Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydrovac Mating Surfaces What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrovac Mating Surfaces What do you think?

After re-looking at the bottom mating surface on the newest hydrovac and JP's observation of some his cores being rejected. I want your opinion as to whether I should install this newest hydrovac.

Here is a picture of a really good mating surface

Here is a picture of the leaking hydrovac. You should notice the blurring of the ridges at 1:00 and 7:00 o'clock of the picture

This is a picture of the newest hydrovac which is suspect also.

I really don't like this newest hydrovac and think I may have problems getting it sealed.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

They don't look that bad. Make sure you are using soft, new, never used soft copper washers and crank them down real tight.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Gt Hawk
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks John, The pictures look better than in reality. The ridges are quite flattened at 8:00 oclock. I'll be painting my inner fender first then I'll give her a go with the two different sized copper washers I bought from SI as well!

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

They don't look that bad. Make sure you are using soft, new, never used soft copper washers and crank them down real tight.

It's hard to say from the photos, but they look as good or better than the one I got. I reiterate the above.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

It seems that it would be possible to mount the part in a lathe and
          remove and then re-form the grooves. No??

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom, I expect those face grooves were made by some sort of piloted end mill. I wonder if a suitable mill could be made from a high-speed steel router bit? Cast iron is pretty easy to machine.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X