PDA

View Full Version : Lady Studebaker Owners & SDC Members

Marie Mac
03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
May I inquire as to the number of Studebaker owners that are Ladies and are members of SDC?
Will you post and tell me about your cars?...I can't be the only one!...and how about Ladies that are 56J owners?
Thanks,
Marie

JoeHall
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
I met a good friend up in Louisville about 10 years ago who was an MD, and a 56J owner/driver. Our families are still friends, and touch base now and then. She sold the car about 4 years ago, but only because her kids were starting to grow too big to be comfortable in the back seat. She was late 20s back then, and I used to joke that she musta been a reincarnated Stude employee or something.

Chris Pile
03-15-2012, 08:35 PM
We have 2 couples in our chapter where the ladies are the true Stude lovers, and hubby is just along for the fun.
Of course, we also have some hardcore couples where both sexes are seriously into Studebakers and their history.

rockne10
03-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Just off the top of my head, we have many regular actives in our region. Lois has a '50 2R5 that shares garage space with her Lotus. Mary has a '40 Champion Opera, Jannis has gotten rid of several and now only has a '78 Avanti, Shirley has a '56 President; all single ladies! I'm sure there are others.

avanti1963
03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
My daughter, Dana, is 17 and in the process of buying a 1950 Studebaker Champion sedan and is a SDC member. She always wanted one after seeing pictures of my 1950 business coupe. We are going to attend the International Meet in South Bend this year, we can't wait! My wife is still waiting for the right Champ pickup to come along. David

jbwhttail
03-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Ask my wife who owns the 56J known as Ellenore........... she says half........both halves! LOL

mbstude
03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
My grandmother has a '63 Hawk and an '81 Avanti. There's a lady in the Florida Panhandle area with a '50 Champion and a '55 Speedster.

Welcome
03-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Marie, the owner of this 56J set the bar pretty high for you!!!:cool: Jean, the owner of this Ceramic Green/Snowcap White beauty, took top honors in her class at the 94 SDC IM.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/Jeans56J.jpg

Marie Mac
03-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the info...good to know--I was beginning to feel like the "lone lady"...

Marie Mac
03-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Marie, the owner of this 56J set the bar pretty high for you!!!:cool: Jean, the owner of this Ceramic Green/Snowcap White beauty, took top honors in her class at the ’94 SDC IM.

Great!!! What was her class? (I have lots of learning to do)

Orestudeguy
03-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi Marie,
My wife owns a 1951 Champion Starlight coupe.

Welcome
03-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Great!!! What was her class? (I have lots of learning to do)

I believe it was what currently is called "Division 4 1953-1961 Coupes & Hardtops."

Perhaps someone on this Forum with a copy of the TURNING WHEELS issue having the photos and winners names from the 1994 IM Concours could give you more details.

Good Luck!!!:cool:

8E45E
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
May I inquire as to the number of Studebaker owners that are Ladies and are members of SDC?

Iris Holst comes to mind, who was very active in the Dakotas region. Besides being the key player in the formation of the Dakotas Chapter in South Dakota in 1977, she also helped get the Roughrider Chapter in North Dakota underway, and assisted Bernie & Jack Harris in forming the Yellowstone Chapter in Eastern Montana. Unfortunately, she passed away in 1991, but left us a fine example of excellent organizational skills, and motivating others into getting active in SDC on a local level. I believe she was also a Regional Director and was also the Editor of SDHawk; the Dakotas Chapter newsletter. She is still missed!

Craig

okc63avanti
03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Craig,

I'm thinking this post can serve two purposes and solve young Matt's dilemma regarding his desire to own a Studebaker and yet be free from the financial burden that Studebaker ownership brings with it.

All single young wealthy heiresses who own a Studebaker responding to your poll Craig should be forwarded to Matt. :) :) :)

Welcome
03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Will you post and tell me about your cars?...I can't be the only one!...and how about Ladies that are 56J owners?
Thanks, Marie

Other Hawk Ladies include this one:

Jan has personally owned 3 Studebaker Hawks over the years; her very first car was a ’57 Silver Hawk, next was her ’59 Silver Hawk and the last was this red ’56 Sky Hawk. She has been a SDC Member for the past 19 years, was Co-chairperson for the last SDC Chapter hosted (2002) International Meet held in South Bend ...and is an often "vocal" member of this Forum!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/scan0003.jpg

candbstudebakers
03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Here in the Sequoia Chapter we have a few and 3 of them are quite will known in the Studebaker world, Dian Glew, Gay Wittenberg, Anita Migliore better known for her pink 58 wagon called "pinky" it has been in the winners circle for good guys outings many times surfboard and all. Our president is also a woman Erica Campisi, and one can not forget our past SDC president Mimi Halgren. our chapter have very good backing by the ladys even if they don't work on the cars.

Bob Andrews
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Let's not forget our most recent past SDC president, but I can't believe no one has mentioned our all-time most prolific Lady forum member, Anne Goodman! She and her family have several Studebakers, and they drive them daily. I'm sure at some point she'll see this and chime in :-)

VAG88
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
And,then there's,Ann Turner,ad editor for Turning Wheels. 64 Cruiser,daily driver. VAG88

studegary
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Marie, the owner of this 56J set the bar pretty high for you!!!:cool: Jean, the owner of this Ceramic Green/Snowcap White beauty, took top honors in her class at the 94 SDC IM.

That brings back memories of when I tow-bar'd that wreck from New Jersey to New York after torching the crushed nose off of it. I remember the original owner couple feeding me a bagel before I took off with the car. We put a used nose on the Hawk.
The next time that I saw that Hawk was at an SDC International where its taillights were getting switched for the correct sides.
Jean previously showed a nice 1953 Starliner that I provided parts and information for.

studegary
03-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Cathy and I both owned only Studebakers when we met. She says that is why she wanted to meet me. Cathy has been very active in SDC, drove Studebakers as her regular car for many years and probably knows more about postwar Studebaker history/models than most SDC members (both genders). It probably helps that we have owned more than 100 Studebakers.

Marie Mac
03-16-2012, 02:33 PM
How many do you both own now?

studegary
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
How many do you both own now?

It varies by the day/week. We no longer keep them for years. We also limit ourselves to one hobby car at a time and that sometimes turns into two when I win two auction bids that are running at the same time. To directly answer your question - zero Studebakers today, so far (the day isn't over). Not a Studebaker, but I would like to buy a 2001-2007 Avanti. I was the second highest bidder on one on eBay recently. In Studebakers, I try to get something different than what I have had before. That is getting hard to do as I limit myself to 1953-1964/1966. The last that I looked at a nice 1964 Cruiser at York, I thought, this is crazy, I have owned four of those.

Sdude
03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Read the story on Pages 20 & 21 of the March 2012Turning Wheels. That's our club vice-president Johna Pierce and her car.