Rear spring compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spring compatibility

Are the rear springs for 59-61 Station Wagon compatible with any year Larks?
    The part number is 1547535.

Thanks
    Paul

Compatible? That depends if you mean were they used on any other models, not at all likely.

Eash spring was rated by the weight of the car and it's intended load.

If you mean will they WORK on others, SURE probably most later Sedans could be fitted with them, just not Wagons.

UPDATE: OK, my curiousity got the best of me...I looked!

They were also used as the Std. Spring for the '61 Y1 Taxi
    and as the H.D. option on the '61 Cruiser. That's it, about what I thought, never used again.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-24-2012, 08:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Compatible? That depends if you mean were they used on any other models, not at all likely.

Eash spring was rated by the weight of the car and it's intended load.

If you mean will they WORK on others, SURE probably most later Sedans could be fitted with them, just not Wagons.

UPDATE: OK, my curiousity got the best of me...I looked!

They were also used as the Std. Spring for the '61 Y1 Taxi
      and as the H.D. option on the '61 Cruiser. That's it, about what I thought, never used again.
      Based on that info, I submit that SW springs would be an excellent replacement for Larks, since most are kinda mushy in the rear. Most Stude suspensions tend to be a bit on the mushy side, probably because they were set up for 1940-60s roads. I think all cars back then were mushy, just watch HIGHWAY PATROL, and Broderick Crawford's 57 Buick closely sometime, when its rolling or coming to a quick stop.

Comment

But that was your fathers Buick.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Based on that info, I submit that SW springs would be an excellent replacement for Larks, since most are kinda mushy in the rear. Most Stude suspensions tend to be a bit on the mushy side, probably because they were set up for 1940-60s roads. I think all cars back then were mushy, just watch HIGHWAY PATROL, and Broderick Crawford's 57 Buick closely sometime, when its rolling or coming to a quick stop.
          In all fairness: Crawford's Buick was not a police package car; just a retail model dolled up to look the part. Note by 1957 or so at least the CHP and LAPD specified certain features for their E Class and street patrol units i.e. much stiffer suspensions, bigger brakes and in the case of the Highway Patrol and Los Angeles' Freeway Interceptor division: high output engines capable of an honest 120+ MPH and able to cruise at those speeds for long periods of time.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
          X