Up, Up and Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up, Up and Away

A post of mine last week stated I had no luck giving a 50 4 door body away at scrap prices so today it went up up and away along with a floor rotted short bed, still more to go later .

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Sad that no one was able to take it off your hands. What else have you got going?
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Hafta wonder how excited that Champion's first owners were when they bought it. Sixty-two years later.....
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, thanks for all your efforts to get these saved. Must be everyone here was unable to save them, even though we'd have loved to. But, once you make the move to scrap them, why do you post here, knowing it hurts to see it? Is it to punish us?

It breaks my heart to see any car survive that long, only to end up being lost forever.

If your goal is to cause pain to old car lovers, it sure worked on me. I hope I never accidentally see that last picture again
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Since there are some who are emotionally disturbed by Bob's pictures of unwanted cars going to the crusher, we find it will be necessary to prohibit such pictures in the future.

Proud CASO

Comment

Bob offered that bed to me at a very reasonable price, but again it being on the opposite coast, shipping killed the deal.
            It breaks my heart to see it scrapped as well, but I guess we have to wake up and smell the coffee- WE CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL!
            I'm thankful that Bob has saved as much stuff from the crusher that he has.
            Jim
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
              Since there are some who are emotionally disturbed by Bob's pictures of unwanted cars going to the crusher, we find it will be necessary to prohibit such pictures in the future.

Proud CASO
              That's a good idea. I know you're trying to be [deleted], but you accidentally swerved into something.

There is a certain percentage of us who feel love for old cars, and hate when they're lost forever. Glad to see you're not one of them.

Last edited by showbizkid; 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM. Reason: personal disparagement
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                I'm thankful that Bob has saved as much stuff from the crusher that he has.
                Very well stated.

For those who were offended by it, Bob mentioned well in advance what would happen....and it did! Look at it as a wake-up call.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

For those who were offended by it, Bob mentioned well in advance what would happen....and it did! Look at it as a wake-up call.

Craig
                  You bet, Craig. When Bob first came and told us he was going to have to downsize in '08 and would be coming East, I tried really hard to sell stuff for him so it would be saved, and get into the hands that needed it. That was pretty successful. Since then, I have spent a lot of money and even more time trying to save these things from the crusher. I did a lot of research trying to figure out a rational way to buy all his stuff and have it shipped here to NY. I had a large warehouse building where I was going to try and store and inventory everything, and keep it safe for the future use of Stude lovers. When SASCO was going out I came close to hanging my a** on the line to engineer a purchase and move of all that inventory to a safe location and figuring out a way to develop a plan to organize and market it. Thank Heaven Ed Reynolds stepped up. I have a long history of pi**ing against the tide, running around the countryside with my tow dolly and sleeping in the van and brown bagging, just to drag home another low demand, low value old car that was doomed to the crusher, against all rational financial thinking. I know I can't save everything, or even most; but I've always given all I had to the hobby I love.

I completely understand Bob's dilemma; and I do not fault him for doing what he has to do. All I was saying was, I don't understand why the pictures and admonishments need to be posted. Wake-up call? I got one a long time ago as regards this stuff.

I wish I could have gone the 6,000 mile round trip to get that stuff from Bob. Fact is, I just could not. I guess that, and having to see a Studebaker grappled by a claw, is just a part of life.
                  Last edited by Bob Andrews; 03-19-2012, 04:05 PM.
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The response to this kind of surprises me. I see a stripped truck bed that we're told is rusted out and a shell of a body that most of the good bits have been pulled off of. If Bob is able to make a few bucks from those things for scrap--well good for him! I'm thinking he's still got a bunch of really good parts that some of us will want and that if a few less desirable things have to be recycled into dishwashers and lawnmowers than so be it.

Circle of life, would it were, in the old car trade. Here's hoping he bought low and sold high!
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I've owned 30 Studebakers in the last 10 years and Bob Peterson has parts in every one of them. In fact, several of the cars were purchased from Bob. Bob has done the same for many, many other Stude nuts. He has personally "saved" hundreds and hundreds of Studes and turned others that couldn't be saved into pieces that get or keep our Studes on the road.

