought highly of my ability to be impartial and transcend biases in order to understand views of two or more parties on the same issue. Perhaps that "gift" is why I was sought after in my retirement years to return and take charge of the "Customer Satisfaction Initiative" program for a Division of General Motors.

SN-60
03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't remember the name of the author of this quote, but it goes something like this, and basically sums up this thread: "A critic is someone who knows how to get there, but can't drive the car!"

matt's mom
03-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I haven't read Matthew's article yet, but he's right; it wasn't him dragging "cars" home, it was my DAD. ;).

rockinhawk
03-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I haven't read Matthew's article yet, but he's right; it wasn't him dragging "cars" home, it was my DAD. ;).If you don't keep a close eye on him, he will still drag one home!

2R5
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
WOW ! TWs for April has arrived here in the frozen north and its not even the end of March .....this is great and who or what ever has caused this ...thank you very much !
Nice issue as well <g>

kmac530
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
{raising hand like I am in high school} NO gripe here!
I love all of the customized cars and trucks in the issue. Not to start another new discussion of building all original or to customize debate, but I strongly feel the future of all car hobbies is often rooted in customs. When people build customs and rods it makes alot of people LOOK. Once they look, they like, bonds are formed and loyalties develop. Often, THEN, as a person matures, they then want to build a nice OE car/truck.
Thanks for including some cool customs as well as some beautiful OE restorations.
Kelly

2moredoors
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
WOW ! TWs for April has arrived here in the frozen north and its not even the end of March .....this is great and who or what ever has caused this ...thank you very much !
Nice issue as well <g>
Just received my TW today and I agree "thanks" to whomever was responsible.

Dick Steinkamp
03-30-2012, 07:21 PM
THEN, as a person matures, they then want to build a nice OE car/truck.

As an old guy, I'd suggest the opposite. As a person matures, they see NO challenge in building another one exactly as the factory did and want to do something unique and personal with a car.

In any case, I completely agree. The future of the car hobby is with custom and modified cars.

Lenny R2
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Just received mw T.W. today didnt open it yet looking forward to reading it.

SN-60
03-31-2012, 03:07 PM
To: Dick Steinkamp,----I disagree with Your opinion that the future of the car hobby is in custom and or modified vehicles. I'm certainly not against someone wanting to express himself (herself) by customizing a car, but
there's no doubt in My mind that IN THE FUTURE most people will want to see, FOR EXAMPLE: What an original, supercharged, '58 Packard Hawk was all about, as opposed to a chopped roof, tubbed, BB Chevy example.
Know what I mean?

Dick Steinkamp
03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Maybe I hang with the "wrong" crowd ;), but I see more people attracted to a 32 Ford roadster hot rod than a stocker, modified 40 Chevy coupe than stock, chopped 50 Merc than stock, street rodded 57 Chev than stock, etc.

The custom and modified classes at a Studebaker International Meet are by far the largest classes on the show field.

The hot rod and custom market is huge. Dozens of publication, hundreds (thousands?) of vendors. At a typical GoodGuys or NSRA show there can be 4,000-10,000 cars and many more spectators.

There are certainly exceptions, and your example of a Packard Hawk is probably one of them.

Stockers are cool and I've built far more stockers than hot rods, but it is a very limited market (especially off brands like Studebakers). I doubt if that segment of the old car hobby is a growing one...but I certainly could be wrong. It's just my opinion.

Peanut
03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I think that there is a distinct likelihood that the vast majority of daily- or frequent-driver Studes are not 100% stock. Doesn't mean that they are all slammed on 20's with chopped tops and alligator-leather upholstery. But I still suspect that the concours stockers (much as I love 'em, too), lead much more sheltered lives. What say you?

SN-60
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Maybe it really just depends on the car-- ( rarity, type, condition, completeness), that Your starting with?

showbizkid
03-31-2012, 09:56 PM
The nice thing about our hobby is that there's fun to be found in stock AND rodded cars. What someone else likes may not be your taste, but fine - if everyone liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring. Lets be courteous about other folks' preferences.

Welcome
03-31-2012, 09:58 PM
The nice thing about our hobby is that there's fun to be found in stock AND rodded cars. What someone else likes may not be your taste, but fine - if everyone liked the same thing the world would be pretty boring. Lets be courteous about other folks' preferences.

Agree ...there is room for every interest in the SDC.

SN-60
04-01-2012, 01:29 AM
To: showbizkid and Welcome,------- Who wasn't being courteous?