PDA

View Full Version : Matt-Don't feel bad-

kmac530
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
In Matts thread about his wheel coming off and bending his fender, I posted about never graduating from The School Of Hard Knocks.
I offer proof of that today.
Today, on my 48th birthday {technically 49th if you count your actual birth-day} I added a new chapter in my lesson plan for The School of Hard Knocks.
I am fully aware that my C-cab does NOT have a nuetral safety switch, or any type of clutch safety switch, YET, in my haste and excitement of forward progress....you guessed it.

Mind you, I live in a housing tract surrounded by houses. We have 6-7000 sq ft lots and neighbors on all sides. My house actually contacts 5 other neighbors properties because I live in a culdesac and have a bit of a pie shaped lot.

I had started Oscar up earlier in the day and things were great. I needed to fit some pulleys so I put the truck in gear to help with the crank pulley bolt removal and install. I get my pulleys all aligned and bolted up. I fit my new thermostat and housing and a few other parts, and I connect a makeshift temporary water connection to my garden hose so I can run the motor for a while and maybe break in the cam. I got everything connected and water flowing, ready to run....and in my excitement I reach in the window and flip on the key and hit the starter button...stupid Studebakers have to start so easy, the thing fires right off, lunges forwards, pinches me between the door and my fence, keeps going, drives thru my neighbors fence and 2' into their yard before I can get my almost crushed body twisted around and turn off the key.

No worries, I am fine. A bit sore here and there. The truck is fine, it rolled over the grill that was leaning against the fence in front of it and bent a great condition straight C-cab grill. It broke the 2 cross braces of 2x4 and a few of the dog eared cedar fence slats and chipped a piece of bull nosed red brick.

So Matt, since these dumb things happened to You and to me prove that they happen to the best of us and the worst of us. At least you can say that your young, I am old enough to know better....as they say..."Stupid hurts" "you can't fix stupid" and "boy am I dumb"...well I say that alot anyway.

mbstude
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Oh man.. That sucks! Glad you're alright but, pity these old Studebakers that we're ruining. :rolleyes:

Must be something about March 12th.. Today is my 22nd.

Oh, happy birthday as well!

dnevin
03-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I have nothing to add as I've never done anything that qualifies. Really. :D (ok, but there weren't any witnesses)

But I did want to wish you both a Happy Birthday. May the next year be free of Studebaker-related peril!

63 R2 Hawk
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm glad I never did anything like that, except the time I replaced my gas gauge with a NOS gauge and reversed the ground and hot leads..... or the time I backed out of my shop in the dark and forgot I had a fifth wheel trailer with the slide extended into the driveway or.........

Lou Van Anne
03-13-2012, 01:02 AM
....or the time I forgot to replace the drain plug before I refilled the crankcase....did I use some bad words that day!
I'm glad I never did anything like that, except the time I replaced my gas gauge with a NOS gauge and reversed the ground and hot leads..... or the time I backed out of my shop in the dark and forgot I had a fifth wheel trailer with the slide extended into the driveway or.........

StudeRich
03-13-2012, 02:07 AM
No Studebakers or SDC Members were injured in my little mishap, except my ego!
I bought my/our first new Car, for my Wife, a '73 Toyota Corona Sedan with a 22R overhead cam Engine.

So a couple thousand miles or so after I had the Dealer do it's first Oil & Filter change I decide it's time to give it another one.

The drain, fill and replace Oil Filter goes well, so I decide it's time to fire her up and check for leaks, well apparently these overhead cam thingys are able to throw some serious Oil by the time you get them shut down if you do not put the O ringed & sealed Oil Cap back on! Doh! :p
What a Mess! :( :mad:

Mrs K Corbin
03-13-2012, 06:30 AM
nearly lost my 2R5 about 20 years ago when the wiring between the Generator and regulator caught fire....
I did lose my Girlfriend that night when I screamed at her to get the F#$% away while I fought the fire...
She didn't take it well, but as I explained, I'd rather scare her to death than get her burned...
I was not going to lose that truck. Still have the truck. The girl? Who cares?

