PDA

View Full Version : Another 58 Packard wagon on Ebay

Daffy427
03-17-2012, 05:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170805291982&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Nicer than mine:cool:

Peanut
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I think I drooled a little on my keyboard looking at those pix...

raoul5788
03-17-2012, 06:05 PM
There seems to be more '58 Packard wagons left than '57s even though there were 869 57s compared to 159 for the 58s. I wonder what the real numbers are.

studegary
03-17-2012, 06:49 PM
What I also find to be strange is that Colin Fort (SDC Past-Presdient) lives in the same general area as this guy and also owns a 1958 Packard wagon.

Roscomacaw
03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Colin and this seller share the same half of this large state.

58PackardWagon
03-17-2012, 07:23 PM
When I saw the title of this post I was opening it with joy, hoping I would see one that was not one the registry. This one is on the registry. It made the list during the Sacramento Natl Meet.

Roscomacaw
03-17-2012, 07:57 PM
How many ARE on the registry now?

studegary
03-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Colin and this seller share the same half of this large state.

That is sort of what I meant. They are both in the southern half of CA, as opposed to another state or country. More than 1.25 percent of the 1958 Packard wagons produced are both in good shape and in the same part of the country. These are probably two out of maybe six very good ones and 20 total surviving (my guesstimates).
I have travelled around the Long Beach/LA and San Francisco/San Jose/Sacramento areas of California and understand the size of the state.

8E45E
03-17-2012, 08:57 PM
And was listed there after the Sacramento Natl Meet.

Yep, it was in this 'group shot' with the other '58 Packard body styles:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2361/2185838581_bb233c961d_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2192/2182180171_47864a95db_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2200/2182180937_daa9af9063_b.jpg

Craig

SN-60
03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
To: 8E45E,-------- Really like the 'group shot' photos!

Roscomacaw
03-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah - just close your eyes and picture those all lined up along the front of your local Packard dealer's place. Wonder if there were ANY strictly Packard dealerships left by '58? Nah!

BobPalma
03-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah - just close your eyes and picture those all lined up along the front of your local Packard dealer's place. Wonder if there were ANY strictly Packard dealerships left by '58? Nah!

Might have been, Bob, but it would be a stretch.

I did read once that when the 1960 Edsels were introduced, there were still three stand-alone Edsel dealerships in the country! BP

cruiser
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks a lot for submitting the group photos . Instant favourites !

I emailed the Seller , he tells me this Wagon is number 45 on the

inner firewall . Looks like an honest solid car to me . I might even

have a bid on this one if things don't go too crazy . A Great Car !!

CRUISER

58PackardWagon
03-18-2012, 11:08 AM
There are a total of 25 currently on the list. There are five in California.

wolfie
03-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I am surprised noone has hit the but now on this car. Steve

Roscomacaw
03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
If I'd won BIG - REALLY Big - a couple of weeks ago, it'd already be mine. But $11K was fun too! If I ever do score big (like multiple millions) I'll assemble the biggest collection of 50s Stu/Pack sedans and hire Matthew to be their full-time caretaker.

StudeDave57
03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
What I also find to be strange is that Colin Fort (SDC Past-Presdient) lives in the same general area as this guy and also owns a 1958 Packard wagon.
It's even more strange to know that before Colin bought his, a two-time past VP of his local SDC Chapter (San Diego County) picked up a '58 Packard sedan. And-- he's the THIRD owner named 'Dave' to own said sedan.
Also, believe it or not, that Packard shares a garage down there with a '58 President sedan... :rolleyes: :p
It's also waaaay closer to Colin then San Jose.

I am surprised noone has hit the but now on this car. Steve
I'm thinkin' that the BIN is too high. If it was closer to $10K, I'd bet it'd be long gone...

raoul5788
03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Dave, weren't you keeping a list of the '57 Packards?

