This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire rear-end swap dana 44

Ok, here goes. I have a 64 Wagonaire that originally was a six cylinder with a three speed o/d trans.
    It now has a 259 V/8 from a 64 Cruiser with a three speed o/d trans.
    I'm upgrading the front end with new springs & Turner front disc brake kit.
    The rear still has the model 27 gear with 4:10 ratio. And the small brakes.
    I have a Dana 44 rear from a 56 Stude car. It has 3:31 gears in it.
    I was thinking 3:73 gears would be good for this swap. I won't be towing anything, just a daily driver and mostly highway driving.
    I'm open to hear others thoughts.. And if the gears for the Dana 44 are the same thru the years? I don't have parts book for 56 Studes.

George
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

373 gears are a vary good choice for o/d. I used it in a 60 conv. and it was a good all around gear. 331? Maybe if your a flat lander.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    42 Champ Coupe
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

373 gears are a vary good choice for o/d. I used it in a 60 conv. and it was a good all around gear. 331? Maybe if your a flat lander.
      Klif

55 Speedster
      42 Champ Coupe
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Orestudeguy

Ok, here goes. I have a 64 Wagonaire that originally was a six cylinder with a three speed o/d trans.
        I was thinking 3:73 gears would be good for this swap. I won't be towing anything, just a daily driver and mostly highway driving.
        I'm open to hear others thoughts.. And if the gears for the Dana 44 are the same thru the years? I don't have parts book for 56 Studes.
        George
        3.73 was the standard ratio for a V-8 with overdrive. My '64 Daytona Wagonaire 259 w/overdrive came with a 3.73. If your engine is from a '64 Cruiser it should be a 289 as they didn't offer the 259 in Cruisers. If it doesn't have a "P" prefix, it isn't the original Cruiser engine.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Orestudeguy

George
          3.73 was the standard ratio for a V-8 with overdrive. My '64 Daytona Wagonaire 259 w/overdrive came with a 3.73. If your engine is from a '64 Cruiser it should be a 289 as they didn't offer the 259 in Cruisers. If it doesn't have a "P" prefix, it isn't the original Cruiser engine.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I am new to this forum and I have a few questions I hope you guys could gelp me out with. My dad just picked up a 50 pickup shortbox and the major question is if we could swap the frame with an s10 frame and what kind of body/frame mods are we looking at. We plan on street rodding this truck a little bit with small block and maybe tubbing it. He was told you could use an s10 frame when he got it and he has been wanting me to find out for sure if the frame will work. I have a line on a 89 2wd s10 with a 355 already innstalled for a song. Anyway, any help you could give is appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• Swifster
              Swifster commented
              Editing a comment
              Get an issue of Street Roddermagazine or American Rodder. While this may not be a '32 Ford, the principle is the same. Most hot rod parts are generic and can be made to fit most anything. I've gotten a lot of ideas for my '64 Daytona while looking at magazines that cater to a different type of car (or truck).

I think many novice rodders look at clipping or substituting a frame without looking at what you have already and what can be done with it. Remember, the cab has to be attached to the (S-10) donor frame. So does the bed and front clip. I think it's easier to repair and modify the original frame while still mounting the body parts where the mounts are already set up.

I also think a car can be taken away from it's personality to the point that it just looks weird. My Daytona is a '60's car and looks that way. While I want a modern powertrain (supercharged 6.0L and 6-spd), I want the character of the car to stay the same, right down to the hurst shifter with basic white shifter knob.

Before turning a wrench, take the time to really plan out the car/truck. It will make the project move smoother and increase the chance of the car/truck turning out right. I waited two years before turning a wrench while planning what I wanted and how I'd go about doing it. So far, so good...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
              Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
              LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

• studegary
              studegary commented
              Editing a comment
              I know of '47 to '51 Studebaker cars that have been placed on S-10 frames, but I do not know of any Studebaker trucks placed on S-10 frames. I do know of Studebaker trucks that have been placed on full size Chevrolet/GMC truck frames. I have owned two modified Studebaker trucks, including one presently. The previous one has a Nova front clip and a 400 cubic inch Chevrolet engine and my present truck has a Trans Am front clip with a 350 ci Chevrolet engine. They both have TurboHydramatic ATs and Chevrolet rear ends. Both trucks appear stock from the outside except for tail lights and wheels/tires.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

