PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Brake Drum

rockinhawk
03-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I was working on the brakes on a 69 Dodge truck today. The rear drums were 11" finned. They looked so familiar that I pulled a Studebaker drum from my stash and compared the two. They are almost identical. After I got the shoes back on I slid the Hawk drum onto Truck axle. Perfect fit except the center hole was smaller than the Dodge. That leads me to beileve A Dodge truck drum could be used on a Studebaker. The lug pattern was the same untill sometime in the 80s. What do ya'll think? NT

1962larksedan
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I was working on the brakes on a 69 Dodge truck today. The rear drums were 11" finned. They looked so familiar that I pulled a Studebaker drum from my stash and compared the two. They are almost identical. After I got the shoes back on I slid the Hawk drum onto Truck axle. Perfect fit except the center hole was smaller than the Dodge. That leads me to beileve A Dodge truck drum could be used on a Studebaker. The lug pattern was the same untill sometime in the 80s. What do ya'll think? NT

The only issue I see here is since the Dodge drum would not 'center' on the axle flange; you may have some shaking/wheel lockup when you step on the brake pedal since the drum is effectively 'oblong' vs. the shoes.

tbirdtbird
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
careful tightening of the lugnuts might work

rockinhawk
03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
The only issue I see here is since the Dodge drum would not 'center' on the axle flange; you may have some shaking/wheel lockup when you step on the brake pedal since the drum is effectively 'oblong' vs. the shoes.I thought about that too, but if the drum was pressed onto a Studebaker hub lug bolts,that would effectively center it. also it would be rather simple to have a bushing made to fillin the gap.

rusty nut garage
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
They're are two aftermarket flanged axle kits that I'm familar with that are designed to replace the studebaker tapered axles. Both of them approach this issue of centering the drum a little differently. The FAIRBORN kit uses a bushing between the axle snub and the drum center (the preferred method and the prefered kit IMHO). the other kit uses 3 split bushings tha go between the wheel stud and the stud hole in the drum, a bit hoakey IMHO. This latter kit also has some fit issues with the bearing retainer. The only problem I see is what the availability of the drum your mentioning?

I thought about that too, but if the drum was pressed onto a Studebaker hub lug bolts,that would effectively center it. also it would be rather simple to have a bushing made to fillin the gap.

rockinhawk
03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
They're are two aftermarket flanged axle kits that I'm familar with that are designed to replace the studebaker tapered axles. Both of them approach this issue of centering the drum a little differently. The FAIRBORN kit uses a bushing between the axle snub and the drum center (the preferred method and the prefered kit IMHO). the other kit uses 3 split bushings tha go between the wheel stud and the stud hole in the drum, a bit hoakey IMHO. This latter kit also has some fit issues with the bearing retainer. The only problem I see is what the availability of the drum your mentioning?
I'm not sure how long Dodge used that same drum. The local Bumper to Bumper Parts store said new ones were available for $125. I know an 82 Dodge used the same bolt pattern but don't know if the rest of the drum is the same or not.
I bought a new Dodge in 82 and wanted to put mudgrips on the back. I didn't want to dismount the new tires so I rounded up a couple of old Studebaker wheels and put the mud grips on them.
Later on I got an 87 Dodge and the bolt pattern had changed.

55 56 PREZ 4D
03-14-2012, 08:05 PM
My local NAPA didn't have Part# ND4401169 in stock [If that's the drum "Rockinhawk" was talking about. It's the only one on their site that was finned]
But could have them in within 2 or 3 days. $59.99 online.

WCP
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I sent you a PM.