EEK!! A Wasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EEK!! A Wasp

or maybe several wasps. I went to check on my Cruiser parts car today, before long I will be bringing it home to start disassembly. As I was looking inside I noticed a couple live wasps sitting on the front seat. I have noticed others getting active in the area as Spring comes on. I did not see a nest in the car. Any suggestions on how to fumigate without harming any of the interior?

Thanks

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Been there. We have a 1939 International farm truck out in the yard. Back in those days the gas tank was directly under the seat. Well, at some point somebody stole the gas cap and bees moved in. Going to have to take a plasma cutter and remove the top section of the tank to get rid of them.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

They gotta have oxygen, just like we do. Close everything but the front vent window on the pass side, and the rear vent on the drivers side - then flood the cabin with CO2 (or nitorgen) Once thoroughly flooded, push the vents shut and leave them to croak.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tell them you are Catholic....W-hite A-nglo S-axson P-rotestants will leave usually....

jk...Fly swatter?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          Tell them you are Catholic....W-hite A-nglo S-axson P-rotestants will leave usually....

jk...Fly swatter?
          the nest should not be very big most around 4" around and only have about 10-12 workers, just put on a glove find the nest and grab it in your hand and pull it out and crush them when doing so, works every time, no big deal.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Is it becoming mandatory to use the 'EEK' preface for new posts that involve critters????
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

LOL! Yeah, when Bob P. isn't hand-crushing wasp nests, he's bare-handidly wrangling Diamondback rattlers and deftly plucking Black Widow spiders from their webs.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                the nest should not be very big most around 4" around and only have about 10-12 workers, just put on a glove find the nest and grab it in your hand and pull it out and crush them when doing so, works every time, no big deal.
                Wow!! Either you California folks are tougher than we Michiganders or your wasps are slower because reaching for a nest in warm weather here kinda pisses them off and they get slightly defensive.

I will agree that if you can see the nest and the nights get cold that the grab option might work as they come back at night and calm down some. Personally, if I could see the nest, I wait till about dark and hose it down with wasp spray. A little goes a long way.

If you don't want to spray they sell a cheap plastic jar that holds sugar water, I think, that attracts them and they can't get out. That may work.

I have a lot of them here in the woods where I live both in the ground, Sandy soil, and in the air. The spray works great but I've had nests to deal with that were larger than a basket ball.

One last thought, If one of them nails you as I get hit once in a while, EEK!! is not the first thing you'll say.

Good luck, Bob
                Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-23-2012, 07:56 AM.

Comment

All of which makes me wonder what home remedies folks use to treat a sting. The commercial "Sting Kill" types seem to work well but when I don't have one I use MSG which used to be called meat tenderizer. Works for me.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try to see where the nest is next time I am out there. Maybe Bob's suggestion will work at night if I armor myself with heavy clothes. I am hoping to avoid getting any spray on the nice dash or other interior parts if I can. Not sure if it stains or not. As for remedies, back when I was a smoker I know wet tobacco from a cigarette placed on the sting would seem to suck the poison out. I will remember the meat tenderizer for the future, but hopefully won't need it.

Pat
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

ONE STING from a wasp or hornet - not bees - and I'm in the hospital. I have great respect for these lethal bugs - of course, with a dash of bravado and a whole lotta wet, MSG-infused tobacco, your results may vary. LOL!

BTW, it's Yellow Jackets that are suckers for sugar-water. Nothing else other'n hummingbirds.

Comment

Dude.....like those California wasps are like laid back man.....
                        Last edited by bezhawk; 03-25-2012, 12:05 PM.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ours are real laid back here in Canada from November to April.
                          Almost dormant...and real easy to work around or kill.
                          Not so much once it gets hot, they seem to be seeking revenge????
                          Good Roads
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Gee, when you said Wasp, I thought you meant Hudson Wasp. (just a little humor, very little)
                            Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Go to the store buy one of those spray bug bombs may not say for wasps but it will kill them close up best as you can set spray and let it do its thing! doesnt stain furniture so wont hurt anything!

Comment

Working...
                              X