PDA

View Full Version : Caution: 'Looks like TW Editor Brian Curtis got hacked

BobPalma
03-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Be on the lookout for an e-mail allegedly from our Turning Wheels Custom & Modified Editor Brian Curtis.

It looks like his e-mail address is being used nefariously:

I just got one of those goofy "I'm stranded in Spain and need XXX Euros ASAP to get out of this hotel because everything has been stolen and they've captured my passport" e-mails.

Unless you're expecting something from Brian, I'd ignore/delete anything "from" him for awhile, or until he posts to the contrary.

(Phooey, 'hate it when that happens to anybody, especially as nice a guy as Brian. When our e-mail addys are necessarily in public places, it's bound to happen every so often.) BP

FlatheadGeo
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the warning, BP!

Welcome
03-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the warning, BP!

Ditto ....but has anyone notified BRIAN CURTIS about this ...or will he be the last to know????;)

BobPalma
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Yes, I alerted Brian to this in a PM before posting the warning here. BP

JRoberts
03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
I have gotten this same email from other SDC folks over the last year or so. I always inform them so they can be aware of it.

sweetolbob
03-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Well!! He's not getting any money from me. Our golf league secretary still owes me $2300 for bailing him out of a similar situation.;):D

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob

Bob

63 R2 Hawk
03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Help! I am stranded in Hawaii and need $2000USD ASAP to pay off the bar tender and hula girls or they will throw me into the ocean!

BobPalma
03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Help! I am stranded in Hawaii and need $2000USD ASAP to pay off the bar tender and hula girls or they will throw me into the ocean!

Uh...you can swim, Ed; right? BP

41 Frank
03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I guess I am on Brian Curtis's e-mail address list too, as I received the same, with bad grammar, e-mail this am.

Dick Steinkamp
03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
When our e-mail addys are necessarily in public places, it's bound to happen every so often.

Limiting exposure of your email addy will help prevent you from RECEIVING spam, but most good email programs have spam filters that weed 95% of the spam out anyway.

To hack an email account (and the "contacts" data it contains) the hacker needs your email password. Here's some info on email hacking...

http://www.switched.com/2011/02/24/what-to-do-email-account-hacked/

raprice
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
BP, thanks for the heads-up. Most appreciated.
Rog

JBOYLE
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
We might have believed it if a SDC member wrote..."I'm stuck in South Bend...and I've spent all my money at S-I."

candbstudebakers
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
How do I get my money back? I guess I just wait for Brian to repay is new obligation, since I am a good guy I will not charge him interest. this is the 2nd one I have received about people that have my e-mail address.

gordr
03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I got one too, right into the "delete" bin, it went. Obviously not from Brian. Glad to hear he has been notified.

gs-xnr
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
I got one too, right into the "delete" bin, it went. Obviously not from Brian. Glad to hear he has been notified.
I got one today also. My anti virus moved it straight to my spam account. Love Norton Anti Virus.

dnevin
03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Just a note: Brian's e-mail might not be hacked. It is easy enough to spoof an address. I received one also, and I know that I have never been in e-mail contact with Brian before this. Not meaning to cause alarm, but it is possible that the e-mail addresses were harvested from either SDC or the forum and that Brian was chosen as a likely person to send the e-mail.

1962larksedan
03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
We might have believed it if a SDC member wrote..."I'm stuck in South Bend...and I've spent all my money at S-I."

No joke there ROFLMAO! :p

BobPalma
03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Just a note: Brian's e-mail might not be hacked. It is easy enough to spoof an address. I received one also, and I know that I have never been in e-mail contact with Brian before this. Not meaning to cause alarm, but it is possible that the e-mail addresses were harvested from either SDC or the forum and that Brian was chosen as a likely person to send the e-mail.

Good insight, Dave; thanks. Perhaps no one did get into Brian's list of contacts, since you weren't in them. Everybody else I know would have been in Brian's list of contacts. BP

JimK
03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
It's likely some third party had their email hacked and Mr. Curtis' address was among those in the victim's contact list. It pays to have a strong password; something other than "12345" or "password".

parts
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Ok..now JIM..how did you know my password...!!

Dam..now I have to go change all my email and banking passwords.. :)

StudeRich
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Brian told me this afternoon that he was definately hacked. His yahoo account is locked to him, probably not to the hacker who got his password and changed it, to get all of your money paypal'ed to help "him" 'get home from Spain!' Yahoo is on it, but down for now. :(