Dealership sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealership sign

I am looking for an old dealership sign to hang on my new building. I am thinking of building one from scratch but would sure like to find an original. Anyone Click image for larger version

Name:	2-5-12 014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1734888out there with something for sale?

Originally posted by oltrknut View Post
    I am looking for an old dealership sign to hang on my new building. I am thinking of building one from scratch but would sure like to find an original. Anyone [ATTACH=CONFIG]14421[/ATTACH]out there with something for sale?
    Unfortunately I do not have a sign for you.... where is Davenport? I see a heard of Studes on that carrier that I want to check out!
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I've got no signs to part with either,I do have a big old round one that sat leaning on the side of the garage for 30+ years that is missing about 2 inches where it sat on the ground.When I got it the Studebaker guys and sign collectors didn't want it because it was considered rough.That was about 1980.Different story now.The local Studebaker garage that my grandfather sold for had a neon highlighted sign on the roof.Anybody in the seacoast area of N.H.would know Colcords Garage.The old man,Doc,ran it until Studebakers ran out,then his son,Sonny,ran it as a repair garage.I bet he had thousands of people asking about that sign.It wasn't for sale.All my life I heard grumbling about how he wouldn't sell that sign,just because others wanted it and he wanted to rub it in their faces.I never got that impression from him.What I got was it was his dads sign,it was his sign,and he liked it on the roof of his garage as much as the next guy would.The garage burned in the early 80's,so there went the sign and a 27000 mile Hawk sitting in the window.The Hawk was a low miler but rusty,it's home had been on the beach.The sign was a greater loss.

Comment

I had a BIG sign "pushed" on me about '74 or so. I really didn't want the thing, but I had to make a stupid remark about how I thought it should be saved. Well, nothing would do but that I end up with it. When I protested that I didn't have a truck to haul it home (It was at least 12 feet long (maybe even 15 feet) - with STUDEBAKER in big block letters ) two guys delivered it to my driveway. I don't remember WHAT actually happened to it after I got it. Of course, in later years I'd have been ecstatic about it. But things don't always work out as far as good timing goes.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Call the American Pickers guys, they might be able to find one somewhere for you....but you will pay DEARLY for it. I am a CASO, I will be making a sign if I ever get a shop building built.

Comment

Here is a really nice one that ran on EBAY recently that did not meet reserve:

Comment

If you are like most of us you will have to settle for one of the reproduced ones.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Why not get one from the Neon Sign guy that used to try to sell them here with a new post every couple of weeks til we chased him off.

He has one very expensive original Neon sign from his Dad's Dealership and makes New copies of many Studebaker original type designs, really very cool. The repros are not as expensive as originals.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have one of the 42" round ones that is in excellent condition, but not for sale. It was given to my older bro, to give to me, back in the late 1980s, by the grandson of a former dealership owner in Leitchfield, KY. Looking at their prices now days, I am getting wary about keeping it mounted on the front of the garage.

Comment

Max Corkins has signs and banners for sale.
                    233 E 3rd St
                    Lewistown, PA 17044

717-248-8181

Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Not that it helps your search, but the ultimate would be something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeSign.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1672245
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That lark one is badass.
                        1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                          That lark one is badass.
                          It's double sided; the Hawk is on the flip.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

@Joe Hall.... Yes, especially if yours is the double sided porcelain one.... I cannot believe how much they sell for. I could buy a fully redone stude if I sold the one we have. It seems there are some collectors out there who can get (afford) any car they want, but those signs are even more rare.

Comment

The neon one that was on ebay is like the one that was on the roof of the garage here that burned,except for one thing.The one on the garage here looked to be one third of the size.I would have to guess at four feet long,but probably shorter.Remember,it's been 30 years or so since the place burned.My round sign is about five feet tall.It comes up to my chin so I called it five feet.It had a steel ring around it with hangers but it sat so long without being rolled the part of the ring that rested on the ground rotted away along with about two inches of the sign.I remember cutting my fingers on the shards of porcelain wiping the dirt off it.I have it in a shed right now,but it is against the wall with a couple of gas pumps,air meters,and a candy machine holding it up.I always planned on hanging it when the building is finished,or I put up another pole,but I might as well just hang it the building will never really be finished.

Comment

Working...
                              X