Peanut
03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
...or the time I bought a new set of chrome reverse wheels for my Lark, then proceeded to crush one of my shiny baby moon hubcaps when I hastily plopped one of the new wheels on the ground during brake service.

raprice
03-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Anyway, happy birthday to both of you. If it makes you feel any better, you don't belong to an exclusive club. Every one of us, sooner or later, does something that we will regret. Time to move on. As long as we come out of the problem relatively unscathed.
Rog

BobPalma
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
OUCH, Kelly! 'Glad you're OK. 'Take it easy. BP

kmac530
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks folks. Not that I would want anyone to make these kind of blunders, but it is kind of nice to know I am not alone....neither are you Matt. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope it made somebody laugh a little. I think I watched too much of the 3 Stooges as a kid.

Roscomacaw
03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
HOLY S*@T! I KNEW I should have offered some garbage brand X thing that would've been tough to start!

OK, so let me tell about leaving the GT Hawk idling in the back yard - inadvertantly IN Drive - while I went out to the front yard to retrieve the radiator cap I'd left in the truck. I get ALMOST to the truck, when strage sounds - like that of breaking glass and snapping wood - get my attention. Sprinting (and you thought I couldn't!) back thru the garage, I find the Hawk (obviously living up to it's "bird-of-prey" image) had decided to attack my flight of doves. In pursuit of it's quarry, it took out several pieces of lawn furniture (including a glass-topped table) and smashed into the 2X4-frame dove enclosure. When I laid eyes on it, it had traversed about 50 feet from where I'd left it, and was idling away with it's nose pinning one dove in the crumpled wire mesh. Amazingly, it hadn't done any damage to itself. The dove did die later, and that was sad. But once I got the car shut off and started to disengage it from the wire and timbers, I realized the dove cage had served to stop the car just short of taking out my well station. THAT would've been ugly cause evern tho a little stupid - I can deal with - taking out our water supply would've had me kickin' my own backside for who knows HOW long!

rbruner
03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Happy Birthday to y'all. Forrest Gump was right. Back in my pizza delivery days I drove a 65 Econoline van. It had black mag wheels so I thought I'd dress it up with chrome lug nuts. Trouble was they were the wrong lugs for the wheels. One wheel worked itself over the lugs & went rolling past me down a dirt road. The new holes in the wheel were huge. The hole in my wallet was bigger!

TMAN0950
03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I think I can beat all of you guys. My first Studebaker was a 57 Silver hawk (I am in high school in 1966 ) anyway the car had a auto trans, which stopped working, so I put a 3 speed into it. Well one day the car would not start, I opened the hood to jump it. I stuck my head into the window and hit the gear shift in the floor to take it out of gear, well it went into reverse and I did know it. I heald the carb open and jumped it, it started right away and down the road it goes. It hit a wall at a angle and bent the rear fender, the door and even the roof. That was the end of that car. Now don't you feel better, Terry

sasquatch
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Glad you're OK, Kelly. The other stuff can be fixed. I too forgot the drain plug when I was in high school and poured five quarts of Valvoline on the gas station floor. And I had my 2R15's front axle on jack stands while the front brake shoes were out being relined. A buddy came over to see it so I started it up for him. Forgot it was in gear and let the clutch out. Embarrassing.

Pat Dilling
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow, hope this is not the start of an epidemic! In the Darwinian world, there is a reason that stupid actions incur pain. Everybody use these misadventures as a reminder to take your time and be careful.

Corvanti
03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
let's just say that a breaking snow chain at 35 mph does wonders to a '74 corvette left rear fender!!! :o

i still partially blame the calif highway patrol. this occurred in '84 going up cajon pass (I-15). they would require chains to go "up the hill" if there was a snow flurrie... :mad:

Aussie Hawk
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
With all this Studebaker bad luck going on, (Matthew's wheel incident, and Kmac350's run away truck), I'm getting a little edgy about the job I had lined up for this weekend. I have to cut the heads off the rivets that hold the cross member under the rear of the cab on the M5, right beside the fuel tank! There will be plenty of wet rags involved and my son with hose at the ready. The cross member is rusted out on one side and has to be repaired.

kurtruk
03-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Kmac,

Wouldn't it be great if someone designed a vehicle with the starter button underneath the clutch pedal? Then you would have to depress the clutch to start the vehicle! Sounds like something Studebaker would have done. Maybe you can rig that up for your truck. :o:o;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

55s
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Wow!

