PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Gas Leak. What is this object?

CodyC
03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey Guys. I have started leaking gas from this gas holder on the left side of the engine. see circled in yellow in pic. When my car is on.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2hns8ly.jpg
What is this device? Would I take it out by unscrewing the 2 big nuts? I took them out and it didn't seem like it wanted to come out very easily. Do I just need to pull hard or is there another means to get it out to look at it?
If my embedded image doesn't work you can see it here. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hns8ly&s=5

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Fuel pump. Need one? Contact me.

rockne10
03-10-2012, 01:15 PM
FUEL PUMP.
Two bolts, two hoses. Should come right out. Pressure you feel is from spring-loaded pump arm resting on cam.
New or rebuilt pump will require a new gasket as well.

CodyC
03-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Ah. So I can pull it right out to have a look at if I unscrew the bolts? And i will let you know S.C.O.O.!

I see. Thanks for the info Rockne. I will have a go at it.

showbizkid
03-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Cody, if your fuel pump is leaking, the diaphragm (a part that creates vacuum and pressure, alternately, to suck fuel from the gas tank and send it to the carb) is likely worn out. You can rebuild the pump, but it is likely more expedient to replace it.

52hawk
03-10-2012, 02:27 PM
It's probably stuck to the block with gasket sealer. Pullhard or tap with a small hammer.[TAP, not POUND!!!]

CodyC
03-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I took it out and apart. the diaphragms look pretty decent. I think someone recently put new ones in before I got the car. I think the problem is the second gasket that is held on by the screw at the bottom of the pump. The whole bottom half the pump turned easily in my hand and gas seeped out through that area, which is where I thought I could see the leak coming from. I took the reservoir off and screwed that bottom screw in tight so it doesn't turn now.
Upon putting the assembly back in to the block I noticed it wouldn't go in very easily. Is the lever at the top supposed to push in pretty well naturally? Sorry if that sounds confusing.
P.S. I love the look of the fuel pump! it's awesome with the bottom glass reservoir. (Which I cleaned out btw.)

Skip Lackie
03-10-2012, 03:22 PM
If you look at the actuating arm that goes into the engine block, you will see a worn area on the top. That is where the camshaft pushes on it. So you need to angle the pump body downward a bit at first to make sure that you get that rod under the camshaft lobe. You then have to push the bottom of the pump body in a bit to compress the pump and align the bolt holes.

Blue 15G
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Also, when you reinstall the pump tighten the bolts until snug and then just a little bit more. Don't keep tightening too much or you could crack the housing of the pump.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

CodyC
03-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the tip Blue. I put it back in like Skip said and it started just fine. I don't see or smell any leak so I think it's good. I will keep an eye on it though for sure.