PDA

View Full Version : 63 Wagonaire 4...slow progress

Dick Steinkamp
03-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been out of town for a couple of weeks and progress on the Wagonaire has been slow.

While in California, I did stop by Pat Drnec's place and picked up some parts. I gave Pat little notice that the carrier would be picking up the car when I bought it so some Wagonaire parts remained behind. Besides the parts, Pat bought lunch :D.

One of the items were these OEM seat back upper portions with the Lark emblem...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_0923.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_0924.jpg

Pretty nifty and an incentive to do a stock interior.

I also stopped by Bob Peterson's place for a visit with Bob and was able to knock several items off my shopping list. Thanks, Bob!

I was at Mike Galbeck's (Studebakers Northwest (http://www.studebakersnorthwest.com/)) yesterday for some more parts including wheel cylinder kits and seals. Thanks Mike.

I am in the process of rebuilding the rear brakes and servicing the rear wheel bearings.

I did throw a bumper on the back to get it off the shop floor (although I didn't get it very straight). It's a front, but looks pretty good on the back. I like how the Lark bumpers are in tight to the body. If this car was going to be a hot rod, I think I'd use a front bumper on the rear to eliminate the little guards and license lights...and use these...

http://macsautoparts.com/images/400/A13409MBLED_pJPG.JPG

License Mounting Bolts / Lights (http://macsautoparts.com/ford-falcon-mercury-comet-license-plate-mounting-bolts-white-led-bulbs-inside-chrome-housing-a13409mbled/camid/FAL/cp/A50H6Q8I1000035/)

I used them on my black '54 Starliner to eliminate the rear guard...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/S2D%204-06/a0b7-1.jpg

Anyway, here's the rear...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_0914.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_0921.jpg

showbizkid
03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Cool, Dick! I love those seat covers. I suppose those are not repro'd, right?

I've never been a fan of white for cars, but that wagon sure looks good.

Bullet
03-15-2012, 04:30 PM
I love Wagonaires and miss the one that I had last (late 65 Daytona) . I drool everytime I see pictures of yours.

Mark

StudeRich
03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
BEZ828 huh? Where is that BEZHawk guy? :D

Dick Steinkamp
03-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Cool, Dick! I love those seat covers. I suppose those are not repro'd, right?

I assume they are NOS since it would cost quite a bundle to set up to make those lark emblems, heat sealed pleats, and then only for bench seat cars. The rest of the seat coverings are fairly generic. There is some white heat sealed pleats, but those will have to be sewn if I go stock. Door panels are fair, but I'd like to find some better ones. I think fronts are the same as 4 door Larks, but I think the rears are wagon only since the arm rest is in a different place.

I was living in Tacoma, Washington in 1963. When those "WASH" plates came out there was quite the uproar. It seems like there was plenty of room to spell out WASHINGTON and abbreviated that way made some Washingtonians a little miffed.

pdrnec
03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Those came out of the stash of NOS interiors upstairs at Sasco 6 or 7 years ago - I dug through stuff for hours and came up with those two pieces.

JRoberts
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
I have taken all of the guards, including those with the license plate lights, off of the Cruiser's bumpers. I am going to use the lighted bolts like you have shown here. I have not put all of that together yet, but I suspect it will work out fine.

Bish
03-16-2012, 01:41 PM
I assume they are NOS since it would cost quite a bundle to set up to make those lark emblems, heat sealed pleats, and then only for bench seat cars. The rest of the seat coverings are fairly generic. There is some white heat sealed pleats, but those will have to be sewn if I go stock. Door panels are fair, but I'd like to find some better ones. I think fronts are the same as 4 door Larks, but I think the rears are wagon only since the arm rest is in a different place.

I was living in Tacoma, Washington in 1963. When those "WASH" plates came out there was quite the uproar. It seems like there was plenty of room to spell out WASHINGTON and abbreviated that way made some Washingtonians a little miffed.

The NOS rear door panels I got with my Wagonaire had 2 sets of holes cut in the board, but none cut thru the vinyl, so I think they are the same.
Bish

stude1964
03-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Dick
The upper holes were used on a wagon rear door panel as the seats were raised. There were special pieces screwed into the original holes for the arm rests to be relocated.
Rob in PA.