I have 2 things in common with some:

(1) March 12 is my birthday
(2) Occasionally stuff happens. Once, when I got stuck in the snow in my driveway with my date in the car, I pushed backwards and suddenly the car started backing up, and the drivers door ended up parallel to the front fender. I got a 2x4 in the doorjam, and slammed the door a few times to "fix" it. I did get the door shut, it dod work for a bit, but I ended up replacing the door. Surprisingly, I didn't swear or yell with or at the girlfriend, but I didn't marry her either.

kmac530
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
You all would not have an outlet for your funny mishap stories if it was't for me not only being dumb, but being dumb enough to share about my being dumb....they say admitting it is half the battle. I have proof that is not true...I admitted that I was dumb YEARS ago, that hasn't helped anything.

To kutruk,
My truck does not have a starter switch under the clutch pedal, it never did as far as I know. It is a '49. There is no spot for one that I can see. I put the starter push button in the middle of the dash so I could limit this possibility, but I don't have my throttle linkage hooked up yet so starting it inside the cab does not work. Secondly...I was using a remote jumper wire from the engine compartment so a switch under the clutch would not have helped, I bypassed the circuit.

Play Wagon
03-14-2012, 03:17 AM
So, there we are, my buddy Steve and I, cruising down McLoughlin Blvd. in Milwaukie, OR years ago, with the two brand X convertibles he'd just aquired- one on top of the car hauler and the other trailing behind on a tow bar. Thirty-five mph for what seemed like a few miles when I happened to glance in the rearview mirror, stunned to find that the second ragtop had escaped! My first thought after alerting Steve was whether there were any identifying papers in the vehicle. Realizing the gravity of our predicament, we turned to retrace our steps, so to speak, he scanning his side of the road and me, mine. About a half mile back we see the "innocent passerby" waving his arms frantically and yelling "Hey, it's over here!" Too afraid to look, and too afraid not to, we see with huge relief that the car, bouncing its tow bar ahead of it like a blind man's cane, had come to rest in front of the picture window of a motorcycle shop, the destroyed merchandise inside of which we nearly came to own. Before stopping, it had barely missed a brand new Toyota van parked streetside. The only damage, mercifully, was a chunk knocked out of the curb which had stopped the car's unmanned travel. Cause? Safety pin in the linch pin holding the tow bar to the stinger left out, allowing the main pin to vibrate free. Toooooo close!

Roscomacaw
03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm certain I've told this before, but equally certain it's been a long time since I did so.....

From '73 thru about '80, I worked in a Classic car resto/brokerage facility. There were no lowly Studebakers or Fords or tri-five Chevys there - only vintage and contemporary exotica (including the Aston-Martins we were a dealer for). As I've related before, I got to drive alota cool cars that most of us only see an councours or in museums - among which were at least 10 different Duesenbergs. REAL Duesenbergs - not the woeful imitations on late model running gear.
My frirst wife didn't drive (she was a foreigner that never had access to a car), and so I'd break every morning and take her to the department store where she worked. If I happened to be working on something cool and roadable, I usually opted to drive that - just for the fun of it. One particular day found me cruising into our driveway in a genuine Duesenberg roadster! SO cool a ride! This one had belonged to Mr. Wrigley of chewing gum and baseball fame. Soft yellow (sorta like Jonquil Yellow) with some red accents. A BEAST of a two-seater!
I parked, pulled on the parking brake and went in the house to alert the wife I was there. I'd left the Duesy idling while I went in the house. Finding the wife putting on earrings, I told her she was in for a treatr today - what with the cool ride she was gonna show up to work in (her fellow employees were always envious).
I go back thru the front door - turning to pull it shut as I do so - I could still hear the gentle thunder of the idling straight eight beast. But when I glanced at the driveway where I'd left it, it wasn't there!!!
Imagine the bolt of panic that shot thru my veins as I homed in on where the thunder came from! It came from the neighbors yard - across the street from us! There, that cream yellow monster - parking brake letting go - had parked itself between his wife's van and his 4X4 truck, and done so without touching either one. There wasn't even room for me to open one of the Dusie's doors - I had to clamber over the tail of the thing to slide into it's cockpit. Sure glad it wasn't wearing it's top up!
I eased it out of the slot - took the wife to work without further incident and NEVER told my boss what had happened.

