STA-KON type terminals needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: STA-KON type terminals needed

Can not find a source for the electrical connectors which slide on sideways to connect the gas sending unit on a 62 Lark, the temp sending unit on a 259, etc. I have not even encountered the proper name for these connectors. Many folks have told me to use typical "quick-disconnects" but they will not lock on. Maybe I have the wrong sending units. If you look straight down on the terminal it is a round disc maybe 1/8" diameter or 3/16. If you look at it from the side it is shaped like a tee. I would like to get maybe six or eight of the correct terminals which slide on and lock in place. Seems to me these were pretty common back in the late 50s & early 60's. Any ideas on a source? I suppose that depends on if you know what I am asking about. Everywhere I have checked so far has no idea what I am talking about. Thank you for the help in advance!
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

can u post a pic?
    1947 M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Ray

Are these what you are looking for. http://www.mcmaster.com/#lug-terminals/=gns72y Check the flag terminals on this page.

Bob

Comment

A quarter-inch female blade connector works.

That is what I have always used. The original female end had shallow tracks on each edge, and relied upon a springy center tab to lock it onto the male tab. This was true whether the male tab was the usual flat blade, say as found on the OD kickdown switch, or the round disc as found on the fuel and temp senders.

The modern replacement for the female connector has deeper spring-loaded tracks on each side, and dispenses with the center tab affair.

If the gap on the modern connector is too narrow for the stem on the male disc to pass, you can alter the connector by trimming it a little with a cutting disc mounted in a Dremel tool.

Otherwise, rob one of the old-style connectors off a wire under the dash, replacing it with a new style one, which will work fine on the flat blades used on the dash switches.

Use solder and heat-shrink tubing to splice the robbed connector onto the wire at the tank, for an almost invisible fix. Not that anyone will see it, anyway, but you don't really want a butt-splice connector exposed to the air under the car.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Ray: Here's an assortment of the type of female terminal ends you need to slide over the disc-shaped terminal on your components:

They are available in a variety of widths, so just go to any NAPA store or other FLAPS and look through their assortment until you find the size you need. The ones on the bottom have insulators around the area where you'll clamp the outgoing wire.

If the only size you can use is one of the uninsulated ones, like the ones on top, then you can buy a plastic sleeve, the item on the right, to enclose the whole connector. Just cut out a small area on the bottom of the plastic sleeve to allow it to slip over the stud onto which you'll slide the connector.

See Gordon's Post #4, above, for further description and information. BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: reference Gordon's post
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nope - I know exactly what he's talking about. It's the connector that slips over the "nailhead" terminal on the temp sending unit. Looks like a female quick-disconnect, but it's not - it has a "spring" finger punched out in the middle to lock it onto the sender so it won't vibrate off.

Ray, when I got my repro wiring harness from the Thoms brothers, it had the correct STA-KON connector on the temp sender wire. They make the harnesses up themselves on-site, so they could probably sell you a few - or at least point you toward where to get them from. Give a call to Studebakers West and I bet you'll find what you're after.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Clark, I know "exactly what he's talking about," too, but don't have a picture of it, and I doubt it's as readily-available as the common terminals pictured.

I was trying to help him locate something he could use from local sources, and those would work just as well if he selected the right size and wanted to stop his search at the local parts store. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hahaha! Sorry Bob - looks like we were composing posts at the same time and mine posted after yours. My post really belongs in the #4 slot after Sweetolbob's. Sorry if it sounded like I thought I "knew better"

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I've had the female dis-connects shown above on several cars without troubles

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    Hahaha! Sorry Bob - looks like we were composing posts at the same time and mine posted after yours. My post really belongs in the #4 slot after Sweetolbob's. Sorry if it sounded like I thought I "knew better"
                    Hey, you're the MODERATOR, Clark; you'd better know better! <GGG> BP

Comment

Is it similar to this? I believe it's referred to as a "button connector".

Comment

ONCE AGAIN FTTR FORUM-to-the-RESCUE I have the two I need badly coming from Studebaker West. 63 R2 Hawk your picture was exactly what I was looking for! Showbizkid...your "nail head" described it perfectly! I did try the typical quick disconnects but wasn't happy with the final fit and wanted a "snap" into place fit. Did find that the fitting is a series 56 and that application uses a slotted connector. On line I found a couple sources with huge minimums and Napa gave me #725148 and # 725147 but it would be 25 terminals and 50 covers minimum. What I have on the way does not have the plastic covers and I can live with that. THANK YOU ALL
                        Ray Stewart SDC
                        51 pick-up
                        57 silver hawk
                        62 lark

Comment

Both the terminal and plastic cover with the slot in it have been used on GM temp senders since at least 1960. Just bring a pair of wire cutters with you the next time you visit a junk yard.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                          X