StudeDave57
03-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Dave, weren't you keeping a list of the '57 Packards?
My '56-'58 Stude sedan/wagon Registry is sorta on the back burner for now,
but yes~ it includes '57 and '58 Packards.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

RadioRoy
03-18-2012, 04:23 PM
The auction says the car is in San Jose, which is in the San Francisco bay area. This is in the northern half of the state. Nowhere near southern California.

studegary
03-18-2012, 05:52 PM
The auction says the car is in San Jose, which is in the San Francisco bay area. This is in the northern half of the state. Nowhere near southern California.

You guys are correct. For some reason (reading too fast late at night?), I thought that the wagon was in San Diego, not San Jose.

58PackardWagon
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
In looking at the buy it now and selling prices on these over the last few years, the BIN is priced to sell. I am surprised it is not gone. These cars can get very expensive in the paint shop doing repair work on the front and rear fenders, not to mention the floor. We will have to see how high it goes.

mbstude
03-19-2012, 10:38 PM
In looking at the buy it now and selling prices on these over the last few years, the BIN is priced to sell. I am surprised it is not gone. These cars can get very expensive in the paint shop doing repair work on the front and rear fenders, not to mention the floor. We will have to see how high it goes.

That's what I thought, after looking at Jim Shoul's '58 Packard Wagon at York, priced at $35,000. It wasn't a perfect car, but pretty nice nonetheless. Next month, we'll see what a comparable Broadmoor wagon will do. I really don't expect anything near $10K, though.

raoul5788
03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
That's what I thought, after looking at Jim Shoul's '58 Packard Wagon at York, priced at $35,000. It wasn't a perfect car, but pretty nice nonetheless. Next month, we'll see what a comparable Broadmoor wagon will do. I really don't expect anything near $10K, though.

Jim's was pretty nice, but if it's worth 35k, mine's worth 50k (and it's not). I know they are different years, but still.....

candbstudebakers
03-20-2012, 12:33 AM

Matt so now you are a flipper ?

candbstudebakers
03-20-2012, 12:35 AM

Roy I think that this is the car Tom Shafer owns or did own?

cultural infidel
03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

so what is next on your horizon?

studegary
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Matt so now you are a flipper ?

If he was a true "flipper", he wouldn't have spent the money on stainless exhaust, springs, wheels and tires. He would have just cleaned it and got it running and then put it on eBay.

8E45E
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
If he was a true "flipper", he wouldn't have spent the money on stainless exhaust, springs, wheels and tires. He would have just cleaned it and got it running and then put it on eBay.

And he'd look like a dolphin! :D

Craig

mbstude
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Flipper? Not a chance. I might even lose money when I sell it. I "saved" the car from rotting under a tarp, got it drivable, and now it's time for something else.

No idea what the next car will be, but it'll likely be something built within the last 10 years. I'm really liking the Nissan 350Z's. I've never had a newer car.. Just various Studebakers and an old F150.

8E45E
03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
No idea what the next car will be, but it'll likely be something built within the last 10 years. I'm really liking the Nissan 350Z's.

Matt, I say 'Go for it!', but don't let your interest in Studebakers or SDC membership lapse. There are several on and off the Forum who also own non-Studebaker collector cars; even much newer ones.

Craig

mbstude
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Matt, I say 'Go for it!', but don't let your interest in Studebakers or SDC membership lapse.

Craig

Not a chance of that..!

Roscomacaw
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Well - whatever. No way you can fit much stainless trim in a 350Z

mbstude
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Well - whatever. No way you can fit much stainless trim in a 350Z

That's what the truck is for.

Who knows what I'll get. I'd like a modern car that's fun to drive. Right now I'm just looking at everything that's out there.

Corvanti
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
That's what the truck is for.

Who knows what I'll get. I'd like a modern car that's fun to drive. Right now I'm just looking at everything that's out there.

