Factory showcar located

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory showcar located

I began a Thread in February, "Counting '55 President Speedsters'. This info. relates to that Thread,
    but I thought it might be important enough to 'Stand On It's Own'!
    A Gentleman from Canada informed Me that He owns one of the fourteen hand made President Speedster Showcars. Car#2 to be exact. For years, I believed only one of the fourteen had survived,
    Car#5, Serial #7150005. Factory Showcar #2, Serial#7150002 is in good hands. It's Owner, who wishes to keep a 'low profile' for now, Has owned it many years. I really don't know much else about
    it other than it's painted the 'Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow' combo, as all fourteen Showcars were.
    All Speedster owners are encouraged to send Serial and Body #'s, as I'm still about two thousand
    Speedsters short of My goal!!!!!
    PS...An interesting thing about these fourteen Showcars-- The body ID plate indicates
    6HK5-- instead of the normal 6HK7.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    I began a Thread in February, "Counting '55 President Speedsters'. This info. relates to that Thread,
    A Gentleman from Canada informed Me that He owns one of the fourteen hand made President Speedster Showcars. Car#2 to be exact. For years, I believed only one of the fourteen had survived,
    Car#5, Serial #7150005. Factory Showcar #2, Serial#7150002 is in good hands. It's Owner, who wishes to keep a 'low profile' for now, Has owned it many years. I really don't know much else about
    it other than it's painted the 'Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow' combo, as all fourteen Showcars were.
    All Speedster owners are encouraged to send Serial and Body #'s, as I'm still about two thousand
    PS...An interesting thing about these fourteen Showcars-- The body ID plate indicates
    The 6HK5 is probably because they started out to be President hardtops and were converted to President Speedsters.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've seen the Canadian car. There may be two
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Just wondering if you are far enough along with the collection of serial numbers to share the data; I for one would be interested.

Murray

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

To:stall,----Good question Murray. There seems to be a couple of new cars, (by 'new' I mean not on Bob J's 1993 Roster), coming in every week . I think there are several more 'out there'. I thought that it might be a good idea
          to run something in 'Turning Wheels' alerting Speedster owners who do not browse this Forum. I figure do it once as complete as I possibly can, get it out, then, after another 10 years or so, someone else can update it.
          This business of a second Factory Showcar turning up shows, to Me anyway, why it's important to maintain rosters. Not just for the President Speedsters, but all the different Studebaker models.

Comment

I've also seen the car your talking about.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

That is some very exciting news! There's some very unique history to those models, how they were made by the factory from 54' models and of course where they have lived their life until now. SN-60 I look forward to chatting with you, in regards to speedster registry. As that is something I have been working on, a website for speedsters -registry, and a repository of info -that hasn't been unveiled yet (needs some more work). Thanks.
              Best Regards,
              Eric West
              "The Speedster Kid"
              Sunny Northern California
              Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
              And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
              55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
              55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

To: 55studeman,---- That sounds good to Me Eric! Perhaps I could merge the info I have with Your material, and between Us We could come up with one really complete Roster/Registry! The interest in it definitely seems to be
                out there. I look forward to speaking with You.

Comment

Anyone who may want to see pics of a really nice LA (Vernon) President Speedster, check out Showbiz Kid's Thread under the 'Members Studebaker Pictures' Heading on this Forum. ( I'd like to obtain this vehicle's serial# for roster)

Comment

Not my thread (or car - unfortunately!) but it is a super nice example belonging to member cdevan. Check here for pix.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

To: warrlaw1,----- Your correct! The owner of the '55 President Speedster #2 Showcar also owns a second Yel/Grn car, Serial #7155257, again, new to the roster index list.

Comment

Another LA (Vernon) built President Speedster has surfaced! #7807065 6HK7-815 is alive, and awaiting restoration in Colorado. This vehicle makes the 15th 'new' '55 Speedster reported in the last three weeks.
                        Pretty good activity, I believe, for a limited model, that was produced for only about ten months 57 years ago!
                        Most interesting, the confirmation of the existence of the second of the original fourteen Factory Showcars, (#7150002 6HK5-2), and the report of the Maine Speedster with the 'factory experimental' paint (#7162560 6HK7-1090).
                        Wouldn't it be something if the very last Speedster that Studebaker built (#7170791 6HK7-2192), ( Thanks 'Studebaker Wheel' ), turns up??

Comment

Back when I was collaborating as JDPs west coast division, we brought to light at least 5 Speedsters. Two of which came looking for me! There was the yellow/green one that emerged in Anaheim and another that revealed itself to me from the Bay area. I sold the lemon-lime one to a fella in Livermore and he "restored" it. The other one, I don't know where it went. JDP found three others, and one by one they passed thru my hands here as I did what I could to prep them for ebay. There was at least one more that JDP wasn't able to swing a deal on, and I remember - at that time - being amazed at how many were to be found in this state alone. I'm sorry I didn't document our finds.
                          There IS one here in Visalia, but I don't know it's status. I provided some parts for it a number of years ago, but the owner really got screwed by some of the folks he hired to do specific work, and the project was in limbo for some years.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We all have our preferences on what is our favorites or not. Lots of people love the Hawks with the add on fins on the rear quarters...not wanting to offend anyone, but these finless Presidents are much more attractive to me than Hawks. Don't get me wrong, Hawks are good looking cars. But the finless models like this are gorgeous to me. I also love the grill on the '55. That sweeping chrome arc over the grill opening is just classic and sexy. Thanks for posting the link to that car.

SN-60, while collecting serial numbers for these surviving Presidents, us newer to the Stude brand guys would love to see more pics of them.

Comment

To: Roscomacaw,-------Yes, I know what You mean. Although less than 25% of the '55 President Speedsters produced were assembled in California, It seems that a good percentage of the LA (Vernon) cars have survived.
                              ( In comparison to South Bend production) Someone told Me it might have something to do with the calcium chloride We like to throw on our roads around here!!! Anyway, thanks for helping to preserve those five
                              President Speedsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X