Dick Steinkamp
03-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Rob and Bish,

Thanks. I'm still a little unclear.

1. If I find some NOS panels (unlikely) it sounds like 4 door and Wagon panels were the same...the armrests just mounted in a different spot and the holes in the backing board are there for both. True?

2. If I find some good, used, 4 door panels will they not be useable since holes have already been punched in the vinyl for the 4 door armrests?

3. Rob, the "special pieces"...are they screwed into the holes in the doors or into the holes in the door panel?

EDIT...

OK, I looked closely at what I have and now I understand.

The door panel backing does have two sets of armrest holes. The 4 doors used the lower set and the wagons used the upper set.

The "special pieces" screw to the wagon doors to provide another set of arm rest anchors to line up with the UPPER set of holes in the door panels.

Therefore...4 door and wagon doors are the same and the door panels are the same. If I do find some nice used 4 door panels, it follows that I can install them on the wagon and just use the lower armrest position. This may not be super comfortable for back seat passengers, but I don't see that as a big deal.

Thanks again Rob and Bish.

johnandcathy
07-17-2012, 10:21 AM
hi, if you do find the door panels please let me know as I have been looking for them for a while now. I have a 64 daytona sliding roof and it is missing the drivers side door panel. thanks for your time, cathy

gordr
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I have a set of NOS interior door panels, but they are red. And I was saving them for my Wagonaire.

skyway
07-17-2012, 12:21 PM
"Those came out of the stash of NOS interiors upstairs at Sasco 6 or 7 years ago - I dug through stuff for hours and came up with those two pieces."

I resemble that remark.
I dug thru those pallets, piles, and boxes at 2 separate swaps. Turns out that they had put out different bunchs each time.
What a job!
Between the 2, I came up with a complete '64 Cruiser tan vinyl bench interior, and then a rear seat back to replace the one that I had used out of a complete recliner interior bought from N & A.
Those days and prices are long gone!

Roscomacaw
07-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Dick,

I confess I just haven't taken the time to get those NOS door panels out of the loft. I don't do much of anything in timely fashion anymore. I am making progress on the Chicken Coupe tho.

Bill Pressler
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Dick, for some reason, I was thinking that the Lark center emblem was only on the rear seat cushion, not the front....but then, I had a two-door '63 Daytona!

When I get home, I'll have to look in the brochure and showroom album I have. I could certainly be wrong.

Regardless, those new pieces look real nice.

Dick Steinkamp
07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Dick,

I confess I just haven't taken the time to get those NOS door panels out of the loft. I don't do much of anything in timely fashion anymore. I am making progress on the Chicken Coupe tho.

Send pics of the coupe on wheels. I think you can patent that design and make a fortune :cool:

Dick Steinkamp
07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Dick, for some reason, I was thinking that the Lark center emblem was only on the rear seat cushion, not the front....but then, I had a two-door '63 Daytona!

When I get home, I'll have to look in the brochure and showroom album I have. I could certainly be wrong.

Bill,
If you find out about the location of the Lark emblems...let me know.

Studeguru
07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
The Lark emblem on my 63 Daytona are only on the back seat. My front seats are two pieces and have no emblem.

Dick Steinkamp
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
The Lark emblem on my 63 Daytona are only on the back seat. My front seats are two pieces and have no emblem.

Is yours a straight bench front or the individual seats? (mine is a straight bench front)

Bill Pressler
07-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Dick, I'm out of town 'til Thursday night but I'll look when I get home.

BobPalma
07-17-2012, 07:18 PM

You remembered correctly, Bill:

1963 "Lark" Front Bench (shown in Cruiser):

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/63larkfrontbench.jpg

1963 Lark Rear Bench (shown in Wagonaire):

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/63larkrearbench.jpg

1963 Lark Buckets (shown in Daytona hardtop):

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/63larkfrontbuckets.jpg

BP

studegary
07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Then what is in the center of that 1963 Cruiser front bench that you show, Bob?

pdrnec
07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Bill,
If you find out about the location of the Lark emblems...let me know.

Only on the back seat, AFAIK

mbstude
07-17-2012, 08:21 PM
I was trying for longer than I care to admit to figure out why Dick's NOS material had the bird emblem on the bottom when I know for sure that the emblem goes on the top of the seat. In BP's brochure pics it looks like the NOS pieces that Dick has wrap over the top of the seat. Learn something new everyday.

