Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decision time:1932 Studebaker, restore it or part it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision time:1932 Studebaker, restore it or part it out?

I need some help or encouragement making a decision. I've been struggling over what to do with my 1932 Studebaker Six Regal sedan. Long story short: I bought this absolutely rust-free survivor car in pieces about 10 years ago. Spent a couple of months putting it back together and getting it running, just to see what I had. I drove it 400 or so miles, even drove it to the 2004 ASC Northwest Zone meet. Shortly after that, I decided to restore it and started to disassemble it. In 2005, my wife passed away and I put the project on hold. Now I am trying to decide what to do with the car. It is worth more in pieces than it would be if I spent $15- $20K to restore it. A set of six chrome artillery wheels would probably bring $2500, a pair of straight rust free side mount front fenders is worth $2000, complete, working instrument panel $500, grill shell, $800, luggage rack & trunk, $700, running motor & trans, $600, seats, $300, radiator cap, $300, maybe another 4-5 thousand $$ for all the misc other parts. I doubt if a restored 1932 Studebaker Six sedan would be worth much more than $12,000 in today's economy. Anybody else ever faced this dilemma before? Any ideas or words of encouragement? Getting too old to want to take on any more major projects any more.

R2 Hawk,

You know we want pictures. I've been looking for an oldie for 3 years, waiting to find the right one. I would say, If this car was driving and good enough for you to buy, it is good enough to put back together. When it comes to these oldies they are simple and easy to get going good enough to enjoy if you set realistic goals and set a budget.

The other thing to remember is how many of these survive? How many are currently being restored? If you start parting this out, you may or may not have enough interest and then what do you do with stuff that does not sell?

(please do not part it out)

Comment

I have to agree with (S). If Your not up to re-assembling that '32, it would be great if You first try to sell it as a complete car needing restoration.

Comment

Please, please do not part it out. If you don't want to restore it, sell it to someone that will. Even if you don't get as much money for it... Do the right thing - save the car.

Did you expect any other kind of response from this forum?
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Personally, I think your price estimates for the individual items are a bit high but who knows until you try to sell them. I suggest putting the car together if its not in a million pieces. As stated above, pictures would be helpful.

Comment

I vote to keep it intact - one way or another. 32 was a tough year for Studebaker. There can't be alot of them still extant.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A car as solid and complete as yours sounds, ought to be restored (or, heck, even rodded if it adds more miles to the odometer that way). We can't make financial decisions for you, but none of us are leaving this life with our money or our cars. I do hope you will thoughtfully consider selling the entire project to one person who will get her back on the road, as she was intended.
              ~Matt Connor
              '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Hi,
                If you want to sell the cylinder head or the complete motor and trans, I would be interested. I have a place I ship from in Kansas when I want the heavy stuff brought to the UK

Regards
                Greg Diffen
                Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

ed it a great car from what i saw it need to be restored not lost ed in covallis

Comment

I sent you a PM, I bet you you get a few about this beauty!

Comment

Your car, your money.

I know some may be upset with me.

If someone won`t give you the money you want as a complete car, and you think you will get more in parts, the correct business decision would be to part it out and that would maximize what you - the investor - gets. However, selling parts involves a lot more time and effort.

Your car, your money, your investment.

Comment

i agree with most of the above: try to keep it together!!! if you don't want to put it back together, let another have the honor!

if you haven't checked the "Antique Studebaker Forum", it's here:
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Paul's point is well taken. Parting out may ultimately produce more profit. It will also drag it out, requiring a great amount of publicizing, packaging and shipping, and will leave you with a pile of unsold but otherwise useful pieces.

A friend of mine lost interest in his '37 Coupe Express after completing a gorgeous rolling chassis, with everything necessary to complete. He put it on Ebay and a buyer from Canada sent two trailers to haul it home. Everybody was satisfied.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Go to Ebay. "Completed listings" See what the parts you listed have sold for. To get a better idea of prices.
                            As "S" said, What do you do with the parts that don't sell ? A lot of work and hours goes into getting the parts shipped.
                            Is it worth your time and effort ?
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Well, since you asked, here goes....this is car is not like a Lark, as in it's not quite so common, we're talking a complete 1932 Studebaker here. If you really, really need the cash, then part it out....but it kinda sounds like you really don't need the cash to put food on the table, so I would be inclined to agree with Sdude and do the right thing...let it go to someone who is going to build it back into a running car, and put another pre-war Stude on the street. Sometimes in the hobby, it's not all about the $. Just one's opinion. Regards, Junior.
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X