Trunk Weather Strip Channel Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Trunk Weather Strip Channel Replacement

I need to replace the weather strip channels around my trunk. The channels on my parts car are rotted also. I see that classic enterprises has them but theirs are straight, not curved to match the curves of the car. The channels they sell appear to have a short flange for welding to the body.

My question is, how do you bend these channels to match the body, when one side has the flange to weld to the body. Without the flange I may be able to use a stretcher to form the channel to match the body. The only thing I can think of is to cut the flange off, form the piece to match the curve of the body and then try to butt weld it to the car without the flange.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I'm not visualizing your specific project, but usually you need to make a series of cuts about 1" or so apart, then you can form it to the curve of the original panel. Once fitted, you weld up the cuts and grind them flat. It can be tedious and you have to be careful not to lose the matching contour of the deck lid. I've done similar patches, and it usually takes me a couple of tries before I get it right.

Comment

That is the answer I was expecting. Guess I was just hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks
      Wayne
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

'53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I have a shrinker / stretcher set. Unfortunately, the way the channels are made their is a flange about 1/2" wide attached to the top of one leg of the channel that gets welded to the body of the car. With that flange there, I don't think you can use a shrinker / stretcher. Wish I could draw a picture of the shape of the channel so ya'll could see what I am trying to describe. Imagine a U shaped channel with a horizontal line (flange) coming off the top of one leg of the U.

U""

Imagine the "" marks beside the U are a line attached to the U. That is the shape of the weather strip channel replacement piece.

Thanks
          Wayne
          Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
            I have a shrinker / stretcher set. Unfortunately, the way the channels are made their is a flange about 1/2" wide attached to the top of one leg of the channel that gets welded to the body of the car. With that flange there, I don't think you can use a shrinker / stretcher. Wish I could draw a picture of the shape of the channel so ya'll could see what I am trying to describe. Imagine a U shaped channel with a horizontal line (flange) coming off the top of one leg of the U.

U""

Imagine the "" marks beside the U are a line attached to the U. That is the shape of the weather strip channel replacement piece.

Thanks
            Wayne
            Wayne

Cut a piece of plywood or MDF the shape of the channel and mount it on a piece of hardwood. Cut a piece of sheet metal that shape and large enough to account for the lips then clamp it to the channel shaped piece with a similar shaped piece. You have made a wood/metal/wood sandwich. Take a body hammer and form the metal around the shape. You can either cut small pieces out as you go to allow the metal to form easily and then weld the cuts or don't make the cuts and keep forming and folding the metal until it's folded on itself and only slightly thicker than the parent metal.

It may take a couple of tries to get it right but you will have learned a valuable skill for further reference. It can be done, I did it so anybody can.

Good luck, Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X