Kwitcherbitchen about parts prices! <GGG>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kwitcherbitchen about parts prices! <GGG>

'Just got the new Packard Club monthly "Turning Wheels" equivalent, The Cormorant News-Bulletin.

Here's the first five items in one vendor's list of parts for sale:

Standard Eight air filter, $400
    Aluminum gooseneck for filter, $175

Super Eight air filter, $400
    Aluminum gooseneck for filter, $200

Battery Box covers, $250

and later on....

New neoprene needle seat for Detroit Carburetor, $100

Gas caps 1927-1931, $100

Not everything is priced high: One line item with no make/year/model specified is simply, "Cigar Lighter w/ or w/o light, call for price!"

<GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Just got the new Packard Club monthly "Turning Wheels" equivalent, The Cormorant News-Bulletin.

Here's the first five items in one vendor's list of parts for sale:

Standard Eight air filter, $400
    Aluminum gooseneck for filter, $175

Super Eight air filter, $400
    Aluminum gooseneck for filter, $200

Battery Box covers, $250

and later on....

New neoprene needle seat for Detroit Carburetor, $100

Gas caps 1927-1931, $100

Not everything is priced high: One line item with no make/year/model specified is simply, "Cigar Lighter w/ or w/o light, call for price!"

<GGG> BP

Point well-taken, Bob.

I had an old friend who loved Packards, primarily V8 models. I think they're nice cars, too, but he never missed an opportunity to rib me about low Stude selling prices. I think he'd be eating those words now. Even Packardbakers often sell on eBay for prices exceeding 'real' '50's Packards, condition-for-condition and bodystyle-for-bodystyle--excluding Caribbeans and Four-Hundreds and perhaps Patricians.

AND...their parts prices are higher than most Stude parts!!!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

If you think Studebaker parts prices are high, just compare them to your late model brand X vehicle. I just replaced the front wheel bearings in my GMC 2500HD, parts alone (sealed bearing/hub assy) were over $200 USD, dealer wanted $550 per side to do them for me, I did them myself. I bought a pair of new tail light lenses for my Hawk a while back for $36, a tail light for my wife's Honda Civic would cost well over $100 for one. I repaired the heater valve on my Hawk for $12 in parts and $16 for new coolant and hoses. The average person can't even find these parts on a new car, let alone fix them and I'm certain it wouldn't be cheap. I completely rebuilt my rear brakes, including one NOS finned drum, for $180. I am currently replacing my king pin bushings, all bushings and seals will set me back $117 USD, try doing the equivalent task on your Toyota. A lady rear ended my Hawk last year, I fixed everything, including a nice newly replated bumper for about $800, spent the rest of the insurance check on frivelous Hawk toys. Does this qualify me to be accepted into the CASO brotherhood?

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
        Does this qualify me to be accepted into the CASO brotherhood?
        You're in Ed!

I think one reason that many hobbyists are attracted to Studebakers is that they are relatively reasonable when compared to other collector cars...both initial purchase and parts. (The same with Ramblers, Corvairs, and a few others.) Someone restoring a vintage Packard has a different frame of mind (and probably a different size check book ) than a Studebaker owner.

Because of that, you probably won't find vintage Packard owners complaining about $400 air filters and $100 gas caps, but run a price approaching those past a Studebaker owner and they'll fall into a dead faint.

Two different hobbies for two different types of "car guys".
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Related story,
          I had planned when I bought my C-cab to yank the 232 V8 and put in a Cheby, BF 6 for its affordability, reliability, and cool sound with glasspacks, and parts availability.
          I was surprised to find out that all of those benefits were available in my Stude. People like Bob K and Rich and a few others talked me into keeping it all Stude, albeit not the OE FH Champ 6, and I was surprised at how afforable the parts in general are and how available they are. I have really have little to no problem. Brakes shoes for my 2R10 have been impossible, and maybe a few other bits specific to the 3/4 ton, but overall I am not sure I could have purchased a core sbc and rebuilt that for anywhere near what I got my motor done for. BUT, that was partly because of generosity shown here on SDC....yet ANOTHER benefit of going Stude.

Comment

What year is your GMC? Wheel bearings are part of the 5 yr./100K powertrain warranty. Just talking around, it seems like a fair amount of people didn't know that.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Supply, demand, and rarity. When my pile gets low I raise the price. I am sure this Packard guy never started with a PILE of spare Packard parts!!

Comment

I just replaced some burned out bulbs in the instrument panel on my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Bulbs cost me less than 10 bucks, Dealer wanted $250 for labor. It did take me 2 hours but seriously... I know this isn't the parts cost , but I still felt like bitching.

Comment

Still, there must be some CAPOS in the Packard Club!

Comment

...."What year is your GMC? Wheel bearings are part of the 5 yr./100K powertrain warranty. Just talking around, it seems like a fair amount of people didn't know that."...

Mine is a 2004 LLY. Too late for warranty, although there are some items that may be covered under an extended plan. Yes, I did check to see if wheel bearings are covered, they're not. They are a sealed unit, you have to replace the entire hub assy and they seem to go out at about 70,000 miles.
                    Last edited by 63 R2 Hawk; 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM. Reason: Added OP quote....

Comment

A few years ago I got a new Chev door and it was only $1700.00 dollars for the shop, and we think our 40 year old NOS stock is high priced?
                      Evan Severson

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Here's the first five items in one vendor's list of parts for sale:<<<
                        <GGG> BP
                        I received a real-world education many years ago I'll never forget while running with the "REALLY BIG DOGS."

That lesson was; perception is EVERYTHING ...cost is SECONDARY!!!

Comment

With my household income, I'm darned lucky that my grandparents chose a '60 Lark, and then ended up giving it to my folks after they got married. That car started our entire family on Studebakers! Had they purchsed a Packard instead, I think the interest would have been tamped out by an inability to afford the hobby.
                          ~Matt Connor
                          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Working...
                          X