PDA

View Full Version : Packard Graveyard to possibly be scrapped!

cultural infidel
03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/mar/12/city-considers-fate-packard-graveyard-middle-lawre/

Dont know if anyone here knows of this already or knows where this is personally. It would be a shame to see all those Packards sent to scrap!

hausdok
03-14-2012, 12:48 AM
The place was known as University Motors.

The owners died years ago and the family is squabbling over what to do with the place and the Packards. The home has been designated as historical architecture so they can't tear it down but they can't figure out what to do about the "junkyard." The property has a high wood fence around those portions of the lot that aren't structures and within that enclosure, which is directly across from the police station in Lawrence, KS, is 15 Packards.

The city isn't going to move to take action until May but they're publicizing the fact that they intend to do something in order to try and get the family off their thumbs.

The folks over at PackardInfo.com have known about this lot since 2007 - at least that's one of the times they discussed this place over there - and apparently haven't figured out what to do with the place over the past five years.

Satallite photo of the lot:

http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/uploads/hausdok/201231414318_packardcache.jpg

Shot taken over the fence:
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/newbb/633_4f601c447230a.jpg

Bob Andrews
03-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Frustrating to hear that the city is going to "move to take action". Why?? It's nobody's business what people do with their private property unless it's doing actual harm to others. Obviously this isn't harming anyone.

Obviously, the city will eventually haul away the cars for scrap, while ramshackle, unusable buildings nobody wants will be saved and continue to rot.

It's hard to be a car lover these days...

BobPalma
03-14-2012, 08:16 AM
A little Spanish lingo, here: Crappola. BP

dnevin
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
I lived near there for years, and I know that when the brothers were alive several people tried to rescue cars over the years to no avail--they weren't interested in selling. After decades of rotting with frames sitting on the dirt, I doubt there's much left to those cars, other than perhaps a few spare parts.

I'm surprised that the city has been this courteous waiting this long to take action. I know that if I lived near there I'd be plenty pissed off that it hadn't been cleaned up yet as the neighborhood has to fight off the rodentia. This isn't the first time this issue has come to light.

I'm pretty sure the house will either be restored or razed. It is in a historic district, but in Lawrence that simply means that you have to have approval of a board to make major modifications to the appearance. If it is too far gone to be saved, then they'll let it go.

The best hope for those cars is that the action taken by the city will force the surviving family members to have a public auction. There are enough Packard fans in the area (Lawrence is only 30 minutes west of Kansas City) that I'm sure someone will grab the few parts that are worth salvaging. The pictures really do the cars more justice than real life.

drew72mgb
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
This is in Lawrence, Kansas???
I have never heard of it before - and Lawrence is only about 30 miles from me -

I will try to keep tabs on this...

Drew

BobPalma
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
This is in Lawrence, Kansas???
I have never heard of it before - and Lawrence is only about 30 miles from me -

I will try to keep tabs on this...

Drew

Yes, Drew.Please let us know if there are to be any auctions, offerings, etc. BP

Roscomacaw
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I have to wonder if the brothers maintained a cache of NOS parts thru the years.

Marie Mac
03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
My question would be why this has been allowed to stand in deterioration all thes years...generally speaking, I would not think zoning regs would allow it, especially in a historic district...I know that in my area, a collection of unlicensed vehicles constitutes a salvage yard, which certainly would be in violation of zoning laws...also, I can't understand the structures being allowed to become health & safety hazards...sounds like a long, ongoing case of non-enforcement..........Marie

showbizkid
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Looks pretty well hidden. Out of sight, out of mind...

Bob Andrews
05-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Auction May 26:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/05/16/save-these-packards-lawrence-kansas/?refer=news

DEEPNHOCK
05-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Auction May 26:
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/05/16/save-these-packards-lawrence-kansas/?refer=news

That's probably the best thing that could happen.
That's probably the worst thing that could happen.

