No announcement yet.

Hot rods & brakes supplier feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hot rods & brakes supplier feedback?

I have removed my original question. All I wanted was information, not a debate.
    Last edited by gs-xnr; 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM.

I guess it was bound to happen eventually, someone bought a Set of Turner Brakes and copied them. Then as is usually the rule with a Johnny come lately, they cut the price to try to corner the market.

Well the quality and support of Turner Brake Products have stood for themselves for 30 years or more, so you have wonder about the quality and service of a copycat with a few weeks of Studebaker experience.

I Never heard of them.

You can be the first person to buy the first Disc. Brake conversion kit from a non-SDC Member!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      someone bought a Set of Turner Brakes and copied them.
      The caliper brackets don't look anything like Turners. I don't think they are are a copy of Turners.

There are also at least two other disc brake kits on the market for Studebakers.

If they are for your Avanti, I think I'd stick with the factory disc brake set up. They work well and all parts are available.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

While I can't comment on the quality of this new conversion kit as I've never heard of them, it's difficult to see how their quality can match Jim Turner's kit...nor his customer service before and after the sale.

It is good to have new sources and competition, but if this new kit maker wants some credibility, it would be to his credit if he joined the AOAI and SDC.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

We ordered some Turners and the master cyl got broken in shipping, I emailed him the problem on A Friday. Jim had one here on Monday before I could ship the bad one back. (its on the way Jim! )

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I guess it was bound to happen eventually, someone bought a Set of Turner Brakes and copied them. Then as is usually the rule with a Johnny come lately, they cut the price to try to corner the market.

Well the quality and support of Turner Brake Products have stood for themselves for 30 years or more, so you have wonder about the quality and service of a copycat with a few weeks of Studebaker experience.

I Never heard of them.

You can be the first person to buy the first Disc. Brake conversion kit from a non-SDC Member!
            So your answer to gs-xnr's question (Has anyone had experience with this kit?) is no, then??
            So you have no feedback other than to immediately call these guys out?
            '53 Commander
            Art Morrison chassis
            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

In all fairness,

I have no dog in this fight; but it looks like folks are acting like jealous friends of the popular girl in school circling the wagons to defend her 'cuz a new pretty girl has just begun attending the same school.

Just because you've never heard of them before doesn't mean they are johnny-come-latelys. They've been in business since 1988. I understand loyalty to brand, but managing to survive 24 yrs in the custom car parts fabricating business is no small feat; and if you've never used their product how can you say out of hand that it's not going to be as good as Turner's. For all anyone here knows, it might be as good or better than Turner's.

The OP asked an honest question of those who had experience with this guy's product and he ended up with a lot of uninformed and obviously biased opinion from folks with absolutely no experience with the product to base their opinion on.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                The OP asked an honest question of those who had experience with this guy's product and he ended up with a lot of uninformed and obviously biased opinion from folks with absolutely no experience with the product to base their opinion on.
                Yes, there is no need to circle the wagons around Mr. Turner. I am familiar with his product and reputation. Please forgive me for looking at possible alternatives.
                Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                  So your answer to gs-xnr's question (Has anyone had experience with this kit?) is no, then??
                  So you have no feedback other than to immediately call these guys out?
                  Absolutely! I do not see how ANYONE could have any first hand experience with these since it is unlikely that any SDC Members have ever bought one or maybe anyone else for that matter.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Please, someone till me how do I delete this thread.

Comment

MUCH like Ol Dave LeVesque's (spelling ?) kit, only actually with a heavier bracket..
                      I've got a set of Daves on my daily driver Lark.....with zero problems.

Nothing at all wrong with them or the way they work.

The calipers are just standard GM stuff, along with the custom spacers required.

While Turners caliper brackets will work and work fine.......there's NO reason for them to be built to stop a MAC (PeterBuilt, etc. !) truck. I sorta understand the liability thing, but to put that much weight on each spindle is a real workout for the spring, shocks, tires, a-arm bushings, cross pins, etc., etc., etc. ...
                      And yea...I had a brand new set.......sold them...built my own.
                      Plus as an working engineer, I do not like the bolt together bracket. No disrespect intended...just not a good idea in my book.

Mike

P.s. - Went back and looked at the prices...he's NOT undercutting "Dave's" old prices. Look simillar but with some yearly inflation, (to be expected..!)

