Avanti 2826 made it home safe & sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti 2826 made it home safe & sound

I just finished a long road trip from Bellingham, WA to Salome,, AZ and back with my first Avanti. The history is a sad one. The owner and his brother started a complete frame off restoration about 17 years ago. Around 10 years ago the brother passed and the car sit at his widows for some time. The owner then picked up the car about 8 years ago and it has sat in his shop in Arizona since. He had a heart attack and couldn't do anything with the car so it sat under a car cover in the corner of his shop for 6 or 8 years?? Rebuilt engine & trans have never been run! I found it through Craigslist where he was advertising two Avanti's. A "project" (the one I bought) and another 63 Avanti with a 350 Chev engine. The car was sold new in California and spent it's life in CA and AZ. Gold/elk, auto, ps, pb, air, tinted & power winders and radio. I have registrations going back to 1979. Here are some pictures loaded up and leaving AZ and several more from yesterday and today. Harvey
    Attached Files

Your Avanti looks great. Hope that isn't duct tape on the paint. If so, get it off of there in a hurry but be very careful in the process at it will take the paint with it (spoken with experience)

Comment

Congrats, Harvey!!

Failed projects are probably the most frugal way to get into the hobby. Good score.

It looks and is equipped just like one I owned recently...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

On the duct tape, yes the "googone" came out right after I took these pictures. Dick, the cars are indentical down to the silent mufflers with the exception of TT on mine. Looking forward to having it ready for the Bellingham IDYSD.

Comment

Harvey

That is an excellent car to start with based on the pix you posted. All the tough and difficult issues seem to be in it's past. Get it on the road and drive the wheels off of it. You'll love it.

Nicely bought, Bob

Comment

Harvey Scores!! I'm jealous. That looks like a lot of the hard work is done. Get that Avanti back on the road!!
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I'm glad you had a safe trip.
              I love the Avanti Gold, a great period color.

I hope to seee you at a Avanti event one of these days.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Excellent, Harvey, and welcome to owning a Studebaker....you'll be selling the Buicks in no time! <GGG>

Seriously, 'looks well bought and the work to date very nice. Congrats. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

good looking project car, should be an easy build. Drive it with pride.

Comment

Another Stude in Bellingham! Do they just congregate up there?
                    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
                      Around 10 years ago the brother passed and the car sit at his widows for some time. The owner then picked up the car about 8 years ago and it has sat in his shop in Arizona since. He had a heart attack and couldn't do anything with the car
                      Be careful, this car has bad Juju.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
                        Looking forward to having it ready for the Bellingham IDYSD.
                        Good deal!!! That's gonna be a 'fun' event. See ya there!!!
                        (and most certainly before, too...)

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                        Another Stude in Bellingham! Do they just congregate up there?
                        We spent a ton of money trying to figure this one out...
                        The guys from WWU told us that in the Spring, the Sun's gravitational pull forces them up to the North. Without passports most Studes get stuck in Whatcom County. And if we get them titled quick enough they can't escape back to the South in the Fall or Winter.

That's what they said- honest!!!
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                          [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
                          We spent a ton of money trying to figure this one out...
                          The guys from WWU told us that in the Spring, the Sun's gravitational pull forces them up to the North. Without passports most Studes get stuck in Whatcom County. And if we get them titled quick enough they can't escape back to the South in the Fall or Winter.

That's what they said- honest!!!
                          For some strange reason, I want to believe you! lol
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Yes, there is some sort of strange vortex in Bellingham. However, one Avanti did just leave, so we were down one. I wanted to keep the inventory level up so I immediately went and bought the replacement! Tom, the car didn't kill the brother so I think I'll be okay. I hope I don't I have a "Christine" on my hands. LOL
                            Bob, I have actually sold my last Buick. I still have some work to do on it but it will be gone by the end of April. I'm looking forward to meeting the local Bellingham Studie clan.

Comment

Dick was this car built for MFG Prexy Morrison?
                              Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                              Congrats, Harvey!!

Failed projects are probably the most frugal way to get into the hobby. Good score.

It looks and is equipped just like one I owned recently...

Comment

Working...
                              X