Turner disc brake rotor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Turner disc brake rotor question

My Lark is (slowly) getting closer to being roadworthy (exhaust is now on my bucket list) so my next project will be the front brakes, the rears have been updated/fixed since I swapped in a 1970's Ford Granada 8" rear end.

Question: I'm leaning towards Jim's front disc brake kit for obvious reasons but, instead of using 1968-69 Mustang, etc. rotors, can I use some species of 5 on 4.5" (114.3 MM) slide off disc over my original front drum brake hubs? I've already installed the 1968 Mustang disc brake master cylinder since the original single reservoir unit was bad.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

'Wait a minute, Pierce: A Bucket List is things you intend to do before passing away! Gulp. <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You probably could! When you find the right rotor, let me know! <G> I have been using the 68-69 Mustang rotors since 1983 when I put the first kit on my Avanti. I have "heard" that these rotors are too expensive and hard to come by. Well, I order 12-16 rotors at a time, and usually have them the next day. I do get a better price because of the quantity, BUT, they are not that expensive. They are an 11 1/4" vented rotor, uses the A-2 and A-6 bearing (same as Studebaker) IF for any reason you wanted to remove them and put the stock brakes back on, you can, because there is NO machining done on the hubs, or spindles to make them fit.

Now 2 questions: 1: How often do you think you will need to replace the rotors? (I stil have the original ones on my Avanti) 2: Do you think the Mustang boys will ever let them become obsolete? (I doubt it very much)

There are other kits out there, Steel Tech, has changed his rotor a couple times, and Tom (SBC96 on the forum) who makes a very nice machined bracket for 13" mustang brakes, but Toms kit requires 16" wheels, and the hubs need to be machined so that the $20.00 rotors will fit over the hubs. AND you have custom machined parts. Again, Toms kit is a nice looking kit, but if you're in the middle of "nowhere" and you have a failure (unlikely, but happens) what are you going to do?
      All my parts other than my brackets, are off the shelf from a parts store. They may not stock the rotors, but should be ab;e to get them in a day or two at the most.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

not sure who's kit I used but it used ranger rotors, GM G body calipers and ford bearings. There was a spacer that had to be pressed on but no big deal. It all went on easy and works great.

Comment

I've used the Turner kit and found it to be of very high quality and the technical support first rate (answering all of my stupid questions with patience and solid information.) I can't recommend it highly enough.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
          X