Youthful Perspective on Old Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youthful Perspective on Old Studebakers

'Got to thinking about something yesterday while watching our 27-month-old grandson:

(photo is several months old; he's bigger now)

When he's here, he always wants to go to see "old cars in big garage," so we have the same tour and count cars and identify colors.

So I got to thinking yesterday: I was 27 months old in spring 1948. If I went to my Grandfather Palma's place and he had collectible old Studebakers of the same age to me in 1948 as are my 1964 models to my grandson in 2012, my Grandfather's Studebaker collection would have been no newer than 1900 production and would have been horse-drawn vehicles, not motorcars!

Geeze, talk about feeling old! Quick, where's the Geritol bottle? (Do they even still make that stuff?) <GGG> BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM. Reason: grammar
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I get a kick out of telling "youngsters" that there were no cars being produced when I was born 68 years ago.

Comment

Yup, BP, Geritol is still being produced. Recently had a bottle in my medicine cabinet along with Ben-Gay, Brioschi and all of the others. I called my wife in and asked her when did old people move in?
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Bob I know the feeling I went through a number of years back with Clayton he was about the same age when this picture was taken.

and now a few years later and still growing.

Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          Bob I know the feeling I went through a number of years back with Clayton he was about the same age when this picture was taken.

and now a few years later and still growing.

Cool beans, Bob; nice comparison. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Maybe your Grandpa had a curved-dash Olds?

Comment

Hi,

When people ask me how old I am, I tell them that I'm approximately 25% of the age of the country.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Bob,
                I never married or had kids--funny how those two coincided--but, I really started feeling old when my nieces and nephews started becoming grandparents!
                Still hope to determine what I want to do with my life, once I grow up.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Bob,
                  I never married or had kids--funny how those two coincided--but, I really started feeling old when my nieces and nephews started becoming grandparents!
                  Still hope to determine what I want to do with my life, once I grow up.
                  Ah-Ha, Brad; you and confirmed bachelor Dick Quinn. I knew there was a conspiracy here somewhere.

'No wonder you guys have all the money for the cars us lesser mortals can't afford. <GGG> BP

Comment

As you know, my beautiful son has NO interest in cars, other than as a necessary appliance. It's OK though, he's as smart and sweet a kid as was ever born, actually a fine 21 YO young man. How the heck did THAT happen??

Nephew Evyn was my car kid, and had that innate love and curiosity for old cars. What a great time he and I had in SB in '07! Now he's 16, wears earrings, and flits from drums to lacrosse to weightlifting to snowmobiles to cars to tech school research to..... claimed to want to drive race cars too and asked his accomplished uncle, but does not want to listen to one step in the process, so...

I have no idea what he's going to do in the future. I just have to rely on the saying that says 'Train the motorhead up in the ways of the internal combustion engine and he shall not stray from it'
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob the 2 boys met in SB in 07 at the proving grounds set up at the wal-mart parking lot when you guys were in my old 60 wagon, Clayton and I had the 67 Avanti for the trip around the track...Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Last month our chapter had a half dozen Studes entered in the local car show. The entry getting the most attention wasn't a bullet nose or an Avanti or a Hawk. It was a '15 roadster, mostly finished but not quite running. I didn't think about how old the car was until two fourth-grade boys we reading the information about the car and one said, "geez, in three years that car will be a hundred years old, wow!". Yeah, and it won't be much longer than that for some of us. Our oldest member working our booth turned 90 that week. Joe was a Studebaker mechanic for a career and is still answers questions about fixing our cars.

Comment

I know many of you are older than I am, 48 yesterday, but in my favorite sport of MX racing 30 is retirement age for most, often younger than that. I was racing a Vet rcae in Mammoth Mtn Ca a few years back. You have to be 30 to even enter, then 35 n up is super Vet, 40^ is Senior, 50^ is super senior. I was racing the super Vet class and in our last moto of the weekend, you race 4 motos per class, you could smell Ben-Gay on the starting line even through the smell of race fuel and 2 stroke smoke permiating the air. I jokingly suggested we had all ought to look for sponsorships from Ben-Gay, Advil, Tylenol.....The Mammoth Mtn. Vet MX Nationals presented by Geritol, ThermoCare heat pads and Cryopack Ice packs....

I hope my daughter chooses to have kids someday, she says she does not want kids, but that often changes as a girl ages a bit, I look forward to being a grampa...a grampa with the cool old hot rod Stude truck.

Comment

My grandson Luke

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ironstone Concours 2011 044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1672194

I wasn't much older than my grandson here when my dad got the car
                            My first car on the road again!

The old girl has never been sold to the public
                            Grandpa was a Studie dealer. He got it off the car carrier in 1956 and drove it until 1959
                            My dad: 1959-70

sigpic

Me: Since 1970 and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              Bob the 2 boys met in SB in 07 at the proving grounds set up at the wal-mart parking lot when you guys were in my old 60 wagon, Clayton and I had the 67 Avanti for the trip around the track...Bob
                              Yessir, I remember that. Seems like forever ago! Time marches on, right?
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X