Actually..they look MUCH nicer than Dave's old black smith built, looking brackets.
                      I'd not at all be afraid to use them. Hmm..I have another wagon on the way...good idea, will ahve to give them a call..
                      Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Free Market. And, nothing at all against this new-to-us vendor. Let me make a case: I buy my computers exclusively at Best Buy. I frequently see a little cheaper price for the same or similar/comparable units at Wal Mart, and several places online. But I willingly pay more to Best Buy. Why? The 'Geek Squad'. When I have a problem I don't have to sit on a tech line or write off to a website and wait and hope for an answer; I can physically take the computer into the store and have a tech walk me through the solution in person... in fluent English. That's well worth a bit extra at purchase to me.

As relates to this topic: hotrodsandbrakes.com may very well have a great product. Might prove to be a better deal than Turner. But two advantages with Turner: One, his systems have been tested, proven, and used specifically on Studebakers successfully for many years now, with who knows how many hundreds of kits currently in service. Two, if you do have a problem, you get the owner himself, who personally resolves it. Brakes are the only thing he sells; you get that focus as a bonus.

For my money, it's hard to imagine going elsewhere just because of those two factors. My analogy isn't perfect- computers aren't car parts- but brakes are a critical component, with life-threatening potential. Better to go with what's known to be proven, IMO.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

But two advantages with Turner: One, his systems have been tested, proven, and used specifically on Studebakers successfully for many years now,
                          True...so has the LeVesque kit...of which the kit in question (Hot Rods and Brakes) is a pretty direct copy.
                          Who was first on the market...the LeVesque or the Turner kits ?
                          There IS less to go wrong with this kit...less fasteners..to loosen, break..fall off..!

""Two, if you do have a problem, you get the owner himself, who personally resolves it.""

First..who says you won't get personal service from this new company...and second...I had a concern with my Turner kit that I "wasen't" helped with. Which is part of the reason I sold it. So it doesn't always help to talk to the owner..!

Not pushing this new kit...just stating simple facts..

Mike
                          Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                            True...so has the LeVesque kit...of which the kit in question (Hot Rods and Brakes) is a pretty direct copy.
                            Who was first on the market...the LeVesque or the Turner kits ?
                            There IS less to go wrong with this kit...less fasteners..to loosen, break..fall off..!

""Two, if you do have a problem, you get the owner himself, who personally resolves it.""

First..who says you won't get personal service from this new company...and second...I had a concern with my Turner kit that I "wasen't" helped with. Which is part of the reason I sold it. So it doesn't always help to talk to the owner..!

Not pushing this new kit...just stating simple facts..

Mike
                            I can only offer my own experience.

When I was new to Studes, I heard of LeVesque (Steeltech) before I heard of Turner. I tried contacting him several times; never once got an answer, or a return call, or an answer to e-mail, nothing. While I was waiting for the courtesy of a simple response, I made my first visit to Reedsville. There, in person, selling his kits, was Jim Turner. I stopped and talked to him, he had his products displayed, answered all my questions, and had the kits on hand. I walked away with what I needed, it worked great, and in the ensuing years I have gotten to know Jim personally and consider him a friend.

There are lots and lots of folks who have bought and are using Turner kits. If BondoBill sees this, he will relate his experience with Turner brakes; the synopsis is, he bought a kit, installed it, and couldn't get it working right. Jim personally tried to walk him through the diagnosis, but was not able to get it resolved. He ended up catching a flight to Bondo's city, where he personally resolved the problem. It turned out to be installation error, not a fault of the kit; Jim found it and remedied it in short order- in person. Who else does that??

There have been a number of posts here over the years about Steeltech- "does anyone know if he's still in business?" "how can I get ahold of them?" "does anyone know if Steeltech has a new e-mail that works?" That sort of thing. I've never heard any of that asked about Turner. Ever. This is not picking on anybody; I have no axe to grind. Just stating simple fact. Mike, I am sorry you didn't get your Turner 'concern' resolved. I feel bad for your incredibly bad luck, which it seems to be, because of the hundreds of Turner customers I've heard of, you are the only one whose 'concern' Jim hasn't calmed.

To the OP- the point of this discussion is to pass along information that might help your decision. I never said this new company wouldn't give personal service; again, I can only go by what I know, and that is that Jim Turner WILL give that (except for that one instance, I guess). And on that basis, I'm recommending Jim. Of course, in the end it's your money and your decision. Best of luck!

And, for the record- to this day, LeVesque has not once sent a return call or e-mail. Ever. That's OK, someone else did.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

So...we fighten for the last comment here, or what...?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X