I sympathize with a town that is dealing with a hoarder, be it cats, dogs, magazines, or....cars.
But I rile with the intrusion into losing one's liberties.
Where does the line get crossed?
People should be free to buy, sell, keep what they want.
But, we usually see the extremes when it comes to the news, or even the edges of our hobbies.
This is one of those cases where (IMHO) I tend to side with the municipality.
Enough is enough.
I can see the city, after years of not saying or doing anything, stepping in and saying 'clean it up'.
And the owner (a supposition on my part), who has done nothing to clean it up in decades...has to resort to the easiest way to 'clean it up'.
Calling the scrap metal guys is the easiest way out, but has the least payback.
Selling it all piece by piece takes the longest, and is definitely 'hands on'.
Marketing your plight on the Internet, and then auctioning it off makes sense.
Makes sense time wise, and payback wise.
It took some businessmen to save the Stude parts...
Doesn't look like there are any businessmen willing to take this Packard challenge on.
Makes one wonder how many small collections like this were crushed and nobody knew about it at all....
Something to ponder.....
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

56H-Y6
05-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi

Here's the auction link if it hasn't been posted otherwise:

http://kansasauctions.net/elston/05/26.php

Get your logistics and money together, get out there next Saturday to buy!

Steve

SN-60
05-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I believe I see three '56 Clippers. And they're beautiful tail lights haven't been robbed and grafted onto '55-'56 Fords yet!

dnevin
05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Jeff, it is my understanding that the owner of the property died and the family has been working to resolve the estate. As in the case of many such cases, it ends up in an auction. The city has been very, very unobtrusive in this case--more of a gentle prodding to bring into compliance.

I speak somewhat from experience having lived within a few blocks of the property for several years about a decade ago.

I'll offer a counter point just for the sake of it--these cars have been non-op and the owner has refused to part with as much as a worn out wiper blade for decades. What if the city had stepped in and enforced the codes 25 years ago--some of those cars could have been saved. Resting as they are with the frames into the dirt the cars probably look better than they actually are.

The auction at least gives Packard folks the opportunity to collect what parts are left for resale. I doubt if anyone in the family is interested in stepping forward and turning it into a business--I'm honestly surprised it didn't all go the scrap yard with the price of scrap metal now.

Roscomacaw
05-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for some first-hand insight, Dave. I've wondered if there isn't/wasn't some parts squirreled away somewhere (for resto or upkeep of these). Either way, seems a bit ironic that these are meeting their "fate" just as the factory they were created from meets its demise.

Bill Pressler
05-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes, Drew.Please let us know if there are to be any auctions, offerings, etc. BP

Side note, Bob...Drew's family owned my old Skytop that is in Oz now, from '70 to '79.

Hawklover
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
No Bob!
Tell it like is actually is...............Sicilian.....specifically..............Palermo!!:-)
A little Spanish lingo, here: Crappola. BP

BobPalma
05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
The printed inventory is not entirely accurate.

I see two 1956 Executive 4-doors and one 1956 Clipper hardtop and one 1956 Clipper 4-door sedan, all four of which use the same tail lamp assembly.

'Have to take their word on the Clippers being Supers or Customs, because the identifying script cannot be seen on the front fenders. The hardtop does not appear to have a rocker panel molding, making it a Super. But the molding on a Custom could have been knocked off or the clips rusted away and it fell off some time ago.

Gee, I hope they go to good homes. BP

dnevin
05-25-2012, 12:56 AM
article in the local paper with video of a few of the cars:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/may/24/packard-auction-set-saturday/

Apparently most have sat there since 1963.

dnevin
05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
And to bring some closure, a slide show with audio from the auction. Anybody from here make it?

http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/2012/may/26/35571/

Roscomacaw
05-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Sounds like these things sold close to scrap prices. Of course, if they weren't bought to be scrapped, that's a good thing.

BobPalma
05-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Sounds like these things sold close to scrap prices. Of course, if they weren't bought to be scrapped, that's a good thing.

That's what I was thinking, Bob. There's probably some questions to which we don't want to know the answer. :( BP

dnevin
05-27-2012, 07:59 PM
To take a more positive slant on it, I'm sure there were a few CAPOs (does such a thing even exist?) in attendance who appreciated being able to buy a parts car for $400.

(I think the guy in the bib overalls was probably a Packard collector disguised as a farmer in an attempt to go undercover and get lower bids.) ;)

BobPalma
05-27-2012, 09:47 PM
To take a more positive slant on it, I'm sure there were a few CAPOs (does such a thing even exist?) in attendance who appreciated being able to buy a parts car for $400.

(I think the guy in the bib overalls was probably a Packard collector disguised as a farmer in an attempt to go undercover and get lower bids.) ;)

I hope you're right, Dave. :)

Please confirm if you glean additional information.

Thanks for staying on top of this. BP

dnevin
05-28-2012, 12:09 AM
There's a little more on it over at the HAMB, although no reports yet of the outcome:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701550

loc8tor
05-28-2012, 07:48 AM
anyone heard anything about the auction????