• studegary
              studegary commented
              Editing a comment
              I know of '47 to '51 Studebaker cars that have been placed on S-10 frames, but I do not know of any Studebaker trucks placed on S-10 frames. I do know of Studebaker trucks that have been placed on full size Chevrolet/GMC truck frames. I have owned two modified Studebaker trucks, including one presently. The previous one has a Nova front clip and a 400 cubic inch Chevrolet engine and my present truck has a Trans Am front clip with a 350 ci Chevrolet engine. They both have TurboHydramatic ATs and Chevrolet rear ends. Both trucks appear stock from the outside except for tail lights and wheels/tires.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Does anyone have a really good condition trunk handle for my '51 Commander that they'd want to swap for a good 1950 trunk handle?

A friend from Missouri sent it to me and I can't use it. Still has the little glass piece too. Otherwise, I guess I'll stick it on eBay and use that money towards rechroming one I've got.

(I can email some pictures tonight if anyone is interested.)

Thanks,
            Eric

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

The Caddy is installed, starts with the key, good oil pressure, no water leaks and no Studebaker was harmed in the installation. I did have to space the radiator out a inch, remove the battery box and locate the battery forward and lower and will have to drill a few holes in the floor for the shifter, but no hacking required. I still need to install a rear X member for the transmission mount, make a exhaust system and install the shifter. With luck, I'll pull it out of the garage next week.
            Pix here:

JDP
            Arnold Md.
            Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
            64 Commander 2 dr.
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert
            63 Lark 2 door
            63 Lark 2 door #2
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Hawk
            59 3E truck
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

• JDP
              JDP commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries, I just have not taken any new pictures with the clean tires.

JDP
              Arnold Md.
              Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
              64 Commander 2 dr.
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
              63 Avanti R1
              63 Daytona convert
              63 Lark 2 door
              63 Lark 2 door #2
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Hawk
              59 3E truck
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander

• stude freak
              stude freak commented
              Editing a comment
              Way to go JDP! Is this the " Studillac "of the future? If so I want one. Great work .I bet the old "scottys" feeling his oats now.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

• stude freak
              stude freak commented
              Editing a comment
              Way to go JDP! Is this the " Studillac "of the future? If so I want one. Great work .I bet the old "scottys" feeling his oats now.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

I've had my electric wiper apart now two different times and can't seem to get it running. I don't think the motor is burnt out but don't know for sure. It is possible that the brushes are not making correct contact on the armature, but I don't know how to ensure the brushes are riding properly. I didn't see any holders for the brushes and I think something should be there to hold them tight to the armature. One of them doesn't seem to be spring loaded.
            Also, I have power on all three terminals of the switch, that doesn't sound right. It will come complete with the wiring in place, gasket, the switch and circuit breaker. It could be an easy fix for someone experienced in this area and has lots of patience. I have neither.

Would like to trade for a vacuum type wiper in good working order (part #293684) for anyone who has a spare kicking around and can help me out. I would be glad to shell out $60 additional for a working electric, but as I don't plan to be driving in the rain, the vacuum will do.

Thanks everyone for any help or ideas. Email for pics of the wiper setup.

Dave D.
            '51 4-dr Champion
            Smithers, B.C.
            Canada
            Dave D.
            '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
            '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

• Champion51
              Champion51 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, Bob, I know it's a step backwards, but I'm desperate. Can't find a Redmond electric anywhere. As far as I know, there has never been one on E-bay and none of the vendors have any. If you have one and are fairly certain it won't give me any grief for a few years, I'd be more than glad to take it off your hands. I'll await your response.

Dave D.
              '51 4-dr Champion
              Smithers, B.C.
              Canada

• mapman
              mapman commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I have a vacuum unit if you are going to need it.
              Rob

• mapman
              mapman commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I have a vacuum unit if you are going to need it.
              Rob

What seats have swaped out for a 62 hawk. Was it hard to do? Want to have headrest.

