PDA

View Full Version : Youthful Perspective on Old Studebakers

BobPalma
03-13-2012, 08:31 AM
'Got to thinking about something yesterday while watching our 27-month-old grandson:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF2085.jpg

(photo is several months old; he's bigger now)

When he's here, he always wants to go to see "old cars in big garage," so we have the same tour and count cars and identify colors.

So I got to thinking yesterday: I was 27 months old in spring 1948. If I went to my Grandfather Palma's place and he had collectible old Studebakers of the same age to me in 1948 as are my 1964 models to my grandson in 2012, my Grandfather's Studebaker collection would have been no newer than 1900 production and would have been horse-drawn vehicles, not motorcars!

Geeze, talk about feeling old! Quick, where's the Geritol bottle? (Do they even still make that stuff?) <GGG> BP

63 R2 Hawk
03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I get a kick out of telling "youngsters" that there were no cars being produced when I was born 68 years ago.

FlatheadGeo
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Yup, BP, Geritol is still being produced. Recently had a bottle in my medicine cabinet along with Ben-Gay, Brioschi and all of the others. I called my wife in and asked her when did old people move in?

candbstudebakers
03-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Bob I know the feeling I went through a number of years back with Clayton he was about the same age when this picture was taken.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001580.jpg

and now a few years later and still growing.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/67%20Avanti/IM001475.jpg

BobPalma
03-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Bob I know the feeling I went through a number of years back with Clayton he was about the same age when this picture was taken.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001580.jpg

and now a few years later and still growing.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/67%20Avanti/IM001475.jpg

Cool beans, Bob; nice comparison. BP

tluz
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe your Grandpa had a curved-dash Olds?

hausdok
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi,

When people ask me how old I am, I tell them that I'm approximately 25% of the age of the country.

rockne10
03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Bob,
I never married or had kids--funny how those two coincided--but, I really started feeling old when my nieces and nephews started becoming grandparents!
Still hope to determine what I want to do with my life, once I grow up.;):rolleyes:

BobPalma
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Bob,
I never married or had kids--funny how those two coincided--but, I really started feeling old when my nieces and nephews started becoming grandparents!
Still hope to determine what I want to do with my life, once I grow up.;):rolleyes:

Ah-Ha, Brad; you and confirmed bachelor Dick Quinn. I knew there was a conspiracy here somewhere.

'No wonder you guys have all the money for the cars us lesser mortals can't afford. <GGG> BP

Bob Andrews
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
As you know, my beautiful son has NO interest in cars, other than as a necessary appliance. It's OK though, he's as smart and sweet a kid as was ever born, actually a fine 21 YO young man. How the heck did THAT happen??:(

Nephew Evyn was my car kid, and had that innate love and curiosity for old cars. What a great time he and I had in SB in '07! Now he's 16, wears earrings, and flits from drums to lacrosse to weightlifting to snowmobiles to cars to tech school research to..... claimed to want to drive race cars too and asked his accomplished uncle, but does not want to listen to one step in the process, so...

I have no idea what he's going to do in the future. I just have to rely on the saying that says 'Train the motorhead up in the ways of the internal combustion engine and he shall not stray from it':)

candbstudebakers
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Bob the 2 boys met in SB in 07 at the proving grounds set up at the wal-mart parking lot when you guys were in my old 60 wagon, Clayton and I had the 67 Avanti for the trip around the track...Bob

studer35
03-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Last month our chapter had a half dozen Studes entered in the local car show. The entry getting the most attention wasn't a bullet nose or an Avanti or a Hawk. It was a '15 roadster, mostly finished but not quite running. I didn't think about how old the car was until two fourth-grade boys we reading the information about the car and one said, "geez, in three years that car will be a hundred years old, wow!". Yeah, and it won't be much longer than that for some of us. Our oldest member working our booth turned 90 that week. Joe was a Studebaker mechanic for a career and is still answers questions about fixing our cars.

kmac530
03-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I know many of you are older than I am, 48 yesterday, but in my favorite sport of MX racing 30 is retirement age for most, often younger than that. I was racing a Vet rcae in Mammoth Mtn Ca a few years back. You have to be 30 to even enter, then 35 n up is super Vet, 40^ is Senior, 50^ is super senior. I was racing the super Vet class and in our last moto of the weekend, you race 4 motos per class, you could smell Ben-Gay on the starting line even through the smell of race fuel and 2 stroke smoke permiating the air. I jokingly suggested we had all ought to look for sponsorships from Ben-Gay, Advil, Tylenol.....The Mammoth Mtn. Vet MX Nationals presented by Geritol, ThermoCare heat pads and Cryopack Ice packs....

I hope my daughter chooses to have kids someday, she says she does not want kids, but that often changes as a girl ages a bit, I look forward to being a grampa...a grampa with the cool old hot rod Stude truck.

kirkdob
03-14-2012, 01:01 AM

I wasn't much older than my grandson here when my dad got the car

Bob Andrews
03-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Bob the 2 boys met in SB in 07 at the proving grounds set up at the wal-mart parking lot when you guys were in my old 60 wagon, Clayton and I had the 67 Avanti for the trip around the track...Bob

Yessir, I remember that. Seems like forever ago! Time marches on, right?

BobPalma
03-14-2012, 07:20 AM

I wasn't much older than my grandson here when my dad got the car

'Neat picture, Kirk. Both Luke and my GS Will seem to have the same firm grip on the Studebaker hobby....at least for the time being! <GGG> BP

03-14-2012, 08:53 AM
'Got to thinking about something yesterday while watching our 27-month-old grandson:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF2085.jpg

(photo is several months old; he's bigger now)

When he's here, he always wants to go to see "old cars in big garage," so we have the same tour and count cars and identify colors.

So I got to thinking yesterday: I was 27 months old in spring 1948. If I went to my Grandfather Palma's place and he had collectible old Studebakers of the same age to me in 1948 as are my 1964 models to my grandson in 2012, my Grandfather's Studebaker collection would have been no newer than 1900 production and would have been horse-drawn vehicles, not motorcars!

Geeze, talk about feeling old! Quick, where's the Geritol bottle? (Do they even still make that stuff?) <GGG> BP
When our oldest grandson, now 16, was starting to talk, he liked to tackle big words. His first big one was "Studebaker". We took him to the Gettysburg Meet last summer and he now wants a Studebaker truck.
Since you like white '64 Daytonas with black interiors, it would be nice if you could find the one they offered me when they cancelled my order in December '63. It had everything I wanted (289 w/OD, TT, Hill Holder, HD springs and shocks, AM-FM, AC, reclining buckets, tint glass, roof rack, power back window and tailgate step, disc brakes, etc.) except for two differences. It had a black interior and it had the third seat so I rejected it and re-ordered later from Hamilton