engine names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine names

I was reading some old turning wheels and they talked about 259 bearcat and pass master engines. What do these name signify?

To: K-Hawk,-----They signify that Whoever dreamt up the names for the '55 and '56 engines had colorful imaginations! (I thought the engine names Studebaker used in '63,'64 were neat also)

Comment

My favorite are the ones used for WW2 aircraft such as Wildcat, Bearcat, Thunderbolt and even the Skybolt rocket, later used for a plane also.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
        I was reading some old turning wheels and they talked about 259 bearcat and pass master engines. What do these name signify?
        Just NAMES, for 1955 259 Engines, "Pacesetter" for the "224", even a "Torque Star" and "Route Star" for Transtar Trucks.

No 289's were included because they were not invented yet!

1956 & 57's were "Sweepstakes" 259 and 289.

It's the same as "Duramax" and "Powerstroke", no more than names, some advertising agency probably came up with.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My old Hawk motor was called "Smokin Joe" not by Studebaker however.
          pb

Comment

To: StudeRich,------------- You forgot one for '56 .........THE SKYPOWER 352!!!!!! (How could You?)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              To: StudeRich,------------- You forgot one for '56 .........THE SKYPOWER 352!!!!!! (How could You?)
              Lol! Simple... I don't care! AND; it is out of the scope of the 1955 engine name question.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-07-2012, 09:20 PM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: StudeRich,------ You don't CARE!!!! Now You've gone and insulted all the '56 Golden Hawk owners out there!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think you have that wrong, THEY need to care if they own one, I do NOT since I would not take one as a gift.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know what a Flathead, knucklehead, panhead, ironhead, shovelhead, evo, blockhead, and chunkheads are.... not that I care about HDs anymore.

Comment

It's all about marketing!

Comment

Naming a consumer product is difficult. The manufacturer wants a name which suggests attributes far beyond the actual merit of the product. No wonder Mad Men had three martinis at lunch. Imagine a Campbell-Ewall copywriter being paid big bucks to come up with "Blue Flame Six" to describe the Chevy stovebolt anchor sick six.

After Studebaker had a series like President, Commander, Dictator, what else could have used for their 1939 economy car? Obviously, it's smaller, less expensive, less powerful, so maybe Representative? Councilman? Second Lieutenant? Sargeant? Chevy actually called one of their medium trucks "Top Kick". While "Econo-Miler" would have been closer to the actual function of the car, "CHAMPION" suggested a far greater pride of ownership. Probably the right choice.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

I don't think my engine has a name, other than R2 (NOT to be confused with R2D2)... does anyone know otherwise? My Hawk DOES have a name, howver, she is Henrietta, as in Henrietta Hawk......
                          ....forgot about "Jet Thrust", but my point is, there's no decal anywhere that says, "my name is XXXX"......., just those crummy old chrome valve covers!
                          Last edited by 63 R2 Hawk; 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

THE SKYPOWER 352!!!!!! . . . . I would not take one as a gift.
                            Rich and I agree about many things Studebaker, but on this we're likely to fight. To me, the '56J is the first and best Studebaker muscle car. If only S-P had the courage to offer a real Power Hawk with the 374" 2x4 Caribbean engine and TwinTraction as a factory option and the Jet Stream kit as a dealer-installed option, they might still be in business ;>)

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

I think Studebaker really hit the nail on the head in '56 with the SWEEPSTAKES and the SKYPOWER engine decals. Not only were the names catchy, but the decals themselves had a lot of 'pizzaz' and eyeball appeal.
                              (In My opinion)

Comment

Working...
                              X