Dick, I hope you can find NOS '63 door panels. You see so very few '63 Larks with the correct interior that it'd be a real treat to see you go that route with your car.

Dick Steinkamp
07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I think if the bird only went on the rear seat, then they wouldn't have produced that panel with all the quilted material to wrap over the top of the seat back, since on the rear (both sedan and wagon) it doesn't wrap beyond the top of the seat.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire/SAM_0923.jpg

BobPalma
07-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Bill Pressler's Daytona had a split bench front seat, per his later addition. He remembered having the bird only on the rear seat back, which was confirmed in the Salesman's Guide material...but that's Split Bench Seat only, again, as Bill remembered and thus qualified his memory.

The Salesman's Guide confirms the bird was present on front bench seats. That accounts for Dick's material having enough pleated material to wrap over the top of the front seat back, which is what it's supposed to do.

At one time, Ted Harbit had a Rose Mist 1963 Cruiser with front bench seat, a car he later sold to the late, dear Tom "Snurdley" Stephany. Ted had that Cruiser's seats reupholstered in a non-stock material. However, he had them carefully cut these subject birds out of the old material and sewn in the appropriate place on the new seat material.

It didn't look 100% "factory," of course, because it was obviously pieced and stitched with visible thread. But it looked better than nothing at all. BP

BobPalma
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Then what is in the center of that 1963 Cruiser front bench that you show, Bob?

See Post #26, Gary. BP

Bill Pressler
07-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Bob, my Daytona had a bench seat, solid cushion, but of course with split backs (because it was a hardtop), it had no "bird" in that position.

The Cruiser had an "S" instead of a bird there...remember, the Cruiser wasn't a Lark (LOL)! Sheila sent her younger brother all the way to South Bend one December to pick up NOS upholstery for our Daytona from Newman and Altman, and when I opened the package at Christmastime, they had given him a Cruiser rear seat back--center armrest and "S" instead of "bird" emblem (I shouldn't even mention that another cushion was damaged!). I drove it back myself and one fellow in particular acted like I was interrupting his lunch break by showing him their goof! LOL

So apparently, the Daytona Wagonaire front seat solid back was the only Studebaker model that used that exact one-piece seatback with the "bird" emblem.

Bill Pressler
07-18-2012, 04:14 AM
I might add, that '63 showroom album has a bunch of goofs in it, one of which is that bucket seats were standard in the Daytona. For '62 yes, but not for '63. My production order shows "Reclining Seat Backs Solid Cushion".

BobPalma
07-18-2012, 07:51 AM
I might add, that '63 showroom album has a bunch of goofs in it, one of which is that bucket seats were standard in the Daytona. For '62 yes, but not for '63. My production order shows "Reclining Seat Backs Solid Cushion".

Right on the '63s, Bill; good points. I updated Post #26, per your report.

However, remember our discussion of early 1962 Daytonas in Turning Wheels with Andy Beckman awhile back? 'Turns out the first (unknown quantity) of 1962 Daytonas did not have bucket seats but, rather, split bench! This in spite of all showroom and Salesman's Guide information to the contrary.

We finally deduced that the new "Lark" bucket seat bracketry probably wasn't quite ready to go when 1962 production got underway, and that an unknown number of 1962 Daytonas were, in fact, shipped without bucket front seats.

That was under the heading of, "you learn something new every day," because none of us old-timers had been aware of that until Andy pulled an early 1962 Daytona production order for some other reason and noticed the seat discrepancy. :ohmy: BP

skyway
07-18-2012, 08:11 AM
So are we thinking that these flat pieces are the "over the shoulders" pieces for as yet un-sewn up covers?
The way they get narrow at the top does not look to me to be correct for that.
I remember that those piles at SASCO also contained some mis-sewn pieces.
Any chance that these flat covers were somehow mis-embossed?

JRoberts
07-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Dick, I have a set of those license plate lights on my Cruiser. I did away with all the extra stuff and put bolts w/chrome heads on all the of holes. I like that look. If I find a front bumper in decent shape I may try to do what you did. It will have to be a very good one as the one I have on the rear is NOS and in good shape.