There is a lot of TALK on this forum about "saving" Studebakers. "Someone should buy this one". "Someone needs to save this car". "It would be a crime if this car went to the crusher". "I wanted to save that car/those parts, but ______ (no room, no money, too far away, bad timing, wife wouldn't let me, I'm too old, it's too cold, I wish I could...fill in the blank), but SOMEBODY needs to do it". Bob does the opposite. He ACTS...and has for decades. Without people like Bob that put action ahead of words, we would not have a Studebaker hobby.

A picture posted of a Stude going to the crusher? Maybe it just might motivate someone to think about the future of the hobby rather than to just tell some one else that THEY should. Maybe not. In any case, its interesting reading (at least for me) about what someone that is truly interested in Studes is doing. It isn't talk. It is what is actually happening. I guarantee that taking that Stude to the crusher was painful for Bob...but a REAL part of the hobby (unfortunately).

Thanks, Bob Peterson, for all you have done for Studebakering.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ditto the kudos for all you've done, Bob; it was nice to finally meet you in Springfield and then at The Pure Stock Drags last year.

Anyone who's been reading between the lines of Bob's assorted posts of late knows he's getting squeezed by age and strength realities on one side and his landlord's -ahem- "permissible cubic-feet exterior occupancy" demands on the other.

Some things just have to go, sad though it may be.

It's understandable that those of us in rust-laden climates wince harder at this necessity. We rarely see "tubs" of any 20+ year old car, much less 50+ years, with so much of it intact.

Well, 'carry on, Bob; you'r work is much appreciated.

((Hmmmm....I think I'll sneak out west of Brownsburg to the little town of Pittsboro presently and photograph the enormous acreage devoted to holding scrap steel for processing in the large, new Steel Dynamics scrap-steel processing plant out there. 'Maybe we'll see the subject tub back in Indiana yet!) <GGG> BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Ditto the kudos for all you've done, Bob; it was nice to finally meet you in Springfield and then at The Pure Stock Drags last year.

Anyone who's been reading between the lines of Bob's assorted posts of late knows he's getting squeezed by age and strength realities on one side and his landlord's -ahem- "permissible cubic-feet exterior occupancy" demands on the other.

Some things just have to go, sad though it may be.

It's understandable that those of us in rust-laden climates wince harder at this necessity. We rarely see "tubs" of any 20+ year old car, much less 50+ years, with so much of it intact.

Well, 'carry on, Bob; your work is much appreciated.
                          I agree completely with all that. For the record, that's not my point.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post

Proud CASO
                            I'am thinking of using it for my signature picture, I see a lot of pictures here on the forum now and then that I don't like but keep it to my self, sure people can feel sad because something like this has to happen to one of our own but that is life in the big city, I have made many trip across the country to deliver large parts at only the cost of the parts if bought from me, I don't think any one else has done so to the amount that I have trying to get good parts into others hands, I am sorry if this or any other picture I post offends any one but life goes on. If the forum top brass want to remove any picture than I guess there is nothing I can do about it and won't get to upset either. as for other parts that will be going there still a lot but not sure what will be next, I do plan on sitting aside a lot of good sheet metal that still needs some repair, my plans are to take some if not all and have them blasted and repaired by my body man and then set a side for projects down the road but the prices then will not be "CASO" prices...bottom line everyone needs to do what he or she needs to do.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

I hear you, Bob, I know about the realities of life. I'm getting my property ready to sell, so most everything's got to go. I'm giving them a try on eBay, but if they don't go they'll have to head to the crusher like yours- including a few Studebakers. It's very hard for me, literally breaks my heart. Luckily for me, the scrap yard will send rollbacks to get them so I don't have to see them destroyed; it would really bother me. Kind of like sending a lovable old horse off to the glue factory... and I promise no one else will have to endure seeing it either.

I have no idea why you'd want to use an ugly picture like that in your sig with all the pretty cars you have, but to each his own I guess. Have at it.
                              Last edited by Bob Andrews; 03-20-2012, 04:03 AM. Reason: Typo
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X