59 silver hawk - my first Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 silver hawk - my first Studebaker

Hi all, just picked up my 59 silverhawk, traded for a few days of dozer work, but it needs some work. This should be an interesting project, provided I can come up with the time and money. Are these things common? Parts availability? Had never considered a Studebaker, but it kinda fell into my lap. I do think its a really neat looking car, and I can't wait to get started in it. Any tips or advice would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A 59 Hawk is a fine car. Hopefully, yours is not too rusty, but all of these cars have certain areas that are prone to need help after all these years. Parts are avaiable and information is plentiful. Please post pictures so we can better advise you.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

You can start with some catalogues. Studebaker International and Classic Enterprises have great catalogues that will give you some encouragement. You should then order the Body Parts Catalogue, Chassis Parts Catalogue and the shop manual. Take lots of pictures as you tear things down, join the SDC and go to some swap meets. Welcome aboard!
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Welcome to Stude-landia! I think you definitely got the better end of that trade. And there are plenty of helpful folks here on the forum. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

Maybe you can post a few pics when you get the opportunity. We're all about the pics on this forum!
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

If you received it "for a few days of dozer work", one must assume it has been languishing for some time.
          Posting photos here will garner substantial feedback.

I encourage you to read this fine article, located in the technical pages of this very web site.

Explore the links available here.

Do order the necessary catalogs and manual from one of our fine vendors.

and join the SDC, as well as your local SDC chapter.

Can assume you are in Ohio; your profile doesn't indicate north, east, south or west.
          Find your local chapter here.
          Last edited by rockne10; 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys, I will get a few pics. the body is very straight, hole in drivers floor pan and trunk, but thats it. comes with a spare set of fenders and doors, and original engine and tranny, there are replacements out of a 63? maybe in it now. Supposedly an older fella was fixing it up when he died, radiator needs put in, new battery, and throttle needs hooked up, but then she should be runnin (i hope). I will try to post the pic i have from my phone as soon as I can, but I am not all that computer savvy.

Comment

Is the 63 engine a V-8? If you arent 100% set on a factory-original restoration, that later full-flow engine would be preferred for your powerplant, IMHO.
              ~Matt Connor
              '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

I believe that it is a v8. to be honest, i have only seen the car a few times. Looked when the offer came up, did the work agreed on, loaded her up on the trailer, dropped it in the shop where it sits now. Hopefully I can find a few hours to get some stuff done on it. I agreed to do this in large part because the body is very good. Everything is smooth and straight. There are a few bubbles showing up, but none bigger than a pencil eraser. Hole i could almost sneak a hand through in drivers floor and right rear in the trunk, near a body mount or spring mount or something.
                I had never even considered a Studebaker, and you could barely fill a coffee cup with what i know about them. I have never restored a car before, or hot rodded one, this will all be new to me lol. I have run a grading and clearing company for apout 12 years now, running stuff thats not brand new, so I am pretty handy with a wrench. Sheet metal and body work are COMPLETLY forgien to me, so I am a little nervous, but there is a guy I know who has done nothing but buid hot rods for the last 40 years, and he is a master with a planishing hammer and english wheel. But again, the body is straight, so hopefully it wont come up much.
                I have a pretty basic shop, a Bridgeport, Cinci traytop lathe, 65 ton Scotchman, few migs and a engine driven stick, but there is a high precision shop next door that will do stuff for me just as a good neighbor. It looks like parts are pretty easy to come by. I am getting the impression that Studebaker used some big 3 parts, which is a pleasant surprise.
                I may get the gumption to run over to the shop to take a few pics, I will try to get them posted so you guys can see what I am workin with. It will turn more heads than any chevy, I am sure of that, I just love the way it looks, takes you back to a whole nother era.
                Thanks again

Comment

Lets hope this works
                  Attached Files

Comment

few more pics

the not so good stuff. I ran over and grabbed a few pics, didnt wait for the lights to really warm up, but i think you get the idea. Only real bad spots seem like drivers floor and trunk corner. Frame seems to be in good shape. Needs carpet as well. Is a V-8, beyond that, I have no clue. I have no idea what they put in these things.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Contact Leroy Cary for your rear trunk corners; no sense in re-inventing the wheel there. You can also ask him if he has patches for those front corners and door posts.
                      If he doesn't, Classic Enterprises does.

Cary's Fabricating Service
                      5270 Dennisville Road
                      Amelia Court House, VA 23002
                      (804) 561-3526
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Congratulations on your Hawk and Welcome to the forum.
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

That's a great start for that car. Take your time, patch a few holes and get it driving. Then start saving parts for when you want to do a total. You have a lot more to work with than I did.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Looks like a great car. My 57 has a 63 V8, come to think of it my 63 does too! They are awsome engines. There is a new forum being developed here dedicated to 59 Silverhawks. Join that if you can figgure out how. They also accept other years Silverhawks so I signed up, but cant tell you how to do it, as I am barely computer literate myself. NT
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

Hey Ohioguy! I'm looking forward to meeting you - I'm in Columbus and have a '59 Silver Hawk. You can stop by to take a peak and compare to what you have. And join our chapter too! We meet about once a month somewhere around central Ohio. March 24th at Jake's Restaurant in Mt. Vernon and April 14th back in Columbus, etc. Click on my name and send me a private message. We can exchange emails and phone numbers.
                              John
                              59 Silver Hawk
                              3E12D-122-C4

Comment

Working...
                              X