Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Faulty sending unit?

Hie!
    The gasoline gauge on my chippewa green 53' Starlight has started to act weirdly.

When the Stude has been standing still for a while, with the battery main switch disconnected, the gasoline gauge springs to life after the main switch have been connected and the ignition has been turned on.

However, as soon as I turn the ignition OFF, then ON again, the gasoline gauge is "dead"...

If I disconnect the battery for a short while, tha gasoline gauge MAY come to life again, but quite often the car has to stay with the battery diconnected for a while, for the gasoline gauge to come back to life again.

I suspect this is due to a faulty sending unit(worn contact points) in the tank, but thought I could check if anyone else has experiences in this field, before I take out the unit.
    \"There are two speeds in life - flat out and faster\"(Burt Munro)

1953 Starliner(\"hot rod\" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original - SOLD...).
    Proud member of SDC:-)

Kvinesdal, Norway(land of vikings and midnight sun) :-)

Sounds more like an intermittent poor ground than a faulty sender. Have you checked all the connections between the sender and dash? Checked the engine ground strap? Wiring from the sender forward? I'm betting you find a dirty, corroded connection or a loose terminal somewhere.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

To: Ralphie,----- I'm with showbizkid on a possible poor ground. clean all connections thoroughly...Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X