Caution: 'Looks like TW Editor Brian Curtis got hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution: 'Looks like TW Editor Brian Curtis got hacked

Be on the lookout for an e-mail allegedly from our Turning Wheels Custom & Modified Editor Brian Curtis.

It looks like his e-mail address is being used nefariously:

I just got one of those goofy "I'm stranded in Spain and need XXX Euros ASAP to get out of this hotel because everything has been stolen and they've captured my passport" e-mails.

Unless you're expecting something from Brian, I'd ignore/delete anything "from" him for awhile, or until he posts to the contrary.

(Phooey, 'hate it when that happens to anybody, especially as nice a guy as Brian. When our e-mail addys are necessarily in public places, it's bound to happen every so often.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for the warning, BP!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
      Thanks for the warning, BP!
      Ditto ....but has anyone notified BRIAN CURTIS about this ...or will he be the last to know????

Comment

Yes, I alerted Brian to this in a PM before posting the warning here. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have gotten this same email from other SDC folks over the last year or so. I always inform them so they can be aware of it.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Well!! He's not getting any money from me. Our golf league secretary still owes me $2300 for bailing him out of a similar situation.

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob

Bob

Comment

Help! I am stranded in Hawaii and need $2000USD ASAP to pay off the bar tender and hula girls or they will throw me into the ocean!

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                Help! I am stranded in Hawaii and need $2000USD ASAP to pay off the bar tender and hula girls or they will throw me into the ocean!
                Uh...you can swim, Ed; right? BP

Comment

I guess I am on Brian Curtis's e-mail address list too, as I received the same, with bad grammar, e-mail this am.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    When our e-mail addys are necessarily in public places, it's bound to happen every so often.
                    Limiting exposure of your email addy will help prevent you from RECEIVING spam, but most good email programs have spam filters that weed 95% of the spam out anyway.

To hack an email account (and the "contacts" data it contains) the hacker needs your email password. Here's some info on email hacking...

http://www.switched.com/2011/02/24/w...ccount-hacked/
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

BP, thanks for the heads-up. Most appreciated.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

We might have believed it if a SDC member wrote..."I'm stuck in South Bend...and I've spent all my money at S-I."
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

How do I get my money back? I guess I just wait for Brian to repay is new obligation, since I am a good guy I will not charge him interest. this is the 2nd one I have received about people that have my e-mail address.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

I got one too, right into the "delete" bin, it went. Obviously not from Brian. Glad to hear he has been notified.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                              I got one too, right into the "delete" bin, it went. Obviously not from Brian. Glad to hear he has been notified.
                              I got one today also. My anti virus moved it straight to my spam account. Love Norton Anti Virus.

Comment

Working...
                              X