kurtruk
03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Bob, looks like it survived.

kmac530
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Play Wagon,
I had a very similar story of loosing a towed vehicle...
I may need to start a "Dumb story of the day" thread like the "Orphan of the day" thread. Or like the "After dinner mint" I could start the "Desert Dumbness" or "After dinner Mayhem"....I got enough stories for a year or two....and making more all the time.
Lets see:
Towing incidents
Motorcycle crashes
Rattlesnake bite
Shooting myself with a pellet gun
Streaking in the snow {bad plan}
Car crashes
Fence crashes {been told}
Work incidents
Garage incidents
Hospital visits
Burns
Shocks
Scaffold colapses
Waterskiing incidents
Wakeboarding incidents
Jetskiing Incidents

Maybe I just need to write a book... "The life and times of Kelly Mac, a rating of West Coast Hospitals"

parts
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
I was helping a friend put the motor back in a 64 Jaguar E Type. Not a perfect car but quite nice. As we get the motor in..and it comes in from the bottom.. Friend lowers the E Type..then we pull the motor up.. "Success" he yells as he raises his hand with a wrench in his hand..

Breaking the windshield..! He throws the wrench..which of course hits a tire laying in the garage..bounces off his perfect bonnet..putting a great dent on the louvers and the area next to it..
A major problem..

I went home..

Roscomacaw
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Kelly, after reviewing your "list", I'd like to offer that you get Oscar to the point of driveability - and then just park him in the driveway, kick back in a lawn chair with a cool one and fantasize about how he'd be received and adored wherever you'd drive him. Gotta be safer for him, you and any innocent bestanders!

parts
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Working on my E Type..setting valves. Done them many times for others and mine. It's Chicago..it's winter..it's cold..wearing gloves when I can. Getting to button up..put the cam cover on..little acorn nuts..take off gloves..
Dam..dropped one..been a long evening..

I reach down to get that little acorn nut..bracing my reach into that beautiful compartment...with my un-gloved hand GRABBING the very hot porcelain headers with my left hand..

A couple months later..

I was two handed again..

kmac530
03-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Bob K,
I have never hurt any innocent bystanders in any of my incidents....well maybe a few onlookers eyes in my youthful "streaking in the snow" incident.
40+ years of extreme sports takes its toll on a body and racks up a few stories....I am fun around a camp fire though...

SilverHawkDan
03-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Helping a friend install a new trans in his 57 Fury. Hot day and he figured we needed a break. Since his car was the only one available he decided we would go get some refreshments and come back and hook up the parking brake on the back of the trans. Keep in mind the car does not have park in trans. This Fury had the 361 V8 with the long ram manifold. Carbs sitting over the valve covers and a bell crank for the linkage in the middle of the manifold. We get to the liquor store and he leaves the car running in gear and up against the concrete parking stop. Comes back out with the goods and looking at his cool engine (the hood is off) he reaches over and grabs the bell crank and gives it a good twist. You guessed it, drove over the parking stop and right into the store. The three of us sitting in the car duck for cover and get showered with glass as the car goes through the plate glass front window. It proceeds to crash into the gondola full of liquor. When the dust settles we look up and over at a very shocked looking store clerk. The smell of booe was really strong. Long story short I ran into my buddy years later and he was still making payments to the court for the damage. Bad day.
Dan