Comment

• skyway
              skyway commented
              Editing a comment
              Mid 60's Pontiac buckets are comfortable and install easily enough; the later ones were even highbacked. Alas, you're still left with trying to figure out how to match the rear seat.

• dallastx75208
              dallastx75208 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the high back. Would just have them recovered to match the rear seat. My seats are in perfect condition but I do want some safety in the car as a daily driver, that is why I am after the head rest.
              quote:Originally posted by skyway

Mid 60's Pontiac buckets are comfortable and install easily enough; the later ones were even highbacked. Alas, you're still left with trying to figure out how to match the rear seat.

• dallastx75208
              dallastx75208 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the high back. Would just have them recovered to match the rear seat. My seats are in perfect condition but I do want some safety in the car as a daily driver, that is why I am after the head rest.
              quote:Originally posted by skyway

I hope you guys don't start thinking I'm an attention whore but being new to Studebaker's I have a LOT of questions and when I get interested in something I dive in head first. This one is more of an opion request. I find the stock front seat in my '55 to be very "awkward" feeling and since I plan to spend a lot of time in it I'd like it to be more comfortable. My old work car just puked the torque converter so it is destined for the crusher. It is a 1990 Buick Regal Limited Coupe and it has a really sweet 6-way power 60/40 split bench with fully reclining backs and a fold down center armrest that just happens to be VERY similar in shape to the rear seat armrest in my '55 Commaner Regal Coupe. ( My "new" work car is a '96 Regal Gran Sport Sedan, anybody see a pattern here? ) It is also the exact same width. It has excellent lumbar and side support and is very comfy on long drives. If I ditched the headrests and had it upholstered to match my interior do you think it would look too out of place in a '55?

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

• Hippie
              Hippie commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm doin' it. Thanks all. [8D]

Analog man in a digital world.

• sbca96
              sbca96 commented
              Editing a comment
              I installed Porsche seats in my '60 Hawk years ago, that made SUCH a
              difference. The seats in my Avanti were killing my back in even the
              shortest trip, so I installed 1997 Camaro Z28 convertible seats. They
              are an almost perfect match. I was asked at a recent car show if they
              were expensive Recaros. I paid about $250 bucks for the front and the
              rear seats, though I only used the fronts. The stock Avanti sliders
              almost fit the Camaro seats perfectly. The convertible seats dont have
              the seat belt loop on the top outside of the seatback. They are SO
              much more comfortable, its not such a torture to drive!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

• sbca96
              sbca96 commented
              Editing a comment
              I installed Porsche seats in my '60 Hawk years ago, that made SUCH a
              difference. The seats in my Avanti were killing my back in even the
              shortest trip, so I installed 1997 Camaro Z28 convertible seats. They
              are an almost perfect match. I was asked at a recent car show if they
              were expensive Recaros. I paid about $250 bucks for the front and the
              rear seats, though I only used the fronts. The stock Avanti sliders
              almost fit the Camaro seats perfectly. The convertible seats dont have
              the seat belt loop on the top outside of the seatback. They are SO
              much more comfortable, its not such a torture to drive!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Hey guys, I have a 1951 starlight. It originally came with a 6 cylinder motor. I just purchase a 289 stude motor. It looks like I can set the 289 motor on the same motor mount fixture. Please advise if this will work. Anyone see any problems?

Comment

• royvaldez
              royvaldez commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello again, Just got back. I had to pick up another engine for my 49 stude truck. Anyway, thanks again. I think I have all the information to make my engine swap.

