Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Can I Trace the History of a Classic Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Trace the History of a Classic Vehicle?

I've tried several sites that allow you to trace the history of any vehicle via the VIN number, but none of these go back further than 1980, so in the case of a classic car/truck, that's no possible. I would really love to know about the past of my '61 Lark Cruiser-who owned it before me, where it was originally purchased, when the engine was rebuilt, etc. Are there any sites available for tracing the history of a pre-1980's car?

pitbulllady

Answer: Not really.
    Your local DMV may or may not be willing to help. Some states will provide a list of names and addresses of previous owners. Then of course, there's the build sheet available from the Studebaker Museum.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Answer: Not really.
      Your local DMV may or may not be willing to help. Some states will provide a list of names and addresses of previous owners. Then of course, there's the build sheet available from the Studebaker Museum.

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Ron Smith

Comment

Many states like Calif. still have the old paper records in the basement and will or (DID) search them for you for a fee. Of course you need a clue as to which states the car has been in to see if their Motor Vehicle Dept. can help.

Check for lube stickers or info written in the owners guide in the glove box if it's still there.

Also the production order from the Studebaker National Museum will tell you which State it originally went to.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Many states like Calif. still have the old paper records in the basement and will or (DID) search them for you for a fee. Of course you need a clue as to which states the car has been in to see if their Motor Vehicle Dept. can help.

Check for lube stickers or info written in the owners guide in the glove box if it's still there.

Also the production order from the Studebaker National Museum will tell you which State it originally went to.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lube stickers, interesting... Bess has one from Cleveland Ohio.

Lotsa Larks!
            Ron Smith
            Ron Smith

Comment

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Ron Smith

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

They lube cars in Cleveland? I thought they just squirted oil on the rust there...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

They lube cars in Cleveland? I thought they just squirted oil on the rust there...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Just for the fun of it when you have time to waste, enter the s/n into Google. Someone may have mentioned it somewhere along the line, like I have with my '64 GT.

Optomistic Karl

Comment

Just for the fun of it when you have time to waste, enter the s/n into Google. Someone may have mentioned it somewhere along the line, like I have with my '64 GT.

Optomistic Karl

Comment

With the new privacy rules, I suspect that the DMV's are restricting what information they are now providing. In my prior job I used to sue a number of people for money they owed and once I had my judgment I could go to DMV. For $5.00 they would give me a list with detailed information on every car the debtor owned (with lien data) so I could determine whether to have the sheriff sieze and sell it.

Comment

With the new privacy rules, I suspect that the DMV's are restricting what information they are now providing. In my prior job I used to sue a number of people for money they owed and once I had my judgment I could go to DMV. For $5.00 they would give me a list with detailed information on every car the debtor owned (with lien data) so I could determine whether to have the sheriff sieze and sell it.

Comment

Everything that I've found in or with the car seems to indicate that it has always been in Ohio, since leaving the factory. The AC was installed in 1998 in some town(I can't recall it at the moment, and the car won't fit inside where I have my computer)in Ohio, and I found a piece of a wooden yardstick in the trunk that has the names of some elevator business in Ohio, complete with a THREE-digit telephone number-not an extension, but the actual phone number! I'll try the Google thing, but I will probably only come up with the car's entry into the Cruiser Registry and maybe an old ad from the dealership I bought it from.

pitbulllady

Comment

Everything that I've found in or with the car seems to indicate that it has always been in Ohio, since leaving the factory. The AC was installed in 1998 in some town(I can't recall it at the moment, and the car won't fit inside where I have my computer)in Ohio, and I found a piece of a wooden yardstick in the trunk that has the names of some elevator business in Ohio, complete with a THREE-digit telephone number-not an extension, but the actual phone number! I'll try the Google thing, but I will probably only come up with the car's entry into the Cruiser Registry and maybe an old ad from the dealership I bought it from.

pitbulllady

Comment

Working...
                              X