PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cathcart...

64V-K7
03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
...Is he still in business? I've tried all the emails addresses and his website has been pffliner for almost a year. If anyone is within close contact with him, can you verify he's physically ok, etc and find out what the story is?

thanks

Bish
03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I believe Bill has retired. A friend of mine has purchased much of his NOS, but is NOT doing the engine work/ speed part stuff.
Bish

raoul5788
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Bill is pretty much out of the engine business. He's not getting any younger, not that any of us are!

Warren Webb
03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I've heard the same thing but I didnt post it before I had a chance to call & make sure. Hopefully someone will pick up where Bill left off. He has been a standard bearer for the club & has made his own mark with Studebakers.

Effie
03-16-2012, 02:44 PM
fondly remember Bill's green Lark but haven't seen him in a number of years since I was away from the Stude world until recently. I'm retired also, and hope Bill is doing well.

SN-60
03-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Bill Cathcart is high on My 'Good Guy' list! In 1989 he saved My '55 President Speedster from a very uncertain fate. Re-selling the car to a member of the Ocean Bay Chapter of SDC, a Mr. MacDougall, who began the restoration,
I ended up with the car and completed it. (Are they ever really done?) But it was Bill that got the ball rolling! Hope He's doing well.

Chris Pile
03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Hope someome steps up to replace Bill.
Interest in Champion Sixes remains high - not just within the Studebaker community, but in the hot rodding community as well.
A brief stroll through the HAMB shows many folks looking for Champion parts - especially hop-up parts.

qsanford
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Hope he is doing well! I was able to purchase a complete NOS grille shell for my '55 Speedster from him at Reedsville back in 1989. Ahh, the good old days!

FlatheadGeo
03-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I agree with the Kudos for Bill also. In every encounter with him he has been both very knowledgeable and a gentleman! Happy Retirement!!!

garyash
03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I read all this, then picked up the phone and called Bill. He is doing OK, but says that at 75, he is slowing down. Bill's long-time friend Pete Fryer passed away a few months back, and Bill says that took the stuffing out of him. I guess we need to be sure to give Bill some injections of Studebaker energy and friendship. If you live near Bill and can either take him - or ride with him in one of his cars - to a meet, that would sure help. The occasional phone call or card to Bill, with pictures of Studebakers, would also be good.

woodysrods
03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I got into the Studebaker thing way too late. I don't know Bill. But have heard and read a lot about him.
Would love to have been into the Hot Rod end of Studebaker motors, even though I am not a gearhead.
Hopre to meet Bill some day, just for a chat.
Good Roads
Brian

garyash
03-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Here's a picture of Bill in his shop from a 2005 issue of Hemmings Classic Car.
http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/bill_cathcart_hemmings.jpg

studegary
03-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Bill is a good guy. I sold all of my NOS and gently used Studebaker parts to Bill when I last moved. Of course, this was temporary (for me). I have bought and sold other Studebaker parts and cars/trucks since then, but on a smaller scale.

dnevin
03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Bill a few months ago. He's a great guy and full of knowledge which he's very ready to share. Even though I picked up a 289 to put in my 53 champion, I still have plans to do a fun rebuild of the existing 6 once I get everything else back together and driving.

Does anyone know if there's still any copies of his little book on tuning the Stude 6 for performance? I'd love to get my hands on one.