Matthew, i can't think of any car more "fun to drive" than my '40 was, or the avanti - that includes my corvettes.

watching folks trying to catch up to me on the road, just to give me a "thumbs up". or stopping at a gas station - mini mart and having to stay there for awhile to answer questions...

before you do anything, take a breath, re-read your threads about your "long roof" written prior to your "incident".

i'm pretty sure that many here have dumped cars in our youth (i did it quite a few times), because of something we had done to them that didn't quite work out as we expected. i wish i had them back!!!

just hoping you'll reconsider... :)

PlainBrownR2
03-21-2012, 01:28 AM
No idea what the next car will be, but it'll likely be something built within the last 10 years. I'm really liking the Nissan 350Z's. I've never had a newer car.. Just various Studebakers and an old F150.

Hey Matt, it sounds like you're in a similar situation as I am, we got a heavy dose of reality going on here. :) I'm in a similar situation where if I can get work in my field, and a bit of money, that I'm setting aside the Lark. The conditions have changed for me in that when I first got the car in high school, it was solid underneath, and fuel was a 1.10. Now, 11 years later, the body and frame are compromised, fuel is 4.29, and work prospects may require me to join the rest of the population to travel a good distance possibly into the city from our bedroom communities. I found this out when I went into Franklin Park from Aurora, and Crown Dundee from Aurora. Franklin Park is about 35 miles in one direction, so everyday it would be a 70 mile round trip commute to work. Dundee is a little less at 33 miles, so it would be about a 66 mile roundtrip commute to work. For most people here, they can do that every day with their eyes closed. With the Lark's R2 engine at 12-13 mpg, when life tells you to move onto bigger and better things, impractical and expensive to operate would best describe the car, since it would need to be gassed about every day or every other day at those distances. The car also has two leaking rims that need to be filled about every week or week and a half, thanks in part to some teengage carelessness of cleaning the rims at Farm and Fleet, and it has a slight leak in the front brake reservoir, and a leak in the radiator, which also requires consistent attention about every week. After awhile, this kind of maintenance gets real old, real quick, so a newer lower maintenance car is called for in these kinds of situations. Now don't mistake it for neglect, this vehicle was well maintained in all of this time, as it had to be, but sooner or later, salt will do its damage, so it's time for something a little more modern. In the meantime I have been using our '95 Crown Victoria to get around. It has its issues, but its body is in one piece, and gets 25 mpg and doesn't require as much to warm up the car and go. I've also found something else out with this vehicle, the parts on it are over 40 years old, and much of them are rare hard to find performance parts that require some large bills when they break, as well as the car would have to be sidelined until they come in, which in my line of work is really, really, unreliably, bad. So, it comes down to this: 800 dollars plus for rebuilding a 40 year old blower built on yesterday's technology with yesterday's engineering and tolerance practices and have it blow up on me again in 3 years(which it did), or 800 dollars on a replacement part for what may have been a defect or a loose connection to start with(which I can probably install myself) and I will probably never have to worry about again for the duration I own the vehicle. Well, I can see an easy winner here, lol......

I've always fancied myself in this regard for getting a little older BMW 3 or 5 series. One of the guys I knew had a M-B AMG CLK55(of course he wanted it after graduating school in computer science, and works at the university level in their Physics labs), and he loves the German engineering that went into that car. I like that kind of thinking, I like that kind of craftsmanship and eye for mechanical detail that results in very stout and reliable automobiles. :)

Daffy427
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Looks like it brought the 13.5.. That's good..Seeing the pictures has me tempted to go white with mine..

studegary
03-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Looks like it brought the 13.5.. That's good..Seeing the pictures has me tempted to go white with mine..

White and other light colors do not show off the trim and lines on Packard Hawks. I had a friend that restored his in (off) white. The car was nice, it won an SDC International First, but we just didn't think that the car looked as good as it could. He re-did the car in a dark red/maroon. The car looked much better. It won a Senior First then. The car has had two owners since then, but is still the dark color.

EDIT: Sorry, I got Hawk and wagon threads/topics mixed up. My opinion and example above still applies to any 1958 Packard.