Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever install their own headliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever install their own headliner?

I was looking at the headliner in the Commander and it is quite stained, drooping, has a few holes, probably has a stank to it. So I thought how hard could it be to put a headliner in? I went on ebay and noticed that you can buy rolls of material and dynamat type material.

I figure I could pull the old one down, sand and paint the interior then put a new headliner in. Sounds easy enough.... so the question becomes:

Is this an easy thing to do? or am I out of my mind?

One website said that I would need 3 people to do it! Seems a bit much to me
    Last edited by cultural infidel; 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

You'll need a sewing machine to put in the bow pockets and you'll have to be a better seamstress than I am. (Not hard). Easier to buy pre-made headliner. Bows go in pockets and perimeter is glued up. Messy, but not too dificult.

Bob
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

My wife and I put in headliners in two of our vehicles. Each one had different methods of keeping them in place, the best advise I have is do NOT think you are smarter than the instructions, it'll end up in your lap! Some have spring loaded strips, some just glue in, both I fooled with also tucked behind glass rubber and other screw held trim pieces. If you're patient- -very- - it really isn't too hard ......on some vehicles. Sorry, but we didn't do any of our Studes, cars or trucks, they were all OK. Good luck, John

Comment

the other option i was thinking was to try and steam clean it and sew some patches where there are holes. I have also sent an RFQ in to a local upholstery shop to see how much they would charge for a simple run of the mill install.

Comment

I've done several of them and they aren't bad. If you use the old one for a pattern it works out fairly well but the pre-made ones have straighter stitching than I can do. If you make your own leave plenty to trim as you go. It does take some time and care to get it straight and tight. It is a really good time to do the windlace too. Also replace the dome light wiring while it is out.
          rob

Comment

On some models you have to either remove the front and rear glass or install tack strips to attach the headliner to. It is difficult to stretch the fabric and staple it at the same time. I would not try to sew one up yourself unless you are really good at upholstery. My 54 had stuffing bars along the sides which made it easy to get it tight but is was real difficult to get out the wrinkles in the corners by the front window.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM View Post
              On some models you have to either remove the front and rear glass or install tack strips to attach the headliner to. It is difficult to stretch the fabric and staple it at the same time. I would not try to sew one up yourself unless you are really good at upholstery. My 54 had stuffing bars along the sides which made it easy to get it tight but is was real difficult to get out the wrinkles in the corners by the front window.
              thanks for the tip.

I may end up going the cheap route for a while... paint the ceiling and then install the dynamat... then down the road get the headliner part professionally done.

Comment

I replace the one in my 1953 coupe 40 years ago. I purchased a pre made
                one that had five bows. I do not know for sure if I did it properly as there were no instructions with but it looked great when I was done. It took one afternoon. At the time the headliner was about $25.

Comment

I have replaced three or four in 56Js, and even made a couple, but that's a whole different animal than the cloth ones. I replaced the cloth one in a GT less than a year ago, and the wind-lace while at it. I would not know where to even begin in making a cloth headliner, but installation was not that bad, especially since both windshields were out. It took me a lot more than a day however, more like three or four, including drying time for glue, Herculiner in the metal top, etc..

Comment

Rene Harger vacuum forms headliners. He did for me, picking it up on one of my trips to Tenn. last month. Will have a professional cover it in leather, secure it in place and trim accordingly.

Comment

Make sure you number the bows as you take them out. Each one is different. And save the old headliner for a pattern if you are not going to buy one made to fit.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more that I am leaning towards buying one made to fit. Is this something that I can get from SI? or is there another vendor?

Comment

Many vendors, including non-Stude specific vendors can supply them.

Bob Johnstone's site has good advice and pictures on headliner installation on Studes.
                          Last edited by kurtruk; 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM. Reason: I'd been up 21 hours.
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Which site would that be, please
                            1947 M5 under restoration
                            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                              Which site would that be, please
                              That would be Bob Johnstone's website here:

StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967