• PlainBrownR2
              PlainBrownR2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I want to add that this might also be a Ted Harbit question, although I think he was packin a Powershift. Dunno if he ever did a 4 spd or not, but its worth a shot as he had a V8 as well.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

• PlainBrownR2
              PlainBrownR2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I want to add that this might also be a Ted Harbit question, although I think he was packin a Powershift. Dunno if he ever did a 4 spd or not, but its worth a shot as he had a V8 as well.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

Well we have been playing musical engines. We bought a 62 289 awhile back. David just put new rings and bearings in it it was a standard bore. Well last night we took the 57 Silverhawk to Caseys Place. We drained the radiator inpreperation for today. David Bobby and I Proceed ed to take the engine out today. WEll we got the engine out switched the water pump, manifold carburator,engine mounts exhaust manifolds, air conditioning compressor altenater fuel pump, oil breather pipe onto the 62 engine. We then proceeded to reinstall the engine. We started at 9 am we were back home by 4 pm. We heard it run. Have to do some fine tuning tomorrow and put the hood back on.
            So Phase two is the Hawk engine goes in Gus the 58 Transtar. Thats next weekend. We pull Gus' engine and replace it with the Hawks.
            The following weekend we put the Chrome back on the Prez. Then all of them will be in the Xmas Parade. Boy do we have alot of work to do.

Mabel 1949 Champion
            1957 Silverhawk
            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            1955 President State
            Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

• Anne F. Goodman
              Anne F. Goodman commented
              Editing a comment
              Its just the angle of the picture. When I saw the picture I shot I went back over to the car and eyeballed it again and again. To make sure. I'm the one who put the belts on but that shot made me question myself. Doesn't hurt to recheck. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              Fresno,Ca

• mbstude
              mbstude commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow... [:0]

I'm sending you guys my Daytona.

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

• mbstude
              mbstude commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow... [:0]

I'm sending you guys my Daytona.

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Although not a Studebaker swap, this thread is one hell of a read for those that think engine swapping is a cake walk.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,439.30
            63 Lark 2 door
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

• PlainBrownR2
              PlainBrownR2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeahhhh back in Yahoo there were a few guys as innovative as this. I remember a couple where one plunked a 351 into a D-50. There had to be about three makes in that car as the pickup had ties to Dodge and Mitsubishi, and then the V8 was Ford. There was another where I think he had 1UZFE, or Toyota's V8, on the brain(good way of course) as he used the engine in a few places other than a Toyota. That brings up a couple other things, though

You guys don't think the V8 or the swap is limited to US shores do ya? [:P]
              Theres a seems to be a little more to a swap these days as the engine has to have an electronic brain associated with it or wired to the engine to run fuel, ignition, etc on the block. Principle is there, just a little more involved.....
              Gotta be careful with how these cars are perceived as even though many are quite small, they're dropping in high quality "big blocks"(compacts with engines about the size of our 259 or 289) with things like turbos and a few cases, superchargers into these cars. I gotta say though, with some of these guys it can be a case of not only frame rails, but also firewall, shock towers, how far you wanna cut out the Unibody before the car can be declared a lost cause, etc...

Old or new, nonetheless, yeah I can imagine it is no cake walk as it requires the engineering talent of the person performing the swap

• tstclr
              tstclr commented
              Editing a comment
              How about this one!

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

• tstclr
              tstclr commented
              Editing a comment
              How about this one!

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Anybody got a straight, rust free pair? Never too soon to start looking for the Unobtanium parts. [V]

Matthew Burnette
            Studebaker Disc Brake Evangelist

Comment

• redvoyager
              redvoyager commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the white/orange also.
              As for mine, I have to get a rear end narrowed so that I can change out the 5.88 rear with a more reasonable 3.56 and keep the original duallies.

Norm
              58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
              58 2 door wagon
              Davenport, Fl

• mbstude
              mbstude commented
              Editing a comment
              quote:Can you do a 56 with red on top gun barrel grey on bottom?
              Possibly... My granddad has a '56 1 ton. Not quite sure what the plans are for it.

The way it's looking right now, I will most likely fix the truck enough to drive it until I get around to redoing it right. (As in a primered hood and a white fiberglass grille, the rest of the paint will have to wait). I do need one of those straight bumpers, however.

Matthew Burnette

• bkz81
              bkz81 commented
              Editing a comment
              I would love to see that photo shop of the red and grey. I also wonder if anyone ever had one of these grills chromed along with the front bumper before the grill went to fiberglass, alot like chevys of the same timeframe
          Working...
          X