PDA

View Full Version : '62 & '63 Hub Cap Options

CarCrosswordDan
03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I got a new Studebaker book today named "Studebaker Hawks & Larks" by Brooklands books. It appears to be a compillation of road test articles from sources like Motor Trend. It is very interesting. All the pictures in the book seem to be of brand new, factory stock cars as they were delivered by Studebaker (or a dealer) for testing purposes. Here's my observation and question. They have an article about a '63 Wagonaire on pages 112-117 and an article about a '62 GT Hawk on pages 102-105. Oddly, (at least to me) both cars display a hubcap I've never seen before on any Studebaker cars. It is a 4 bar spinner, almost exactly like those of a '57 & '58 Dodge Lancer. Very popular hubcaps for kids growing up in the 60's, and ended up on a lot of hot rods and custom cars. Anyone know of such hubcaps and which models they might have been available on ? Sorry for the lengthy question. Thanks, Dan

(S)
03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Technically, a hub cap is what some people refer to as dog dish, poverty caps etc. These were standard. Studebaker had ACCesorys, called full disc wheel covers, in 63, it was plainish, with an S in the middle and white stripes. The one you see in the photos is another Accesory cover, and in the day was expensive, so you rarely see them today.

A 63 ACCY book shows the different caps, and ACC wheel covers.

Roscomacaw
03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
What (S) neglected to say is that these 4-bar covers were called "Aerostrut" wheelcovers. They were an option that not many folks (Studebaker folks) opted for. And unlike the standard caps and covers that were of stainless steel, these were part chrome-plated steel and part chromed pot metal. They tended to rust and pit into oblivion over time. That could account, in part, for their being so rare in the new millenium.

CarCrosswordDan
03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Roscomacaw, very comprehensive answer, thanks. They are very good looking to me. Do they ever come up as NOS available parts? Dan

03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Roscomacaw, very comprehensive answer, thanks. They are very good looking to me. Do they ever come up as NOS available parts? Dan
I have had a couple sets of them over the years, but I would never drive with them on a car. They are quite heavy and, with radials flexing the rims, you couldn't keep them on the wheels.

Roscomacaw
03-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I have seen the very occassional set come up for sale thru the years (not recently). I have one decent cover in my collection. It really needs rechroming. There's a BUNCH of look-alikes out there. This supplier certainly served several auto makers with this same basic cover. The thing that identifies the Stude version is that the center area (under the bars and dome) has radiating rays stamped into the steel cover. Other versions have a checkerboard or maybe other pattern.

StudeRich
03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
If you have ever seen a Dodge Lancer Wheel Cover or a '55 Olds tri bar spinner in person, you would not compare these odd looking chromed things to nice Stainless Steel Covers. They were some of the best designs ever. They must have been, because in the 1950's they were like Honda Accords... the most stolen ever, but just for a different reason!

Bullet
03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Here are a couple pictures of the accessory spinner hubcaps. There were on a 1963 at Glendale 2010.

Mark

Roscomacaw
03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
"Aerostruts", Mark - Aerostruts. See the radiating white rays? That's the genuine article. I'd love to see a set of those in motion. I don't think I've ever witnessed such.

bezhawk
03-14-2012, 07:38 PM
My fav's are still the Air Flow wheel covers of 62-63

mbstude
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Here are a couple pictures of the accessory spinner hubcaps. There were on a 1963 at Glendale 2010.

Mark

I know the owner of that car. After that meet, he bought a set of NOS Aero-Struts from me for another car.

Welcome
03-14-2012, 08:41 PM
>>>After that meet, he bought a set of NOS Aero-Struts from me for another car.

...and I'll bet he paid more for that NOS set than I paid for a brand new set of Areo-Struts from Studebaker SASCO!!!:rolleyes:;)

I bought my new set from Studebaker SASCO in 1962 or 63 when they were getting rid of them for the bargin basement price of around $20 for a set of 4. I installed them on my black '57 Hawk and promptly had 2 stolen while parked on the streets of South Bend. Went back to buy a replacement set and they were all sold out.:( Studebaker International can probably look up the number on the old Studebaker SASCO's inventory card and find out how many sets they ever had, but I'm guessing there were only about 500 sets ever built for Studebakers.