PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/my '57 Transtar

oldwood
03-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I just bought a '57 Transtar with a flathead 6. I will have to cut down trees to get it out. I removed the wheels today to have some rollers mounted to them. I hope to post some pics.

Peanut
03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Nicely done! You'v got yourself a great start on your project. Those are sweet looking trucks, and yours looks to be in pretty nice shape, what with the trees threatening its very existence! Thanks for rescuing her, and welcom to the world of Studebakering. You won't regret it!

2R5
03-10-2012, 08:55 PM
oldwood, welcome and also love the truck !
You may want to post to the truck page where most of the Stude truck owners hang out.
Check it out
http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Orestudeguy
03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow considering the "elements" it's been sitting in. The body looks a lot better than I would have expected!

Roscomacaw
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Way to go! I just drove my '57 Transtar this morning. Took it to an estate sale so I could haul home the vintage ShopSmith I bought.

dnevin
03-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Welcome--and thanks for saving that truck. Looks pretty solid!

Deaf Mute
03-11-2012, 07:04 PM
It looks a lot better than my project & it looks as it you just got it out of there in time.... trees squish trucks as they age.

ozarkman
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Cool truck. Was this one in that yard that they guy won't sell anything from? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?59942-Salvage-yard-Studebakers
We would be honored if you would join us for our April meeting of the Arkansas chapter.

John K
03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Super looking truck! Congratulations and good luck with your project.

Dick Clemens
03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Give me acall at 247 6828 I'm in Mabelvale

studedick from the lower Ozarks

oldwood
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
It didn't want a new home but with some work and a roll back she has a new home. I thought I would dress him up with a new hood onament.

kmac530
03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
That is a real solid looking truck there.
Make sure all of the bottoms of the fenders, inside the doors, widshield A pillars, the header above the windshield....every nook and cranny you can find is cleared out of debris and varmint nests. This stuff causes rust easily. The only places my C-cab had any rust was in the places where mouse nests were and the pee had caused rust.
You will like the truck and there are tons of parts and supplies available for it and tremendous help here on this site. Welcome again.

Roscomacaw
03-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I like that ornament. Izzat Nash or Caddy? The truck DOES look solid. Check in the cab corners - inside, below where the gas filler tube goes thru. Over the years, coins and stuff found their weay from folks pockets to deep in those corners. There was a couple of bucks in change there when I first got Pete in '89! I once came across another Transtar in a wrecking yard that had $14 dollars in change (most of it silver!) in that little pocket.

oldwood
03-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Good guess on the Lady. The 5 ft Kingsnake that I almost stepped on didn't want me to have it. You know the snake knows your there before you see them. Then you see them and its "oh sheeeet". Its off of a Nash. I believe its a '47. I bought it with the stude. I couldn't pass on a $200 Nash. I'll sell what I can and crush the rest. The bottoms of the doors on the stude need help. I didn't need another project as I'm in the middle of a few but I couldn't let this one rot away.

aarrggh
03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
i would have brought home that VW too .....................

Roscomacaw
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM
There's pre-formed patch panels for those lower door areas.

oldwood
03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I just got off the phone with Dick Clemens, Great guy. He told me to not get in a hurry and this old stude will breath life again without spending big money. First I need to look at getting the brake system worked out and then tires to get it to a roller condition. Then its on to the mtr. Thanks for all the responses.

oldwood
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Wanted to show you my new "FREE" engine. Maybe not free because I had to pay for shipping ie.$200.00.

allstateguy
04-20-2012, 02:32 PM
this is my favorite kind of story here on the forum: Man finds stray, adopts it, brings it to safety, thinks about finding it a home, is encouraged by friends to get the stray healthy again, donations come in, smiles all around. Another Studebaker SAVED.
Maybe I'm a sap, but this aspect of the Studebaker hobby makes me smile more than all the critiques, super performance stuff, and shiny paint jobs.
Oh, I read all those, sometimes even tempted to shoot my mouth off.
But just my POV, these stories make it all worth while.

oldwood
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I know its not a direct bolt in since the starter is on the wrong side but I sure someone knows the list that I need to adopt the 1950 Commander engine in its new home. I also want this OD tranny to have its rightful place in the Transtar.

52-fan
04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Are you sure that's a Commander engine? It would be easier to tell from the other side, but it looks like a Champion to me. If the exhaust manifold runs almost straight, front to back, it's a Champion. If the manifolds curves up and back down on each end it's a Commander.

oldwood
04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry, my bad!!! It is a Champion mtr. I know its a smaller engine than what came in the '57 Transtar but I couldn't beat the price. I don't think there will be much difference in the power but I could be wrong.

snowy_buffalo
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Champion is around 169 cu in and Commander is 246 cu in so there is a difference in power.

One thing to remember on this one. It's a 50, so the electricals (starter and generator) are 6 volt where the 57 truck is 12 volt. Starter may be able to handle it but the generator needs to change or you'll always have a dead battery.

oldwood
04-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I figure the starter can handle it if it starts quickly. I guess I can use the generator off of the original engine. What are my next hurdles??? I know shifter and clutch linkage is an issue. So anyone have the "FIX" answers. Or is there anyone out there that has done this type of swap???

oldwood
04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
I just received the mtr and tranny. This motor appears to have been rebuilt at some point. The lack of grease and dirt build-up tells me something. The freeze plugs are shiney like silver dollars. I separated the tranny and the clutch disc and pressure plate are new. I was going to drop the pan to inspect a rod and main but I'm reconsidering doing that. However the intake manifold and air cleaner are very dirty. I've had some people suggest not to use this engine because its smaller but I'm on a tight budget. Just an update. Thanks for listening to my Ramble.

woodysrods
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Easier to open the motor up now and inspect it, and hopefully just have to put in a new gasket set and carry on. Then it is to gamble and put it in the truck, just to be pulling it out after a couple of hundred miles and redoing it?????
Just my 2 cents worth.
Good Luck with your new project.....maybe a little cut polish will bring back some of that red paint and leave it with great patina!
Good Roads
Brian

oldwood
04-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Your right. Whats a few dollars and a minutes worth of air ratchet time. I'll be sure to post pics of the oil pan and main/rod bearings.